Scott McKenna Bid

46 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Plays 4 games a season against championship level opposition, rest league 1 at best (unless Rangers find some cash ). May look great at that level but no real guide to how he would fair in England. Stevie May springs to mind.

There are 4 or so teams Aberdeen players would play against in league games that are Championship standard in the SPFL and that’s not including internationals or any European games he plays for Aberdeen. So that’s at least 16 games a season.

And there’s a big difference between May who had one good season in Scotland and an established international like McKenna who has had a transfer bid of £7.5m turned down for him previously. May can’t even get a game in the SPFL these days and it looks like he’s going to be dropping down a division. The clubs that are after McKenna speak volumes and with the greatest respect even Liam Lindsay looks decent in the English Championship. It’s honestly not that much of a step up.

50 minutes ago, Quist said:

I seriously hope not I don’t rate him at all. Findlay at Killie would be a far better cheaper option than Bates. 

Edited by edinburghowl

5 hours ago, dumboldowl said:

In an ideal world there would be no transfer window. The game managed without one for 150 years.

Wholeheartedly agree !

IMO the transfer windows, at least in part, are responsible for the ridiculous explosion in transfer costs over the last 15 years or so.

The windows encourage the selling clubs to delay deals until the last 24/48 hours knowing, full well, that the buying clubs become more desperate as the hours tick by. Then, armed with gazillions of Sky TV pounds, they pay vastly inflated fees for the player they want.

These inflated fees then set a new benchmark for the asking price from the start of the next window.

Absolute madness!!! :wacko:

2 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

There are 4 or so teams Aberdeen players would play against in league games that are Championship standard in the SPFL and that’s not including internationals or any European games he plays for Aberdeen. So that’s at least 16 games a season.

And there’s a big difference between May who had one good season in Scotland and an established international like McKenna who has had a transfer bid of £7.5m turned down for him previously. May can’t even get a game in the SPFL these days and it looks like he’s going to be dropping down a division. The clubs that are after McKenna speak volumes and with the greatest respect even Liam Lindsay looks decent in the English Championship. It’s honestly not that much of a step up.

I seriously hope not I don’t rate him at all. Findlay at Killie would be a far better cheaper option than Bates. 

.I have heard lots of good reports about McKenna. I know nothing about Bates. he has not played for Hamburg or been on bench in first two games of Hamburg SV season. Mixed reports on him nothing good on him except decent in air.

53 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Plays 4 games a season against championship level opposition, rest league 1 at best (unless Rangers find some cash ). May look great at that level but no real guide to how he would fair in England. Stevie May springs to mind.

As does Virgil Van Dijk..

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

As does Virgil Van Dijk..

Or indeed Glenn Loovens. 

There is always going to be an element of risk involved in taking a 22 year old centre-back from another league, the SPL included.  For every Robertson or Mcginn,  there is a Mark Reynolds or Stevie May, and a bunch that turn out just 'alright'.  

The point is - if you don't throw the dice at all, you won't lose but you can't win either.  

McKenna's a player. Would do well in the Championship, and even if we don't go up then I'd expect him to become a saleable asset and move for a multiple of what we pay for him. A very good alternative to Hector.

I think Bates is underrated. He's properly quick, and while he was very raw when he was at Rangers, a year in Germany seems to have taught him a lot. He'd be a decent option i think. Not on the level of McKenna or Hector, but also nothing like their price either! At 22, he'll get better and he does have all the attributes (speed, strength, height) to be a top defender imo. Whether he'll develop the understanding to be one remains to be seen, as with most players his age really. Afaik he's still in the final stages of recovering from injury, so, not sure there's anything really in this rumour.

Findlay is probably the option I'm least certain about. He had a good season last season, but hasn't played anything but Scottish Prem sides. No caps.. and Killies Europa dream crashed and burned before it started. That would help us if we moved for him i guess. He should do fine in the Championship.

16 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Or indeed Glenn Loovens. 

There is always going to be an element of risk involved in taking a 22 year old centre-back from another league, the SPL included.  For every Robertson or Mcginn,  there is a Mark Reynolds or Stevie May, and a bunch that turn out just 'alright'.  

The point is - if you don't throw the dice at all, you won't lose but you can't win either.  

Would you throw a 7million dice I know I wouldnt.

38 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

So you say 5 teams would survive in championship. I have to beg to differ. The team that finished 4th last year were knocked out of europe by a part time welsh outfit. As for playing decent teams in europe how many qualified for later stages of Europa league ??. I would say 2 at best are championship standard. Celtic really the only team that would be lower end premier. Aberdeen and 7million pound players not a risk I would take.

As a bit of an Aberdeen fan I’d be gutted to lose him but love him to have him here. A great prospect, Celtic were sniffing a while ago as Celtic always do! But he wants to test himself in England and the club have said he can go if not in this window then the next, it won’t happen today though, they are not desperate to sell and as they have a game tonight in which he is definitely playing it would take an amazing bid to prise him away.

He could make us money in the future, I really do rate him, composed, good defensively and chips in with goals.

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

So you say 5 teams would survive in championship. I have to beg to differ. The team that finished 4th last year were knocked out of europe by a part time welsh outfit. As for playing decent teams in europe how many qualified for later stages of Europa league ??. I would say 2 at best are championship standard. Celtic really the only team that would be lower end premier. Aberdeen and 7million pound players not a risk I would take.

That’s your opinion, it seems there are a few clubs that seem to be willing to pay a fee in that region for McKenna.

The two Glasgow and Edinburgh sides are Championship level clubs (as are Aberdeen) on and off the park. Barnsley beat Fulham who were in the Premier League last season last weekend. I’m confident the Edinburgh clubs would beat teams like Barnsley and have better players, and they have superior off field setups.

44 minutes ago, Quist said:

.I have heard lots of good reports about McKenna. I know nothing about Bates. he has not played for Hamburg or been on bench in first two games of Hamburg SV season. Mixed reports on him nothing good on him except decent in air.

You’re spot on, Bates is out of favour so not playing. He’s a cheaper option but if the cash is there for a Hector or McKenna that’s clearly the better option and strengthens the starting XI.

22 minutes ago, cookeh said:

McKenna's a player. Would do well in the Championship, and even if we don't go up then I'd expect him to become a saleable asset and move for a multiple of what we pay for him. A very good alternative to Hector.

I think Bates is underrated. He's properly quick, and while he was very raw when he was at Rangers, a year in Germany seems to have taught him a lot. He'd be a decent option i think. Not on the level of McKenna or Hector, but also nothing like their price either! At 22, he'll get better and he does have all the attributes (speed, strength, height) to be a top defender imo. Whether he'll develop the understanding to be one remains to be seen, as with most players his age really. Afaik he's still in the final stages of recovering from injury, so, not sure there's anything really in this rumour.

Findlay is probably the option I'm least certain about. He had a good season last season, but hasn't played anything but Scottish Prem sides. No caps.. and Killies Europa dream crashed and burned before it started. That would help us if we moved for him i guess. He should do fine in the Championship.

To be honest if we are being linked with McKenna and Hector, then I agree if either of Bates or Findlay signed it would be a drop in quality and disappointing! 

I’m not a fan of Bates. He barely played in the SPFL for Rangers and he has looked way out of depth in his few Scotland caps. Whilst he is young I don’t think the Hamburg fans rated him much either. He was dropped towards the end of the season and they had a poor season for a club that size in the Bundesliga II. He wouldn’t be someone I’d want us to sign to play. Possibly a project and squad depth but not a starter.

4 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I’m not a fan of Bates. He barely played in the SPFL for Rangers and he has looked way out of depth in his few Scotland caps. Whilst he is young I don’t think the Hamburg fans rated him much either. He was dropped towards the end of the season and they had a poor season for a club that size in the Bundesliga II. He wouldn’t be someone I’d want us to sign to play. Possibly a project and squad depth but not a starter.

I'm curious what you think he did wrong in any of his caps. We won 3 of the 4, 2 of those with clean sheets. The 4th was the Khazak game.. less said the better, but he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, 2 were Shinnie, 1 was McKenna as i recall.

As for Hamburg.. We know better than anyone that the size of a club entitles you to nothing. Still they missed out on promotion by a point on the last day. Bates had 11 clean sheets in 25 games, and Hamburg had the 2nd tightest defense in the league. Hamburgs worst run of form over 4 games was the 4 games he was out toward the end of the season. So whatever failings Hamburg have, it seems unfair to cast Bates as part of the problem.

He's got the making of a good player, surely we can agree there. 6'4", strong and quick. Those are the building blocks of a top player. At Rangers he was in and out of the side. A few games here a few games there. He did get 8 in a row at one point and Rangers won 6 and only lost 1. Probably their best run of results all season. He was a bit rabbit in the headlights sometimes, sure. but he was a 20 year old, playing his first games with 50,000 people watching. Not everyone dives into that environment and swims right away. Seems like he's settled into it more by playing with crowds that size week in week out for Hamburg, and is performing better as a result.

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Do Aberdeen ever really play much Championship standard opposition in Europe?

Apart from Burnley, the teams Aberdeen have played in Europe in the last 4 years (* = lost) are Shkendja, Rijeka, Kairat*, Fola Esch, Ventspils, NK Maribor*, Siroki Brijeg, Apollon Limassol* RoPS, Chikhura Sachkhere, Rijeka.

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

I'm curious what you think he did wrong in any of his caps. We won 3 of the 4, 2 of those with clean sheets. The 4th was the Khazak game.. less said the better, but he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, 2 were Shinnie, 1 was McKenna as i recall.

As for Hamburg.. We know better than anyone that the size of a club entitles you to nothing. Still they missed out on promotion by a point on the last day. Bates had 11 clean sheets in 25 games, and Hamburg had the 2nd tightest defense in the league. Hamburgs worst run of form over 4 games was the 4 games he was out toward the end of the season. So whatever failings Hamburg have, it seems unfair to cast Bates as part of the problem.

He's got the making of a good player, surely we can agree there. 6'4", strong and quick. Those are the building blocks of a top player. At Rangers he was in and out of the side. A few games here a few games there. He did get 8 in a row at one point and Rangers won 6 and only lost 1. Probably their best run of results all season. He was a bit rabbit in the headlights sometimes, sure. but he was a 20 year old, playing his first games with 50,000 people watching. Not everyone dives into that environment and swims right away. Seems like he's settled into it more by playing with crowds that size week in week out for Hamburg, and is performing better as a result.

I’d agree he potentially has the makings of a good player, he is a young laddie and learning his trade, I get that, he’s just not the level of a McKenna or a Hector. That’s a fact.

I especially don’t want to be too critical now that he has signed, and I honestly wish him all the best and I hope he will have a good spell at Hillsborough. I just don’t think he’s a signing that will massively improve the first XI. 

On his Scotland games:

Debut was steady against Albania in a big win. It was a great team performance. He didn’t have a lot to do but did what he needed to do well. Fair play that was a good game.

Israel at home is the game that sticks out in my mind the most. Every Scotland fan had their hearts in their mouths when he was defending or on the ball. He got better later as the game went on but he was nervy and you could tell he was overawed by the occasion. Not a good game.

Kazakhstan away. Do I need to say anything? Every single one of them were an absolute disgrace and Bates, Palmer, Shinnie and McKenna in particular were dreadful. Not a good game.

San Marino away. We should have comfortably won that and we didn’t. The whole team was poor and he was shaky and unconvincing against arguably the worst team in international football. Yes we won, yes we kept a clean sheet, and yes you could put that criticism towards McKenna too but unconvincing. Not a good game.

So 3 out of 4 caps I’d say he wasn’t impressive and all 4 of the teams he played against are pretty average. I feel like I’m crucifying the guy but I’m only being honest. I’m sure he will mature and get better with age and like you say he has the physical attributes. I’ve honestly never been that impressed when I’ve seen him.