Van Bronckhorst

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

If we brought Gio in, would he bring with him his own assistant coach (coaching staff), I think his assistant whilst at Feyenoord, Jean-Paul van Gastel is still there? It got me thinking of this the other day, when the betting was all over the place with some underwhelming names.

What if we brought in a high profile young or experienced foreign manager but are looking to team them up with an assistant/coaches or DOF that are already over here and knowledgeable of our leagues? The same thing might be considered, if we're looking at going for a recently retired player turned coach or an up and coming lower league manager?

Do you think, that's something being considered, that may possibly be knowingly or unknowingly be reflected in the betting?

I did wonder yesterday if Zola might have been approached but as an assistant, and bookies have got the wrong end of the stick. As he’s recently been assisting Sari etc.

The problem with such a move, is the squad has been shaped in a distinctly British style. That wasn’t just Bruce, the recruitment has been going that way since year two of Carlos There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but what would a coach like GVB make of it? Somehow, I can’t see him relishing working with this group of players. Would have loved to see us take a different route, but we are so far into the project, that without a significant turnover of players, we are better appointing a seasoned British manager. Hate to come across all xenophobic, but for pragmatic reasons, I feel we should stick with the plan

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The problem with such a move, is the squad has been shaped in a distinctly British style. That wasn’t just Bruce, the recruitment has been going that way since year two of Carlos There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but what would a coach like GVB make of it? Somehow, I can’t see him relishing working with this group of players. Would have loved to see us take a different route, but we are so far into the project, that without a significant turnover of players, we are better appointing a seasoned British manager. Hate to come across all xenophobic, but for pragmatic reasons, I feel we should stick with the plan

Not necessarily, we actually have players suited to 4 3 3.

West

Spambanjo   Lees    Boner    Palmer / Fox

Hutch

Lee          Bannan

Reach             Fletcher         FF/ Harris

and have been playing similar tactics this pre season

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Tictocs
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He favours 433 style, which I feel is our best use of the group we have. Solves several key issues: 

- Best creative player in BB, looks light weight in midfield 2

- Most talented player FF, not really a striker, not really a winger 

- Reach, Harris, FF & Joao all suited to wide forward roles

- Remaining strikers suited to down the middle with a few that could arguably play both

- Lee, Hutch & BB (WHEN FIT) look tremendous in same team and it’s hard to fit them in to a 442

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

West

Hutch

Lee          Bannan

You wouldn’t have Iorfa in the team? 

11 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

West

Hutch

Lee          Bannan

WTF: 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I see your point but we’re not that far down the line that we can’t change now. We’re hardly the crazy gang of the 80/90’s. We only really have one winger, despite being a direct British style team.

We actually have some cultured footballers in Bannan, Reach, Lee and Forestieri etc. I think a good manager would assess the squad and use the system that gets the best out of them 

8 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I see your point but we’re not that far down the line that we can’t change now. We’re hardly the crazy gang of the 80/90’s. We only really have one winger, despite being a direct British style team.

We actually have some cultured footballers in Bannan, Reach, Lee and Forestieri etc. I think a good manager would assess the squad and use the system that gets the best out of them 

No, we’re not Wimbledon Crazy Gang, and we do have some talented footballers, but we do play in a very British way. The players seem more comfortable when asked to do the things they’ve been used to. The majority of our fans want that as well, they want wingers, left and right, to bomb down the wing, and fire in crosses for Fletcher and Rhodes. Maybe I’m underestimating our players ability to adapt to a more sophisticated style. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get someone like GVB here, and let him build a squad in his own image. I’m not sure though, whether we’d have that sort of patience, or perhaps more importantly, whether GVB would fancy undertaking such a renovation, with limited resources.

19 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

sounds legit, especially if he takes him bowling, gotta jump on it before his odds get even shorter plus his favourite player's Regi Blinker :ph34r:

Unfortunately, according to the latest rumours, DC wasn't available for a shmoke and a pancake, he was already out with Joao at Pizza Express. I have heard that Joao has decided that the player manager position would give him the best opportunity to get more game time with us and has thrown his hat into the ring along with Van B, Carbone, Supertram Pet Rescue, Big Sam and Gary Megson, according to my sauces (Fruity, Tom & HP).

• Haha 1

Much as I like thought of GVB on reflection I think it would be wrong choice heart ruling head. He plays a different style to get players drilled to that you need a few weeks we do not have that. \We have some soft games to start season and we need as many poins as possible team have gelled into current style and it has to be continued. I am not arguing for Bullen to continue but for someone who could continue on with high pressing style of play we have adopted. Bullen latest interview shows why he can not be manager.

To get somebody in who plays current style rules out Megson Holloway Karanka and Pulis too.

If published short list to be believed Stendel Monk and Rowett could play style which would suit players. I prefer Stendel then possibly Rowett although would like us to speak to Cowley who has potential to be exceptional.

On 17/07/2019 at 15:55, NYowl said:

GVB not for me.

Very few international class players have succeeded when taking manageriial positions below the top league.

Its almost appears that to succceed at Champoinship level you have had to have played at this level or lower in your respective country.

Yeah like Farke, Bielsa, Karanka, Wagner, Jokanovic, Carvahal, Santo... 

17 minutes ago, superowls23 said:

Yeah like Farke, Bielsa, Karanka, Wagner, Jokanovic, Carvahal, Santo... 

Yeah and you need to do some research.

Only Jokanivic could be classed as an international class player out of your list. Carvahal, Bielsa Farke and Santo have no full caps. Wagner has a handful for the USA and Karanka has a single cap for Spain.

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I can’t believe people would turn their noses up at GVB. the best candidate mentioned by an absolute mile. 

He is good but plays different style do you really think we would have funds to get in players to suit his style? We have a couple of weeks before season team playing high pressing style we have got players in who suit way we are playing. We have easy start to season with fixtures last thing we need is trying to change style two weeks before season begins.

I can understand why you would like him but do you think he would go along with how we are playing? DC apparently wants someone who understands domestic scene so no real chance of him being appointed. We have been left in lurch and to get best out of situation you have to appoint coach who has used our current style of play. Current style has been very successful high work rate has been the way forward in last few years and not allowing other teams to settle. Those who have played different to this have not done well. It is not turning nose up in my case it is being practical and realising we are in difficult situation and if you do not want to write season off you have to exploit what we have got. Bullen understands what we are doing but if issues arise does not have wherewithal to resolve situation. 

6 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Yeah and you need to do some research.

Only Jokanivic could be classed as an international class player out of your list. Carvahal, Bielsa Farke and Santo have no full caps. Wagner has a handful for the USA and Karanka has a single cap for Spain.

Was aimed at ur second comment on the post not the first