Lazarus like transformation

Bruce has already taken the opportunity this summer to shift out a lot of deadwood in the squad: Boyd, Abdi, Matias etc.

But there are still a few members of the squad on big contracts for a while yet who we'll find it very difficult to shift on, which means its going to be down to Bruce to work with them and see if they can transform their form, Lazarus like, and become top players.  There's plenty of occasions in football history where a new manager and new methods have turned a player's form around so I'm hoping Bruce can do the same with two in particular:

Joost Van Aaken: Was thrown in at the deep end when he first arrived and then got injured (like everyone else) but could some proper coaching from a guy who was a world class centre back in his day make all the difference?

Jordan Rhodes: Its been said many times, but would a more direct style, confidence-giving man management and regular partnership with someone who'll do the work (eg Fletcher) finally get him firing?

Any more? I'm assuming Fox is all but irredeemable. 

Might not happen and if we get acceptable offers for either I'd still be minded to sell, but if we can't before the deadline shuts in just over a month's time this will be when our coaching team earns their money. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I know most people on here don't agree but I do think there's a good player in Van Aaken. Really needs some coaching in line with Championship football though. Bruce and co are more than capable of providing that though

I agree, showed fleeting promise. I'm not sure he's up the the physical aspects, despite his size. Behind Thornily in the pecking order.

Given his passing and mobility, wondered if he'd be suited to a CDM role? 

Sure Bruce has had a look at him and made his assessment.

1 minute ago, striker said:

I agree, showed fleeting promise. I'm not sure he's up the the physical aspects, despite his size. Behind Thornily in the pecking order.

Given his passing and mobility, wondered if he'd be suited to a CDM role? 

Sure Bruce has had a look at him and made his assessment.

If he’s not up to the physical aspects (like you say) then what makes you think he’d be ideal at CDM?

25 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Bruce has already taken the opportunity this summer to shift out a lot of deadwood in the squad: Boyd, Abdi, Matias etc.

But there are still a few members of the squad on big contracts for a while yet who we'll find it very difficult to shift on, which means its going to be down to Bruce to work with them and see if they can transform their form, Lazarus like, and become top players.  There's plenty of occasions in football history where a new manager and new methods have turned a player's form around so I'm hoping Bruce can do the same with two in particular:

Joost Van Aaken: Was thrown in at the deep end when he first arrived and then got injured (like everyone else) but could some proper coaching from a guy who was a world class centre back in his day make all the difference?

Jordan Rhodes: Its been said many times, but would a more direct style, confidence-giving man management and regular partnership with someone who'll do the work (eg Fletcher) finally get him firing?

Might not happen and if we get acceptable offers for either I'd still be minded to sell, but if we can't before the deadline shuts in just over a month's time this will be when our coaching team earns their money. 

Not sure about JVA ,

Needs to toughen up to be Championship standard. Young enough, probably worth persevering with to see if new fitness regime and coaching can get him worth a place in matchday squads.

Rhodes seems to have lost his way as Championship defending has improved. Needs to be scoring 20/25 goals per season to make up for lack of contribution to overall play. Don’t see many bidders though.

I'd love it if Jordan Rhodes could get a chance and take it, back to his lethal, prolific best.

I can't help but like the lad and I still think there is a player in there somewhere, instead of getting him off the wage bill it would be great if SB and his staff could help him earn it instead.

JVA just has'nt taken to the English game. The jury is out.

MF in all honesty should never play for us again, just not good enough.

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Bruce didn't have a choice in the matter, Abdi and Co were out of the door if Bruce was here or not.

Not quite my point.  I think the club will (and should) look to sell the likes of JVA. Rhodes and Winnall if they can.  But, if the window slams shut at the start of August and they're still here then the coaching staff will have to do whatever they can to get the best out of them as they're part of the squad and being paid.  So in this scenario who has the best chance of coming good? 

1 minute ago, beloved_aunt said:

Not quite my point.  I think the club will (and should) look to sell the likes of JVA. Rhodes and Winnall if they can.  But, if the window slams shut at the start of August and they're still here then the coaching staff will have to do whatever they can to get the best out of them as they're part of the squad and being paid.  So in this scenario who has the best chance of coming good? 

Not fans of Rhodes and Winnall but both have shown they can produce the goods but still not done it at Hillsborough.  So if they can get back to their best then game on.

JVA showed early promise and needs to put that game behind him, not giving up on him yet.

I still think JvA has promise, if he'd had the game he had against United against anyone else, he'd have been forgiven the next day but because it was against United, and because of the manner of the defeat, it's still used as a stick to beat him, forgetting that he'd been the best player on the park the week before at Cardiff 

JVA has a big problem.

If he comes up against a Big, strong attacker...he just gets bullied.

He doesn't have the strength and will lose the battle.

Teams will target him like this and there is nothing we can do.

If he was a CDM then he wouldn't get targeted the same way and he could use his obvious passing ability more and more.

Not sure if he has the energy and combative qualities to do that role though but would be interesting to see.

Hopefully Bruce will sort him out one way or another though. 

I've every confidence in Bruce to get these 2 players right up there performance wise and playing well for us, JVA as a dominant ball playing centre half and Rhodes banging in the goals .. Bruce seems the type of gaffer that can do that ..

AND if he isn't confident than he will offload em .. no doubt about it

30 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I've every confidence in Bruce to get these 2 players right up there performance wise and playing well for us, JVA as a dominant ball playing centre half and Rhodes banging in the goals .. Bruce seems the type of gaffer that can do that ..

AND if he isn't confident than he will offload em .. no doubt about it

Offloading isn't that simple though is it? You actually need a club to want to buy them, then the player to actually want to move there. Will JR get the same wage he's getting now somewhere else?

I highly doubt it.

Up there as one of the worst signings this clubs ever made.

3 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

If he’s not up to the physical aspects (like you say) then what makes you think he’d be ideal at CDM?

Another line of defence behind him makes mistakes potentially less costly. 

His main attributes seem to be passing rather than defending, perhaps most suited to a midfielder than defender. He's far from ideal in any position though. Could he be better in CDM than Joey? Yes, potentially.....are either good enough? No, probably not

8 hours ago, Mycroft said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Bruce didn't have a choice in the matter, Abdi and Co were out of the door if Bruce was here or not.

I also found it amusing that Bruce is given credit for shifting them out. The man is a footballing genius!

lol

10 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Might not happen and if we get acceptable offers for either I'd still be minded to sell, but if we can't before the deadline shuts in just over a month's time this will be when our coaching team earns their 

Van Aken is 24, doesn't read the game but more importantly has the turning circle of the Duke of Edinburgh. JVA  doesn't need coaching he needs bionic hip replacement.

Rhodes is a 1 dimensional sub come nice guy mascot.