Really feel for Liam Palmer..

2 hours ago, tarn owl said:

No Bannan is a puzzler, Fletch too looking at who they have picked instead. But it's just good news for us as they need a rest. I think Palmer with fewer caps might be more enthusiastic to play in international football, even if they do get battered like a mars bar.

Could do with Fletch and Bannon playing for the jock could use the time as match practice to get them sharp for us.

I can't understand why they are so bad.

Some good midfielders to choose from when Bannan can't even get in the squad.

McGinn Frazer, Cairney, Mctominay then Robertson in defense.

Obvs the problem they have is they all disappear during the domestic season when their parent clubs need em.

Anyway, well done Liam, well deserved.

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cookeh said:

He's only there due to an injury to Callum Paterson.

If Paterson was fit then Palmer wouldn't be in the squad.
Hope Palmer takes the opportunity if manages to get on the pitch at all tho.

Correct. O’Donnell will probably start right back and Palmer I think will be on the bench. Palmer is effectively 3rd choice but I’m pleased for him getting another call up. He deserves it.

3 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

Not a single Ger. Is that very unusual?

Normally you have Old Firm apologists in the manager’s seat picking mediocre or non starter players from both clubs so yes it is quite unusual. The truth is other than maybe Ryan Jack there aren’t any Rangers players that should be anywhere near this Scotland squad. Clarke deserves credit for picking players playing, in form, and those that want to play. 

13 hours ago, timrud said:

Amazing he gets in but no Bannan and Fletch?

Fletcher is wee bit of a surprise due to our lack of strikers but Bannan isn’t. We have a number of options in midfield over Bannan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cookeh said:

Suggestion is that Fletch has asked not to be picked.
I'd have taken Rhodes tho, given the poor scoring record of both Brophy and McNulty.

Bannan just isn't as good as the other midfield options. Neither is Fleck tbh.
McTominay, Armstrong, McGregor and McGinn are good picks.
And Bannan has never really performed for Scotland for some reason. Suddenly his passes go astray and he's tonking it out of play for no reason. It's genuinely bizarre having watched him play for both Wednesay and Scotland. Almost like a different player.

Where did you hear that from? If Fletcher has asked not to play and doesn’t have a genuine reason he probably won’t be used for the squad again. Clarke has pretty much said that is how it will be. 

And I will be surprised if Rhodes (or Bannan for that matter) get picked for Scotland again. Both McNulty and Brophy have scored goals in the SPFL this season so are arguably there on merit. I’m not sure McNulty is the answer long term but he deserves a call up and he should be good enough to score against Cyprus. The game in Brussels is a free hit, nobody will have any expectations of getting a result over there 

19 hours ago, steveger said:

Many condolences Liam, picked for the Scotland squad again, real shame as you was fantastic for The Wednesday last season....

Bin the Jocks off mate, they are habitual losers, cant be too good for the confidence....

declare for a bigger stronger team like Gibraltar or something mate..

D7pfxn2XYAAzFmQ.jpg:large

who are these people ? :tongue:

The Porcines website will be in meltdown, Palmer in but not one from the Greatest team in their history?.

6 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Where did you hear that from? If Fletcher has asked not to play and doesn’t have a genuine reason he probably won’t be used for the squad again. Clarke has pretty much said that is how it will be.  

And I will be surprised if Rhodes (or Bannan for that matter) get picked for Scotland again. Both McNulty and Brophy have scored goals in the SPFL this season so are arguably there on merit. I’m not sure McNulty is the answer long term but he deserves a call up and he should be good enough to score against Cyprus. The game in Brussels is a free hit, nobody will have any expectations of getting a result over there 

Burke's form has been widely criticised by Celtic fans in recent months, 4 goals in his 14 games, none in his last 7.
McNulty scored 1 goal since mid-march (8 games) and looked poor against the mighty San Marino.
Brophy's scored 3 goal since xmas.

I really don't see how any have a really strong claim ahead of Rhodes, even if Rhodes has mostly been used from the bench this season.
Burke offers something a bit different with his pace and strength, but the other two.. I don't see goals coming from the forwards.

Fletch thing is just a rumour at this stage, I think the official line is he's being rested. Seems an odd fixture to rest him in tho. Cyprus is a must win game, so why rest your only available, competent center forward? Suggests there's more to it that just being rested. Time will tell tho.

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

Fletcher got dogs abuse for not being available in the last squad so maybe its that.

If ever a situation showed how much disdain the EFL is held in by the Footballing media that situation was it, if its not Premier League they don't have a clue whats going on at Clubs 

Fletcher from all quarters got called from a pig to a dog for not turning up for that squad totally ignoring the fact that he had been taken off injured during a must win game v Blackburn ( after scoring ) if we were to keep our slim hopes of play-offs going and wasn't corrected after he was unavailable for the next club game Stoke , also must win which we drew, with the continuing injury still banging on about him "not turning up". That fount of all knowledge Chris Sutton being particularly vociferous but he wasn't alone several times on Talksport i heard Fletcher slagged in particular referring to the Squad he'd withdrawn from .

12 hours ago, steveger said:

He should have made himself available for the Scotland women's team, way, way better than the men, not sure about the kit though...

hint: ignore the gibberish language :biggrin:

Both nice goals

25 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Burke's form has been widely criticised by Celtic fans in recent months, 4 goals in his 14 games, none in his last 7.
McNulty scored 1 goal since mid-march (8 games) and looked poor against the mighty San Marino.
Brophy's scored 3 goal since xmas.

I really don't see how any have a really strong claim ahead of Rhodes, even if Rhodes has mostly been used from the bench this season.
Burke offers something a bit different with his pace and strength, but the other two.. I don't see goals coming from the forwards.

Fletch thing is just a rumour at this stage, I think the official line is he's being rested. Seems an odd fixture to rest him in tho. Cyprus is a must win game, so why rest your only available, competent center forward? Suggests there's more to it that just being rested. Time will tell tho.

Jordan Rhodes has had opportunity previously when he was playing well and has not been successful for the national team. He has scored 14 league goals in the last 3 seasons so is correctly nowhere near the squad. He adds nothing to the team otherwise either, he doesn’t have height or pace, his link up play and hold up ability isn’t great, I honestly don’t think he’s very good and especially not when he’s not scoring. He is a shadow of the man from 4-5 years ago.

Clarke has been quite vocal about picking players that are starting regularly and in form. Rhodes doesn’t fit that category. I’m not fussed on Burke but yes he offers something different. I agree with you on him, Clarke trusts Brophy and knows him well from his time at Kilmarnock so I’ll trust the manager’s judgement. On McNulty (and I say this as a Hearts fan and he’s playing at Hibs) I think it’s daft you’re writing him off after 2 sub appearances for Scotland. Fletcher probably should be in the squad given our lack of options but like you say we don’t know the reasons why.

We will beat Cyprus comfortably, it’s the Russia game after Belgium that is the biggie.

14 hours ago, steveger said:

He should have made himself available for the Scotland women's team, way, way better than the men, not sure about the kit though...

hint: ignore the gibberish language :biggrin:

TV station for Gaelic! How many actually speak it in Scotland. Not having a go just interested. As never heard it spoken in Scotland.

28 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Jordan Rhodes has had opportunity previously when he was playing well and has not been successful for the national team. He has scored 14 league goals in the last 3 seasons so is correctly nowhere near the squad. He adds nothing to the team otherwise either, he doesn’t have height or pace, his link up play and hold up ability isn’t great, I honestly don’t think he’s very good and especially not when he’s not scoring. He is a shadow of the man from 4-5 years ago. 

Clarke has been quite vocal about picking players that are starting regularly and in form. Rhodes doesn’t fit that category. I’m not fussed on Burke but yes he offers something different. I agree with you on him, Clarke trusts Brophy and knows him well from his time at Kilmarnock so I’ll trust the manager’s judgement. On McNulty (and I say this as a Hearts fan and he’s playing at Hibs) I think it’s daft you’re writing him off after 2 sub appearances for Scotland. Fletcher probably should be in the squad given our lack of options but like you say we don’t know the reasons why. 

We will beat Cyprus comfortably, it’s the Russia game after Belgium that is the biggie.

Figured we'd beat the Khazak's comfortably too ;)

I too can understand why Brophy got picked. There's few options, and the manager knows him. Fact remains he's had 3 goals since xmas tho. He's quite short, he doesn't have Burke's pace and he's not exactly prolific. Maybe he can do the kind of job Kenny Miller did. Run about, hassle, occasionally luck a goal. It's not a prospect i look forward to tho.

McNulty tho..
Missing a couple of sitters against San Marino is just the tip of the iceberg.
He has literally 1 good season at Coventry in League Two and that's it.
Moved to Reading, struggled to get in a poor team, and scored just 1 goal in 600 odd minutes.
Got shipped out to Hibs here he scored in just 5 of his 15 games.
All the goals bar one came against the teams in the bottom 6.

Every part of this screams 'not good enough' to me.

He's not clinical. He seems to bottle it when it matters.

He has no significant scoring record at a meaningful level.
He's not tall, he's not quick, he's not strong, he's barely a goalscorer.

So, even with McBurnie, Fletch, Naismith and Griffiths out, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad.
I think Rhodes is a better option with is 168 minutes per goal in the Championship this season.
I think Ryan Hardie's a better option, he's quicker and has a much better goals return against top 6 SPrem sides.
I'm put Johnny Russell up top and call up another wide man like Michael Johnston or Jake Hastie.
So then we're digging into the 8th, 9th, 10th in line and you're probably looking at playing Paterson up top as Cardiff did, Jack Harper out at Malaga, and I'd then be looking at Shankland at Ayr (38 goals, 8 assists this season) and Brophy's down here somewhere.

So yeah, don't understand McNulty's inclusion. But I'm not going to get on the manager's back before a ball's kicked.

17 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

West Ham’s Ryan Fredericks being targeted for a Scotland call up now. Potential future competition for Liam’s place in the squad.

How does he qualify?  Did his great grandmother own a Westie.

Edited by Sham67
  • Haha 2

On 28/05/2019 at 14:23, timrud said:

Amazing he gets in but no Bannan and Fletch?

leave 'em ALL be, the less we have risking injury playing in meaningless games, the better.

concentrate on sheffield wednesday, not fighting back against gibraltar for a draw.