Really feel for Liam Palmer..

15 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

How does he qualify?  Did his great grandmother own a Westie.

" Record Sport understands that the SFA are currently checking his eligibility to see if they can get the paperwork in place for him to represent Scotland."

Imagine being so tinpot that you hate the English but have to pretend that an Englishman is Scottish to make up your numbers!

Jordan Rhodes' "eligibility" is even more ridiculous, he's not Scottish, his family aren't Scottish, but he qualifies because he lived up there for a few years whilst his Dad played for Scottish clubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, alanharper said:

" Record Sport understands that the SFA are currently checking his eligibility to see if they can get the paperwork in place for him to represent Scotland."

Imagine being so tinpot that you hate the English but have to pretend that an Englishman is Scottish to make up your numbers!

Jordan Rhodes' "eligibility" is even more ridiculous, he's not Scottish, his family aren't Scottish, but he qualifies because he lived up there for a few years whilst his Dad played for Scottish clubs.

It's a compete joke mate.

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Probably the same as Raheem Sterling in that he has a relative that allows him to play for a different nation.

Is that a different Sterling to the one who grew up in the shadow of Wembley?

9 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Is that a different Sterling to the one who grew up in the shadow of Wembley?

I think the point he was making was that Sterling was born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents and moved to England when he was 5.
John Barnes' story is much the same, tho he moved to England when he was 12.

Rhodes moved to Scotland when he was 8.
So I'm assuming it's also a 'complete joke' that at least one out of Sterling and Barnes played for England, if not both.

Personally I think they're among the most reputable players to have played for England in their respective generations.. but hey.

Edited by cookeh

8 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I think the point he was making was that Sterling was born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents and moved to England when he was 5.

So I'm assuming it's also a 'complete joke' that at least one out of Sterling and Barnes played for England, if not both.

Personally I think they're among the most reputable players to have played for England in their respective generations.. but hey.

You forget the former republic of Ireland record goal scoring Tony Cascarino who qualified through his grandfather until they check his story and found out his mother was adopted and not in any way Irish. WTF: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

Agreed on your points. There’s no difference between any of those examples.

I’m pretty sure Jordan actually moved to Scotland as a baby not long after he was born. His dad was playing there between 1990-98 so he must have spent the first 8 years of his life there.

On 28/05/2019 at 15:38, pazowl55 said:

Can almost understand Bannan not being there even though he should be as midfield is easily there strongest position. But why no Fletcher. McNulty the only out and out striker isn't he.?

I honestly reckon that they have asked not to be selected due to having hair surgery as you aren't allowed to play sports for a certain period of time ....

Any other "big above average names" missing?

4 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I honestly reckon that they have asked not to be selected due to having hair surgery as you aren't allowed to play sports for a certain period of time ....

Any other "big above average names" missing?

Craig Gordon isn't 1st choice for Celtic under Lennon. David Marshall of Hull called up instead. Not sure why, he's not very good.
Allan McGregor of Rangers has not reversed his retirement.
Callum Paterson of Cardiff is injured.
Alan Hutton's still retired from international duty.
Kieran Tierney's injured.

Barry Douglas is injured.
Liam Cooper of Leeds is apparently getting married
David Bates is left out. Bit harsh probably, Hamburg narrowly missed out on a Bundesliga return.

Grant Hanley missing as he's not played much for Norwich this season.
Liam Lindsey of Barnsley left out, looked a decent player in the Championship last year, so probably worth looking at at some point.
John Fleck of the blunts is also getting married.

Kevin McDonald of Fulham is missing, possibly getting married too!
James McArthur of Palace has still ruled himself out/retired.
David Turnbull of Motherwell was kind of expected to get a call, but didn't. He'd probably be a shrewd signing for us.

Snodgrass of West Ham is absent.
Jake Hastie's missed out after a pretty spectacular few months. Signed a pre-contract with Rangers, else I'd have wanted us to look at him.

Matt Philips of West Brom is left out despite an ok season for him.
Matt Ritchie of Newcastle is left out. 8 Premier league assists this term isn't bad, but opted for the young Greg Taylor ahead of him.
Oli McBurnie is injured, so we'll miss him. 24 goals this season for Swansea.

Leigh Griffiths (he of the two freekicks against England) has been on leave for most of the season, getting his head right.
Stevie Naismith's out injured too.

Plus our three of, Fletch, Bannan and Rhodes.

Quite a list of absentee's (a squad in itself!), but what we've got is still a strong squad imo.
Andy Robertson's just won the Champions League.

McTominay's been playing Champions League for Man Utd under two different managers this season.

Ryan Fraser (2nd highest assists in the Prem, 1 behind Hazard) looks like getting a top 6 move this summer.

James Forrest and Ryan Christie are fit and playing well.

There's competition for the remaining spot in midfield between Armstrong (Southampton), McGregor (Celtic) and McGinn (Villa).

Centerback's are all young (bar Mulgrew) but look like they have ability.
The main question marks are over who plays in goal, and who plays up front with Griffiths, Fletcher and McBurnie all out.

Right back is up for grabs, so Liam's got a decent shot of making that his own if he can impress the manager.

• Like 2