Really feel for Liam Palmer..

On 28/05/2019 at 14:23, timrud said:

Amazing he gets in but no Bannan and Fletch?

Strange, I pondered this afternoon Bannan could do a job for England in our midfield which lacked any creativity what so ever. Scotland obviously also feel creativity has no place in international football. 

15 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Strange, I pondered this afternoon Bannan could do a job for England in our midfield which lacked any creativity what so ever. Scotland obviously also feel creativity has no place in international football.  

Well, the problems is Bannan's been decidedly lacklustre in most of his 27 caps, which combined with him turning 30 later this year managers seem to be looking at other options.

McGinn and McLean both got promotion this season, and played significant parts for their clubs, particularly in an attacking sense, so hard to argue with their inclusion at Bannan's expense. Then you have the guys playing in the premier league who are hard to leave out in the hope that Bannan will suddenly produce club form for his country.

Personally I'm not sure Bannan would help the balance of the side. He's not strong enough in the defensive aspects (McLean and McGinn aren't either) to play deep at international level, and his finishing isn't consistent enough to play in a number 10 role. So it's difficult to get him into a side. We can get away with it in the Championship, but international level is a different thing. I imagine it's the same reason he's playing at this level, rather than in the Prem.