Have we sold our ground

I've no idea if this is true.  I was told last night that the freehold has been sold by DC to himself and the club have leased the stadium for a nominal sum.  Would this explain why the club are still shown as the owners on the property register?  I'm clueless on these matters.

Seems a pretty shrewd move, if true.

Edited by Sham67

Nothing is registered at Land Registry - still owned by Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Limited. (as at 17 May 2019)

Registration of transfer should be made within 30 days of date if transfer,

If you look at the title for Pride Park it was sold to Gellaw Newco 202 Limited for £81,100,000 on the 28th June 2018 and registered on 30th July 2018.

A lease for 20 years to Derby County was granted at the same time.

So it is unlikely our ground was transferred before  31 July  2018 (accounts period end), 

It would also be quite costly with  stamp duty of 5% of the sale price payable, (so £50m would be £2.5m stamp duty) plus another say £400k stamp duty on the grant of a 20 year lease at £1.5m rent per annum.

I also don't understand how this helps P&S any impact from the sale/purchase or deprecation of fixed assets (except players) is excluded from the calculated P&S losses,

Amazing that speculation in The times has lead to 36 pages here,

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

No it doesn't

But whenever you get a new owner this is always a risk.

If you know how private equity deals work, assets get shifted about.

For me he has just placed the club with an unnecessary risk born out of not managing the finances correctly.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, billyblack said:

For me he has just placed the club with an unnecessary risk born out of not managing the finances correctly.

Surely the risk happened when we sold the club, ground and all assets to Milan in 2010 though? SWFC hasn't owned the ground since he bought it

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

Surely the risk happened when we sold the club, ground and all assets to Milan in 2010 though? SWFC hasn't owned the ground since he bought it

Not strictly true though. At the moment SWFC Limited owns the freehold on the ground and facilities. Chansiri owns 100% of the shares in the company. Semantics maybe but if the club and DC were to part right now, the ground and facilities would still belong to SWFC Limited and not DC. If DC buys the ground, that will no longer be the case.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Not strictly true though. At the moment SWFC Limited owns the freehold on the ground and facilities. Chansiri owns 100% of the shares in the company. Semantics maybe but if the club and DC were to part right now, the ground and facilities would still belong to SWFC Limited and not DC. If DC buys the ground, that will no longer be the case.

Ah, that's an interesting point, I didn't realise that was the case. I suppose that is what makes the ground sale possible when you think about it.

I still don't see it as much of a risk, just bringing us in line with the arrangements that the majority of top-flight clubs already have in return for a hefty cash injection that is P&S compliant.

Why are people still harping on about the last 3 years. That’s gone. The money spent, the near misses in the first two seasons are water under the bridge.

Like any big project the decision point is now and last 3 seasons are sunk costs.

So the decision is probably do we take punitive sanctions under FFP which could lead to relegation next season or do we “sell “ the ground. Take your pick.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Why are people still harping on about the last 3 years. That’s gone. The money spent, the near misses in the first two seasons are water under the bridge.

Like any big project the decision point is now and last 3 seasons are sunk costs.

So the decision is probably do we take punitive sanctions under FFP which could lead to relegation next season or do we “sell “ the ground. Take your pick.

Business decisions are all about mitigating risk. The issue here is not so much as to whether or not the ground should be sold (under the current situation, it is probably the only viable option available). The issue is whether or not a plan is in place to mitigate the risk that arises from the sale. And, for anyone that has any business acumen whatsoever, the potential risks should be obvious.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Business decisions are all about mitigating risk. The issue here is not so much as to whether or not the ground should be sold (under the current situation, it is probably the only viable option available). The issue is whether or not a plan is in place to mitigate the risk that arises from the sale. And, for anyone that has any business acumen whatsoever, the potential risks should be obvious.

But that’s not issue most of this thread is taken up with.

It’s mainly people moaning about how we have got to this position which has no bearing at all on the decision that has to be made.

We are where we are.  Are people who are moaning about selling the ground happy to take FFP sanctions instead?

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

It’s mainly people moaning about how we have got to this position which has no bearing at all on the decision that has to be made.

We are where we are.  Are people who are moaning about selling the ground happy to take FFP sanctions instead?

OK, I can only speak from my own take on the matter. I accept that there is an inevitability about the sale taking place. I have reservations about it but I can also understand why it has to be done. From here on in, I am only interested in the safeguards that are put in place to secure the club (and the use of the ground) going forward.

Isn't it much more fun debating how DC spends money and arguing over the effectiveness of the near £50m spent already. 

Oh, for the days of milans £350k bids, our marquee signings being the likes of Jay Bothroyd and of course who can forget that lovely day out at the high court when on the verge of administration. 

:Chansiri:lol

23 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

59 minutes ago, Minton said:

DC is the sole owner of  SWFC, that includes the ground, he employs all of the staff, including the contracted players. There are no shareholders. In effect DC is setting up another company that he will be the sole owner of, he will sell the ground to that company, nothing changes in terms of who really owns the ground. If DC wanted to sell SWFC including the ground he can

Edited by MallorcaOwl

5 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

DC is the sole owner of  SWFC, that includes the ground, he employs all of the staff, including the contracted players. There are no shareholders. In effect DC is setting up another company that he will be the sole owner of, he will sell the ground to that company, nothing changes in terms of who really owns the ground. If DC wanted to sell SWFC including the ground he can

That was pretty much my point lol