50 years ago this week ! Tommy Craig arrived.

This week 50 years ago Wednesday were making headlines splashing £100,000 on the mercurial talent that was 18 year old Thomas Brooks Craig. His ambition was to meet Denis Law - I assume that was fulfilled in 1969-70 season - he was also able to stalk @Pele for his shirt in 1972!

Anyone remember the excitement this generated??

Maybe it the suit he looks about 30 ! ;-)

846886530_tcraig_zps04125341copy2.thumb.jpg.f4da0089e51ee0bb392038635caf14f9.jpg

1307867665_Craig1969.jpeg.53c2bf7b6efb5f624f88c54f4abc8a21.jpeg

8-5-1969.jpeg.d9d4a016e1bab2c19a4c10ee4b3b5f37.jpeg

Bp7HNb8CEAAtFbL.jpg.3f14cee0cf0ce7c1b8c1e03a1db21049.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Shoooot! Now feeling really old. We painted his name, with brush and can, on Weir Head dhan't 'Cliffe ( Carbrook, posh part ). Real excitement, Blunts were never in our League for buying players. Not sure he really fulfilled all his promise but was one of my favourites. Good photo at top. Just wished we had Eric Taylor back, that guy used to know how to make deals, a real Owls through and through chairman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Shoooot! Now feeling really old. We painted his name, with brush and can, on Weir Head dhan't 'Cliffe ( Carbrook, posh part ). Real excitement, Blunts were never in our League for buying players. Not sure he really fulfilled all his promise but was one of my favourites. Good photo at top. Just wished we had Eric Taylor back, that guy used to know how to make deals, a real Owls through and through chairman.

Love all those pennants behind them - see a Lyon one - must be from those Fairs Cup and Floodlit friendlies in those far off days 1950s/60s- wondered what happened to them?

When we signed him, the Daily Mirror sports headlines described the wonder kid as Ball, Layne and Kay rolled into one. It was an expensive gamble for a hundred grand. Martin Chivers was the record British signing at 125 grand around that time.

I remember the excitement, waiting for a glimpse of our record signing as the teams emerged from the tunnel. It was a night match v Spurs.

Tommy had a rasping shot that stung Pat Jennings hands as he pushed it over the bar at the Leppings Lane end.

We played Aberdeen at Hillsborough in a pre season friendly, his former club.

Gutted when he went to Newcastle for £120k 

• Like 1

McCalliog & Craig just played the one game together against Tottenham in that final game of the season. Crying shame that they didn’t form a partnership. Hate to remind everyone but Craig was the shining light in a desperate period for us. It all went wrong after his arrival. Amazed he stayed with us as long as he did. Excellent player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A class player whos brain was 2 passes in front of most of the rest of the team unfortunately.

Once saw him do a header that I have never seen bettered, it came down from the skies near the half way line towards the North and he just let it glide off his head right into the path of our winger.

I remember that nearly 50 years on and I was barely a teenager then.

Quality player at the club when we were going in the wrong direction.

TOMMO

TOMMO

TOMMO

• Like 1

Interesting to see both Celtic & Leeds were after him as a 15 year old but he plumped for Aberdeen - missed an opportunity there to play for one or the other European Champions ;-)

1966.jpeg.843d0886ab17f8f719562258fd237940.jpeg

Peter Lorimer

1966b.jpeg.8b6d334623af2d33697f1aa1c2292d74.jpeg

• Thanks 1

First Wednesday hero for me - god I feel old - pity he played in such desperate times, the seventies apart from the last week of the decade were not an enjoyable time to be an Owl - cue Hovis music ‘youngsters today don’t know how lucky they are’

• Like 1