50 years ago this week ! Tommy Craig arrived.

Too much expected of him at too young an age. We all thought he would be our saviour, but he couldn't do it all on his own, needed quality support which the club didn't provide.

22 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The best and worst signings of the period both came from one man, Uniteds John Harris. He signed Tony Currie then a few years later he had the pick of Alex Sabella or Diago Maradona ...Poor old John chose Sabella lol  

Errr........sorry Nev but you've got that one wrong.

When Sabella signed for United, Harris had already been appointed Chief Scout at Wednesday by Jack Charlton!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Think it was Happy Harry Haslam. Maradonna's club wanted £600,000 for him, the cheapskates wouldn't pay. Shame we weren't offered him, would have made a healthy addition to the squad.

Yes that's right & Danny Begara.  Iwas trying to remember if Sabella played in the BDM - he was on the pitch apparently :-)

Quote Tony Kenworhy :

"One time he wasn’t ready was at Hillsborough on December 26th, 1979. “They call it the Boxing Day massacre – I don’t know what we call it,” says Kenworthy of the famous Owls v Blades 4-0 drubbing.“It kicked off in a bit in the tunnel before the game with pushing and shoving.  “Alex had eyes as wide as saucers. We took the field with ten that day – we were a man down.

Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The best and worst signings of the period both came from one man, Uniteds John Harris. He signed Tony Currie then a few years later he had the pick of Alex Sabella or Diago Maradona ...Poor old John chose Sabella lol  

Yep. It was definitely Haslam  who signed Sabella.

John Harris was an astute manager who never got the credit he deserved.

He built arguably their best team of recent times with Currie, Woodward, Reece, Badger, Hemsley, Salmon etc.

In those days I used to go to Hillsborough one week and the Lane the other. Initially it was to get the score to our match from their scoreboard, but we were in that really bad period and they were on the up.

They played fast, attractive football and it was in stark comparison to the stuff we were dishing up.

It only started going downhill for them when Harris left.

He did, of course, end up at Hillsborough for a short while.

He was a proper gent.

On 10/05/2019 at 10:22, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Viva Tommy ,Viva Tommy Craig .

To the tune of Viva Bobby Joe by the Equals. I’d just become a Dad for the first time when we signed Tommy.

This thread makes me feel young again. Great player and happy days. :rolleyes:

• Like 1