The missing thousands at Hillsborough

Well...things got more "interesting" (for lack of a better term) with our trampy neighbours now being able to offer Premier League football. . . 

Unfortunately, we are likely to persist with the same policy which by and large alienates POTDers 

As others have pointed out, the biggest factor will be our success on the pitch. 

IF Bruce can get us challenging in the top 6, then we will get decent attendances. Generally speaking, we are always in the lowish 20s, with occasional fluctuations. 

Edited by SiJ

I understand the question and why you ask but I don't think our attendances have been that bad all things considered.

I know prices are steep for pay on the gate but I can't fault DC for trying to get more people to take season tickets.

The best way to get more people in is to put good results together and good football which is what happened on the first two seasons with CC.

Guest Grez Bez

We have a core of 24kish and a lot more who are passive (hence Wembley etc...)

Serious question

How many do you think we'd get if it was £10 a game? How many for £20 a game?

2 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

We have a core of 24kish and a lot more who are passive (hence Wembley etc...)

Serious question

How many do you think we'd get if it was £10 a game? How many for £20 a game?

It all depends on opposition.

Matches against millwall, Brentford etc.. will never break 25k. Could give tickets away and attendance still be low.

Games against Villa, Barnsley next season will be close to 30k. Or over if playing very well.

Majority of fans who pick and choose matches don't choose games based on match price imo. They pick based on opposition.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So even though we were back at this level after 2 years away, because we weren't successful more numbers didn't turn up regardless of the cheaper price, sort of proves my point.

We averaged 27,000 in 2016-17, our highest attendances since 1998. These were the prices - pretty much as they are now.

https://sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-swfc-16-17-season-matchday-ticket-prices/

A successful team is the main factor.

You arnt going to increase attendances through the odd " 20 quid game" done every few months. its needs to be a affordable price for EVERY game to attract back those priced out of going.  

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So even though we were back at this level after 2 years away, because we weren't successful more numbers didn't turn up regardless of the cheaper price, sort of proves my point.

We averaged 27,000 in 2016-17, our highest attendances since 1998. These were the prices - pretty much as they are now.

https://sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-swfc-16-17-season-matchday-ticket-prices/

A successful team is the main factor.

I don’t have the stats to hand but would be interesting to see it split out between season tickets, POTG and away fans. I think the success on the pitch drives the number of season tickets more whereas cost drives pay on the gate more. After Wembley we sold lots of season tickets... although we averaged 27k the year after and we were winning more often than not being 4th, I’d imagine a big element of the 27k were season tickets with POTG still put off by the prices. Makes me think that if you take that year as an example, 30k would have been achievable with lower prices. I can’t see why a top 6 Wednesday couldn’t achieve that when some other teams in the division do... it’s the ticket prices that kill the casual fans off.

If perception is that ticket prices are too high, people stop looking when the pricing details are released. So a PR exercise would be needed to raise awareness 

I’m going to QPR match because it’s the last game of the season but I’d only normally go if it’s a £20 game

I can afford to go but I don’t like being ripped off so choose not to

We’ll be charging more than the blades next season and they’ll be playing Premier league football

Its all wrong I tell thi 

Just now, legendaryswan said:

Weve alienated the majority of POTG fans,they wont be sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for prices to fall,they all find other pastimes,they wont be back anytime soon.

Unfortunately, this is very true. 

Once people get out of that habit, it can be very hard to get them back. 

If reports of 23k season ticket holders are true, then that's fantastic news...but we have missed a massive trick with our POTD policy (or lack thereof). 

3 minutes ago, horny owl said:

I’m going to QPR match because it’s the last game of the season but I’d only normally go if it’s a £20 game

I can afford to go but I don’t like being ripped off so choose not to

We’ll be charging more than the blades next season and they’ll be playing Premier league football

Its all wrong I tell thi 

We charged more than some Prem sides this season. Its an insult to loyal supporters 

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Weve alienated the majority of POTG fans,they wont be sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for prices to fall,they all find other pastimes,they wont be back anytime soon.

Sadly that's perfectly true and when ever i have some time off work i tend to go watch non league football..:tango:

Just now, S36 OWL said:

We charged more than some Prem sides this season. Its an insult to loyal supporters 

It's a rather cynical exploitation of the loyalty of our supporters. 

I understand why the club wants as many season ticket holders as possible (all clubs do), but the way in which over the last three/four years we've tried to railroad people into buying one has been a bit embarrassing. 

Not everyone wants to attend every home game. Having had seasons tickets in the past, it's not all that much fun sitting there on a cold Tuesday night freezing your knackers off whilst having to play Millwall. 

It's the Chansiri way and I very much doubt that (despite what has happened at S2) he will be changing his approach. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Fast exciting attacking football
More players like Forestieri who the fans can love as personalities 

Top 6 football from as early as poss . (e.g. a great start instead of stumbling into the season)
A manager the fans can believe in (Steve Bruce)

Agree with everyone of these points:-

Fast attacking football

Gets fans talking, sharing highlights clips on social media and fans return as they're willing to pay extra if good football is on offer.

Players personalities/interaction with fans 

A massive factor I've taken my son who has recently turned 4 to his first games this season (Ipswich, Luton and Bristol City). Took him to the players entrance before games so he can identify with the players rather than them just being random blokes in the same shirt as his. The players who make an effort with the kids make a massive difference. He now daily wants to wear his kit and pretend to be Barry, Marco, Adam and Fernando. On this note the club has done some excellent pieces of work over the last couple of years which they deserve credit for but still more to do with engaging families. The WAWAW fun day over the last 2 days is a very good idea though the club are missing a trick I feel as many people only became aware of it after the event this year. For me these have been the events have been a major factor in him already at an early age defining himself as a Wedneday fan when other kids/ adults he knows indicate their preference towards United. 

With Fernando at the recent funday.........

FB_IMG_1555370864435.thumb.jpg.03626cca91384003289bb0e5f2d5d726.jpg

Still more to do though and although some people may not like conceding our cross city neighbours are doing a better job for families there is certainly more we can do. No harm in learning from a good initiative they've been awarded 'Most improved family experience'. We should be aiming for this and there is some learning to take from this I saw a friend share on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2385862168112694&id=144083028957297&sfnsn=mo

The debut scheme for first time fans getting free tickets is something we should look into.

Also their family matchday space looks much better than ours. Of the games I took my son to I used the family stand for the first one against Ipswich back in September. For myself who is used to the Kop the main differences were the food/drink available and the quality of the toilet facilities. Though there was nothing specific for kids other than fifa in one of the rooms. No visit from the mascots and no access to the bottom of the South to sea them. Lots more to be done to ensure young fans have a great experience and bug their parents to take them back.

There is no getting away from the price being an issue too. If we looking to attract many of the floating fans back prices need to be reduced. This is the first year in about 15 I've not had a season ticket mostly to spend more time with family and also partly a financial decision.  Myself, my wife and son for the Bristol City game came in at £91. Yes we could've gone on the Kop but I didn't want him coming away with a new range of vocabulary. At such prices we won't entice people other than myself who has been going for years. Evidence being my dad heard myself, wife and son were going to the match and he fancied coming. My dad's a non member though went to the Arsenal game and Wembley, the exact example we want to get to the ground more regularly. Though he certainly wasn't coming to the game at £43 a ticket. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

£30 is plenty for any seat in the brown but for most of the season floater fans have stayed away because the prices are too high.

His latest policy of crap half time offers and moneyless tills all this does is mean more people spend less on match day in the ground.

For me a complete rethink is needed from top to bottom

This is the highest fibre post I’ve ever seen on here

• Haha 4

Me and my son are coming to the end of an original 3 year ticket and have renewed for the next two.

My suggestion would be to charge POTG at the same rate as I'm paying per game plus say £1 or £2 both to cover admin and to make a season ticket have some value. I'd also give season ticket holders priority for cup tickets etc.

I don't know what that would cost but it would be a lot less than POTG is currently. Every extra person in the ground is extra revenue at little or no extra cost. No brainer, problem solved, I thank you, I thank you.

• Like 1

Not been a full-time attending supporter since the Dave Jones league one promotion season. That was the last season I had a season ticket and would get myself to nearly every away game, often driving to the games on my own.

Ever since then I've very much been cherry picking what games I get to. I would love to commit to a season ticket but a different job meant working in the week and I didn't want to miss out on the night games.

It's a lot more expensive since then and being a tight Yorkshire get means I often just don't bother any more. Quite sad really.

If there was a monthly package I'd definitely look at that as an option that might motivate me to get to the ground more. Make it so you can pre-load a season ticket card with games. That has some appeal most definitely.