The missing thousands at Hillsborough

23 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Your wrong. Look at the averages before Chansiri took control. Look at the averages during our last prem seasons from the late 90s. 23k is a decent average for a mid league team charging more than 90 percent of the footy league. 

The popularity of football has gone up so much. Data from the 90’s means very little nowadays imo. Even as recent as the last few years with sky and how much it’s rammed down everyone’s throat, combined with the national side doing well. It’s simplistic to think we are getting decent attendances based on our past f having had a below average team for 20 years.

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

The popularity of football has gone up so much. Data from the 90’s means very little nowadays imo. Even as recent as the last few years with sky and how much it’s rammed down everyone’s throat, combined with the national side doing well. It’s simplistic to think we are getting decent attendances based on our past f having had a below average team for 20 years.

Not to mention the population of the UK has increased 10 million since the early 90’s. 

23 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

People's excuses for utds average been higher than ours is because they pay on average £8 a game more is embarrassing. £8 flipping quid. Less than 2 pint. Get a grip will ya. 

£8 is an hour or two’s wage for some people. Let’s not ‘get a grip’. Let’s instesd understand other people’s circumstances and priorities differ from your own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've argued for 20 years and many times on here that we need imaginative and innovative marketing. Lots of good ideas posted in this thread and ,of course, success brings crowds, but it still has to be affordable. The club have painted themseves into a corner with long term deals, complicated structure and season tickets. However what sticks out a mile is we need the next generation, especially now they can go to BL and see Sterling and Kane etc. Pay on the day shoud only be about 15 % more than ST price, I wouldn't mind. And kids should range from Nothing for under 6's, £1 for 6-11, £3 for 11-18, and £8 for 18-21. 

I resent been called a part time supporter!  In am a full time Wednesday fan who CANNOT afford to go to all the games! So please don't use the term "part time" in a derogatory, lnsulting way as many many hundreds of fans just cannot afford!  Simple as.....

39 minutes ago, selbyowls said:

Next season it as to be cheaper than the lane.

I bet you a packet of Oreo cookies that it's not. For equivalent stands, ie North South and kop, our adult walk up prices will be more than theirs.

Just standard ones, not double stuffed or owt fancy by the way, just a classic pack. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 18:59, Sheffield1973 said:

Cut prices

Offer season ticket holders a free junior ticket up to 13 free

Give season ticket holders vouchers for match pies and beers

Fill the Away end bottom tier first

Fill the NE corner with flags and banners

Stop making us feel like we’re customers to be rinsed at every chance 

it’s not hard

Amazes me why we don't fill away end from bottom tier. We must be the only club that don't do this. Bolton springs to mind. They only open top tier if demand allows. Let's face it, only Blunts, Leeds and Villa fill that away end and there's every chance 2 out of those 3 won't be in Championship next season. I hate seeing the bottom tier empty and it creates a poor atmosphere. 

In terms of getting crowds back, like others have said, need some incentives - free kids tickets, discounts, vouchers and some success on the pitch wouldn't go amiss. I often wonder if there is anybody in the club capable of thinking of these ideas or if they do but they are told no. 

Win, win, win and contend for promotion, with a brilliant footballing flair. Create the atmosphere that Hillsborough is crying out for. 

Take advantage of the imminent DCMS decision on safe standing, and get some installed to help create that atmosphere.

It's not just pricing, it's about the entertainment value, we've been too stagnant for far too long. Bruce is turning that matchday experience around with the players, we need to do the same on the stands. 

14 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Amazes me why we don't fill away end from bottom tier. We must be the only club that don't do this. Bolton springs to mind. They only open top tier if demand allows. Let's face it, only Blunts, Leeds and Villa fill that away end and there's every chance 2 out of those 3 won't be in Championship next season. I hate seeing the bottom tier empty and it creates a poor atmosphere. 

In terms of getting crowds back, like others have said, need some incentives - free kids tickets, discounts, vouchers and some success on the pitch wouldn't go amiss. I often wonder if there is anybody in the club capable of thinking of these ideas or if they do but they are told no. 

Not only that....You get home, watch the "highlights" and when a goal goes in at that end..it looks absolutely crap...Its fine when you are on the Kop or wherever, cos of the stuff around you, but god on the telly it looks shocking!

11 hours ago, Geedee said:

I don't want to go to every game. I just do other things now at weekends. 

The point of my post was to agree with others that performances other than price is the main driver. 

Eg I wouldn't be interested in the match next Sunday for free, if we were challenging I would pay £40 for a North stand seat. 

However I can see why a 5 any match ticket at say £125 for the north stand would be attractive and would probably result in me going to a few more games. 

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Ah right, I see. 

It really is all about having a successful team on the pitch. Win games and the crowds go up. OK we can have discounts and offers and freebies but nothing fills the ground like a winning team. And when the team's winning the current prices will be paid by thousands. 

I didnt say it was all about performances I said performances was the main driver. Of course price has an impact on everything in life for virtually all of us. 

But the one thing that will do more  to get more people to go next year is having something worth watching on the pitch that's no different at any football club. 

• Like 1

Daft as it sounds Wednesday could well get more money in through the gate than United do, IF we are succesful next season!...Is that summat to be proud of?

No..Its a f.ooking disgrace, the whole pricing policy is a disgrace.

We had our chance and blew it in 2 seasons...United built carefully, indulged the fanbase and now make us look absolute mugs, they did it on a virtual shoe string by simply running the club properly.

We're all to blame to a certain extent..."Tally ho..Devil take the hindmost, the fans can come back when we are in the Prem and can set a decent pricing policy..The "Haves" will subsidise the "Have nots" until then..."We're All Wednesday aren't we?"...

Last chance saloon now...Steve Bruce..its the first positive sign for ages....and here we are ..strapped for cash, threatened by FFP, and what will happen...?

Get the fans behind the team with sensible prices, bearing in mind Man U tip up at The Lane and their fans are charged less than ours as Luton tip up at Hillsborough?

F.ook me!

11 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I didnt say it was all about performances I said performances was the main driver. Of course price has an impact on everything in life for virtually all of us. 

But the one thing that will do more  to get more people to go next year is having something worth watching on the pitch that's no different at any football club. 

Produce next season what wilder has done this for the blunts and we will have unrivalled support, sorry for saying but he has done a 1st class job, hopefully 2nd class, come on Norwich.

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Yes but if you compare championship attendances now with 10 years ago (same clubs) they haven't changed much and a number for the Championship 'ever presents' actually had lower average attendances last season than in 2009/10

On 28/04/2019 at 17:59, Sheffield1973 said:

Cut prices

Offer season ticket holders a free junior ticket up to 13 free

Give season ticket holders vouchers for match pies and beers

Fill the Away end bottom tier first

Fill the NE corner with flags and banners

Stop making us feel like we’re customers to be rinsed at every chance 

it’s not hard

Agreed.  

Simple problems require simple solutions. 

I would probably spend money at a match if there was dry and warm facilities. Always buy a pint etc at Steelers as it's a much nicer environment to drink in than next to an outside bog on the kop

Edited by modboy