The missing thousands at Hillsborough

3 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Just looked it up. Kop ST for adult is £505 which is £21.95 per game for 23 games. So how about POTG of £24 on Kop for an Adult?

The adult Kop price Vs QPR for non members is £33

Makes complete sense for the floating fans and for next season.

I imagine in doing so we may lose some revenue though at the moment with so many disengaged we risk losing a lot of people long term. Football is a habit once people break the cycle for a season or two and find other things to do on Saturday it gets very hard to attract people back. 

ST gets you 23 games a season, plus priority for games not covered. That priority is actually a big selling point IF your team is genuinely competitive.

Indeed, I believe it’s a far bigger selling point than £ per game. I believe very few ST holders are gonna chuck toys if their ‘saving’ over POTG prices drops, so long as the price they’re actually paying themselves doesn’t go up. (And frankly, any ST holder who gets mardy because their saving over non-ST holders goes down is a bit of a tool. Buy what YOU want and ignore the rest. More people attending is unequivocally good, whatever we’ve each paid.)

Make STs average out to £20 per game, make POTG prices £25 everywhere, and keep the priority system for fans willing/able to commit to a ST. *That’s* the big selling point IMO, there’s no sense in trying to price POTG so outrageously that everyone has to either buy a ST or feel totally mugged off.

Those that can afford it and can commit will do - those that can’t should be given every incentive possible to come support the club when they can, and not be treated like they owe the rest of us an insane penalty fee for their lack of loyalty. It’s criminal. And I say this very willingly as an ST holder.

Needs sorting and fast, second half of this season has been utterly thrilling but the atmosphere has been terrible, let’s be honest.

6 hours ago, owl-zat said:

How do we get the missing thousands of fans back to Hillsborough who have dropped off over the last 20 years for various reasons i.e relegation from Premier League, club on its knees financially and not being competitive and now high pay on the gate prices

What missing thousands who have dropped off over the last 20 years?

Our average gates for the last 3 seasons have been the highest they've been in the last 20 years. Before that they were higher due to being in the PL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

We have a core of 24kish and a lot more who are passive (hence Wembley etc...)

Serious question

How many do you think we'd get if it was £10 a game? How many for £20 a game?

Forest have averaged over 28k this season with sensible pricing.

I think we’d be something similar if we had the same pricing as them.

Put simply there are no missing thousands over the last twenty years. Last 3 games of 98-99 season we had 70K through the gates. 99-2000 season it was 72K. I make that an average of 23K ish.

One more reactionary mardy arse miffed because the Blades are promoted. The Game is cyclical. Stop making stuff up !  

• Thanks 1

The pay on the day price needs to be reduced. Make it 4 quid more than the average season ticket price for each stand. 1 price, 1 category. Call every game a category A game because Wednesday are in town for that game. 

Kids prices need to come down, and I'm talking kids up to the age of 18. My lad is 12 and it's 155 quid for him on the north. We don't want to go in the family stand cos the atmosphere is rubbish, his words not mine. Had a major battle with Mrs LMC over renewal for next season. Make it 50 quid for a season ticket for U18 when purchased with a full price adult. Fiver for U18 POTD when bought from ticket office, id required if it looks like they're trying on the pig trick. 1 turnstile per stand for POTD juniors so any queries don't hold everyone up. 

If the will was there from the club the above could be done and would see an upturn in attendances. 

Alternatively leave it as it is, win enough games to see us promoted and see a bigger upturn even at eye watering prices. 

Results affect crowds. Success affects crowds. Price becomes less of a barrier to a lot of people when the team is winning. Not all fans are like this before anyone starts posting their personal circumstances to justify why they don't go. 

I normally see Wednesday, home and away up to  about 6 times a season. 

I go to big or unusual games at Hillsborough and try and  get away tickets when I can. I am a longstanding club member. 

So a fairly typical infrequent but regular fan. 

There are two ways to get me to more home matches 

1) Challenge for promotion (obviously), I don't see any point in going to the 'friendly' against qpr next weekend. 

2) Offer a 5  any match ticket that gives me a cash  incentive to buy  5 matches up front regardless of how Wednesday are playing. 

8 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Our crowds in the back end of the Prem years were horrendous, people seem to forget that.

That's correct. Top of Premier league having won 4 games on bounce and only 17,000 turned up v Leicester.

5 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I normally see Wednesday, home and away up to  about 6 times a season. 

I go to big or unusual games at Hillsborough and try and  get away tickets when I can. I am a longstanding club member. 

So a fairly typical infrequent but regular fan. 

There are two ways to get me to more home matches 

1) Challenge for promotion (obviously), I don't see any point in going to the 'friendly' against qpr next weekend. 

2) Offer a 5  any match ticket that gives me a cash  incentive to buy  5 matches up front regardless of how Wednesday are playing. 

So is it the price that is stopping or dissuading you from attending every home game as a pay on the day fan? Or is it the opposition? Or is it the fact that we are mid table? 

Would all 3 of those things above have to change for you to come back for every game? 

7 hours ago, nilsson said:

Forest have averaged over 28k this season with sensible pricing.

I think we’d be something similar if we had the same pricing as them.

Nottingham is a big city with only one football league club.... well they will have after next weekend. :Sid:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, owl-zat said:

How do we get the missing thousands of fans back to Hillsborough who have dropped off over the last 20 years for various reasons i.e relegation from Premier League, club on its knees financially and not being competitive and now high pay on the gate prices.

Our attendances have been stuck around 22,000 to 23,000 the past 2 or 3 years only increasing slightly if when we’ve been doing well or attractive opposition mainly because fans have been picking and choosing their games rather than religiously turning up week after week.

The club can’t radically change its pricing structure because fans have purchased up to 5 year season tickets but . . . . .

What would people think about a monthly season ticket?

Looking at the price of season tickets on sale at the moment an adult is paying the following per game :-

Kop £21.96

North & Grandstand :-  £26.74

South Stand :-£30.65

Fans have many reasons why they can’t/won’t buy a season ticket from work commitments, financial reasons e.t.c. e.t.c

When the fixtures come out in June and we have for example 3 home games in August, people could sign up for a month ticket at say £25 per match on the Kop so £75 in total for which they’d be sent 3 match day tickets for the month.

September we may have 2 games so that’d be £50

People maybe don’t want to commit to £505 to £705 for an adult season ticket but might be prepared to commit to £50-£75 a month (just checking this seasons fixtures the most home league games in a month was 3) people don’t have to commit one month if they have work commitments / holidays planned / social arrangements preventing them going to a game e.t.c e.t.c

Hopefully next season we’ll be fighting for those automatic promotion places but the ground won’t fill up week on week paying £33 to £39 on the Kop or up to £49 on the South Stand

We only attract big crowds when we are successful. Don’t believe the hype, at both ends of the city. 

Think people are looking at it the wrong way around.

I'd like to see better season ticket / membership offers, family packages, more incentives to buy one 9like a home shirt for half price etc.). 

Most teams who have good attendances rely on a very high sales rate of season tickets. 

29 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

So is it the price that is stopping or dissuading you from attending every home game as a pay on the day fan? Or is it the opposition? Or is it the fact that we are mid table? 

Would all 3 of those things above have to change for you to come back for every game? 

I don't want to go to every game. I just do other things now at weekends. 

The point of my post was to agree with others that performances other than price is the main driver. 

Eg I wouldn't be interested in the match next Sunday for free, if we were challenging I would pay £40 for a North stand seat. 

However I can see why a 5 any match ticket at say £125 for the north stand would be attractive and would probably result in me going to a few more games. 

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Remember when Stuart Gray was in charge, when people thought we had something decent to build on but needed to spend more money. Before Chansiri came in and put the prices up - we averaged 21,993. 

Now, when it costs too much and it is fashionable to blame low crowds on the owner - after a shocking season last time out - we currently average 23,408.

Put the prices even higher there may be full houses !

We waited for a wealthy backer for years ,we finally get one ,we sign players that were out of our reach for years and everyone was getting a buzz

Then he told us the prices and folk such as me said "nope, not paying that even if I can afford it" and I wont be falling over myself to attend a midweek, hand picked for me, cheap(er) game .

No doubt next year will be the same ,giving away home advantage in the big televised games because we cant sell our tickets and then handing them to the opposition 

DC has shot himself in the foot big time

Imagine a neutral with a choice next year, premiership or championship football at a tenner more expensive

Tricky decision 

11 hours ago, mogbad said:

DC needs to wake up & learn about the make up of the population in Sheffield.  

We're known to have the highest retention of former students when they graduate.  In other words students who move to the city to further their education at our universities are more likely to stay here after graduation than other cities.  

These students settle in the city & raise families in the city.  If they decide to watch football in the city & they have no affinity to either club their decision on who to watch will be determined by accessibility, facilities, cost & league status. Cost wise we'll lose hands down & next season at least they can watch Premier football for a cheaper price than Championship football.  These potential new supporters will be lost forever & when their kids grow & have families of their own they'll generally automatically support their parents club.

DC's schemes rely to heavily on 22k to 23k hardcore Wednesday supporters & a couple of thousand floating spotters digging deeper into their pockets & does nothing to attract new streams of support & income.

The student thing is a myth I'm afraid