Well Done, Wednesday

Today's performance left a lot to be desired, and I'm sure we can pick over lineups, formations, substitutions and individual performances ad nauseam in typical Owlstalk fashion, but in the midst of our disappointment, I think it's worth taking a moment to reflect on how remarkable it is that today's game still had anything riding on it in the first place.

It may feel deflating in this moment, but the damage was done to our season not by our performance against a Leeds team who look worthy promotion winners, but long ago when we went on that terrible ten game run which culminated in Luhukay's sacking. The fact that we were somehow in with a shout of a playoff place at this late stage of the season is quite incredible, and is testament to the efforts of Bruce, his coaching team, and the players.

I'm sure there will be changes in the months to come, but if Bruce can keep the positive elements of his first few months whilst addressing the obvious shortcomings of our squad, then there's no reason why we can't look forward to next season with genuine optimism.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Today's performance left a lot to be desired, and I'm sure we can pick over lineups, formations, substitutions and individual performances ad nauseam in typical Owlstalk fashion, but in the midst of our disappointment, I think it's worth taking a moment to reflect on how remarkable it is that today's game still had anything riding on it in the first place.

It may feel deflating in this moment, but the damage was done to our season not by our performance against a Leeds team who look worthy promotion winners, but long ago when we went on that terrible ten game run which culminated in Luhukay's sacking. The fact that we were somehow in with a shout of a playoff place at this late stage of the season is quite incredible, and is testament to the efforts of Bruce, his coaching team, and the players.

I'm sure there will be changes in the months to come, but if Bruce can keep the positive elements of his first few months whilst addressing the obvious shortcomings of our squad, then there's no reason why we can't look forward to next season with genuine optimism.

Well said.

• Thanks 1

Guest gizowl

Agree, playoffs were always a step too far, but to get through that nightmare under jos and end up with optimism for next season under the guidance of Bruce is far more than I thought possible just before Xmas, a lot of work to be done for the start of next Season, but we have got just the man to make next season a whole lot better than this one. UTO 

1 minute ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Only disappointment today was we seemed overcome by the situation and could not string more that two passes together. Bad day in the office and very Jos-esque performance. 

I think it's just typical of this group of players to be honest, big game = flatter to deceive... Bruce will suss this

We need a complete overhaul.

All outfield out of contracts should go and as many of the others as possible.

The modern game is about having athletic, mobile, flexible players who can play high tempo football for 90 min .

I am fed up watching us getting completely outplayed in central midfield, having zero possession and hanging on in games because we look out on our feet.

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

What? The mighty l**ds...they were biting their finger tips for 20 mins...and they had the ref on their side.

Thought we did ok today, especially with Bannan giving the ball away...and givin hospital passes...he was off it today

He’s Allways off it when he doesn’t have the freedom of the park.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well said that man! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The modern game is about having athletic, mobile, flexible players who can play high tempo football for 90 min .

I am fed up watching us getting completely outplayed in central midfield, having zero possession and hanging on in games because we look out on our feet.

A bit rash mate. Today wasn't good but we haven't been outplayed by anyone really since the new year.

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

I'm not sure I can say well done today.

We were wee wee poor.  Deserved nothing from that second half showing.  

We were poor today against a very good Leeds side. It happens.

But it's happened very rarely since Bruce and his team took the reigns, and the fact that we were even contemplating the playoffs after the second quarter of the season which we endured is really what I'm praising.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Was going to neg, until I realised you said outfield. I think it'll be scandalous not to offer Westwood another contract. His performances has kept us in the hunt for the play offs

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We were poor today against a very good Leeds side. It happens.

But it's happened very rarely since Bruce and his team took the reigns, and the fact that we were even contemplating the playoffs after the second quarter of the season which we endured is really what I'm praising.

I wouldn't say leeds were particularly great today.  They were much better when we played them earlier in the season.