Well Done, Wednesday

We were bobbar today yes, but I genuinely don’t think Leeds are that good a side. They play with high press and tempo, but they don’t wow as a side to watch.As said before, it’s another poor championship this season, if it wasn’t for that fvckwit Jos, who knows where we’d have ended up.

49 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We were poor today against a very good Leeds side. It happens.

But it's happened very rarely since Bruce and his team took the reigns, and the fact that we were even contemplating the playoffs after the second quarter of the season which we endured is really what I'm praising.

Reading that back again, I can't disagree with what you have said.  

Still disappointed with the result today. though.  

10 minutes ago, Ironman said:

We were bobbar today yes, but I genuinely don’t think Leeds are that good a side. They play with high press and tempo, but they don’t wow as a side to watch.As said before, it’s another poor championship this season, if it wasn’t for that fvckwit Jos, who knows where we’d have ended up.

Agreed in the main

I thought Leeds were ponderous, indecisive and careless - often choosing the wrong option or being so delayed in thought and deed that they wasted good opportunity.

I thought we fell between two stools - if we had another combative/defensive MF in the centre alongside Hutch we would have fared better - or alternatively have more creativity and take the game to a reasonably open and vulnerable Leeds team

The difference a maverick player like FF made kept us within touching distance of a win/draw throughout his short time on the field - not because he was particularly outstanding but the shift of emphasis from Leeds when he came on was tangible 

Bannan was wasted out there today - the epitome of falling between the two stools

Hutch put a shift in and was one of our better players but was on a hiding to nothing in that formation

But despite everything there wasn't much between the teams - bodes well for next season if we can continue to evolve a style for the vagaries of an attritional championship season

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ironman said:

They will struggle against any side with real pace up top and out on the flanks.. 

It was alwsys gojng to be a struggle against the high press, fox and Lees arnt good on the ball and we had no real pace to play over the top of the high press which is the best way to combat it, turn them around when thier pushing your back four. One good ball over the top with someone capable of turning the defence around leaves it open. 

1 hour ago, archieswfc said:

A bit rash mate. Today wasn't good but we haven't been outplayed by anyone really since the new year.

We fallen short when it mattered. 

Today and last week against Villa. Different performances, but the squad overall isn't anywhere near good enough to go up. 

I thought man for man our keeper and defence played well today. It's a good job they did. Two or three others did ok, but they were feeding off scraps. 

As soon as Reach went off (losing our shape and our most willing runner) , the best we could hope for was a draw. 

Bruce has done well, he's the right man for the job. But why he kept Boyd on the pitch in the second half is anyone's guess. 

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

3 hours ago, Cypriot Owl said:

We just can't handle the big games, shown it time after time in the last few seasons

As for this ref he has given us very little in the games he has officiated this season, (was a complete W#####r against Wigan).

I think with a fit squad we will handle the big games. We are bereft of fit players, think all the injuries have finally caught up with us. Not great today but happy with Bruce and the effort from players who are obviously not 100%. 

All positive for next season, so start the rebuilding asap.

5 hours ago, archieswfc said:

A bit rash mate. Today wasn't good but we haven't been outplayed by anyone really since the new year.

Since new year we've been outplayed by Hull City, Chelsea, Stoke City and now Leeds United.

Our turnaround in terms of both performances and points since Luhukay was sacked speaks for itself.  We've been much improved.  Long may it continue.

To state that we haven't been outplayed by anyone in 2019 is a hyperbolic statement that devalues your point.

Not wanting to count any chickens, but if what’s happened since Christmas is anything to go by, we should be promoted this time next year. 

Lets not forget it’s still not mathematically impossible to get playoffs. If we can beat norwich, and Bristol, result depending, it could still be alive with the last few games to play. 

I still don think the penny drops with many of you . It wasn’t a bad day at the office blah blah blah ,we are just not up to Leeds quality it’s that simple . Better teams generally beat the poorer ones , and we are poorer than them . Clear out the crocks and the oldies , few smart loans and we will have a chance 

11 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

The silver lining is Lee has a few games now with no pressure on. It would be a massive boost if he could make a comeback.

Will he do enough to earn new contract especially considering financial issues

11 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

What? The mighty l**ds...they were biting their finger tips for 20 mins...and they had the ref on their side.

Thought we did ok today, especially with Bannan giving the ball away...and givin hospital passes...he was off it today

Yeah there seems a lot of despondency about last nights performance but for the first 15-20 mins and last 10-15 I thought we competed very well. They dominated the middle section and it was worrying that we couldn’t retain possession for longer than we did, which then just invited pressure. Defensively though I thought we were very strong, admittedly riding our luck at times. And we could have sneaked a goal ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty SB needs to work on over the summer, but 1-0 away to one of the top teams isn’t a disaster.

Guest mkowl

It will be an interesting summer that's for sure because Bruce will be identifying the weak links but we also have the spectre of FFP hanging over us. Hence what you would like to do and what you can do are 2 different things. 

It has been clear for me for a while that once we are put under pressure we concede far too many good chances. In the main we defend well yesterday but it still took 4 or so class saves from Westwood and one off the line from Hooper.

The real issue was in the transition, time and time a chance to relieve the pressure was stopped by very poor passing and decision making, not always due to Leeds pressing. 

So it move forward we need players that can wrest back control of midfield, indeed never lose control in the first place. Then our strikers would do the business.