Well Done, Wednesday

12 hours ago, s6 owl said:

I think it's just typical of this group of players to be honest, big game = flatter to deceive... Bruce will suss this

Nail on head, it's always the same, when a team comes at us full on, some of our players aren't up for it, can't string 2 passes together when under pressure, I'm glad that Steve Bruce saw that yesterday, and which players it affected more. 

11 hours ago, archieswfc said:

A bit rash mate. Today wasn't good but we haven't been outplayed by anyone really since the new year.

Do you really think that we were not outplayed yesterday. 

I beg to differ. 

7 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Nail on head, it's always the same, when a team comes at us full on, some of our players aren't up for it, can't string 2 passes together when under pressure, I'm glad that Steve Bruce saw that yesterday, and which players it affected more. 

Because they are all ageing with poor injury that simple . We had no pace to get up the field and hit the better side on the break , the only way we would score 

33 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It will be an interesting summer that's for sure because Bruce will be identifying the weak links but we also have the spectre of FFP hanging over us. Hence what you would like to do and what you can do are 2 different things. 

It has been clear for me for a while that once we are put under pressure we concede far too many good chances. In the main we defend well yesterday but it still took 4 or so class saves from Westwood and one off the line from Hooper.

The real issue was in the transition, time and time a chance to relieve the pressure was stopped by very poor passing and decision making, not always due to Leeds pressing. 

So it move forward we need players that can wrest back control of midfield, indeed never lose control in the first place. Then our strikers would do the business.

We played with 2 in midfield to their 3 away from home against the fittest side in

the league. We were always going to lose the battle in there.

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Because they are all ageing with poor injury that simple . We had no pace to get up the field and hit the better side on the break , the only way we would score 

Couldn't agree more, roll on the summer and get rid.

Can't wait for the retained list or whatever they call it. 

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

Will he do enough to earn new contract especially considering financial issues

The $64 million question, isn't it? With nothing much more to play for this season, he has (I hope) an opportunity to show what he can do. If he is anything like the Lee of old, he would certainly warrant consideration. Whether he is worth the risk both from a playing perspective and a financial viewpoint is for others to decide. None of us are privy to the information necessary to make that decision.

3 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We played with 2 in midfield to their 3 away from home against the fittest side in

the league. We were always going to lose the battle in there.

It concerns me that Bruce thought we could ever win the game with only two in midfield. 

Very few successful teams at a decent level play two central midfield players and additionally our two don’t have the attributes to play that way.

To make it work playing a second striker like Hooper or FF you need to get the ball to their feet and to do that you need decent possession which we don’t get.

Of course, quite rightly Bruce has a free pass at the moment because he has done well and we don’t really have another quality midfield player to put in there but I will be worried if we go into next season trying to play the same way.

16 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

What? The mighty l**ds...they were biting their finger tips for 20 mins...and they had the ref on their side.

Thought we did ok today, especially with Bannan giving the ball away...and givin hospital passes...he was off it today

he was hunted and shut down, good tactics to stop wednesday.

15 hours ago, scram said:

Agreed in the main

I thought Leeds were ponderous, indecisive and careless - often choosing the wrong option or being so delayed in thought and deed that they wasted good opportunity.

I thought we fell between two stools - if we had another combative/defensive MF in the centre alongside Hutch we would have fared better - or alternatively have more creativity and take the game to a reasonably open and vulnerable Leeds team

The difference a maverick player like FF made kept us within touching distance of a win/draw throughout his short time on the field - not because he was particularly outstanding but the shift of emphasis from Leeds when he came on was tangible 

Bannan was wasted out there today - the epitome of falling between the two stools

Hutch put a shift in and was one of our better players but was on a hiding to nothing in that formation

But despite everything there wasn't much between the teams - bodes well for next season if we can continue to evolve a style for the vagaries of an attritional championship season

WESTWOOD

8 hours ago, Dezzabezza said:

Yeah there seems a lot of despondency about last nights performance but for the first 15-20 mins and last 10-15 I thought we competed very well. They dominated the middle section and it was worrying that we couldn’t retain possession for longer than we did, which then just invited pressure. Defensively though I thought we were very strong, admittedly riding our luck at times. And we could have sneaked a goal ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty SB needs to work on over the summer, but 1-0 away to one of the top teams isn’t a disaster.

Spot on. Leeds had pretty much their 1st choice 11which showed. We on the other hand have not had that luxury all season. So to be in a position where we have been close to the play offs is remarkable considering the Jos, injuries etc.

Trust in Bruce to sort it for next season.

8 hours ago, oldishowl said:

It concerns me that Bruce thought we could ever win the game with only two in midfield. 

Very few successful teams at a decent level play two central midfield players and additionally our two don’t have the attributes to play that way.

To make it work playing a second striker like Hooper or FF you need to get the ball to their feet and to do that you need decent possession which we don’t get.

Of course, quite rightly Bruce has a free pass at the moment because he has done well and we don’t really have another quality midfield player to put in there but I will be worried if we go into next season trying to play the same way.

I think you answered your own post, to some extent.

We just don't have the central midfielders to play three in the middle at present, unless we want to use Pelupessy alongside Hutchinson and Bannan, or play Reach out of position. We also don't have any strikers who excel as a lone frontman.

Bruce mostly used a 4-2-3-1 during his time at Villa and towards the end of his time at Hull, which would suggest this is his preferred formation. I suspect he might try to shape the squad in order to make it the most logical formation for the players at his disposal next season, too.