John Ritchie

Great piece about Wednesday and Stoke legend John Ritchie. My first Wednesday hero.

Underplays how we bought him  from Stoke for 75k then sold him back for 25k 2 years later after he scored 37 goals in 77 games.

Stoke won league cup, we were relegated. Thanks Danny Williams, our original Jos

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-sheffield-wednesday-john-ri

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Great piece about Wednesday and Stoke legend John Ritchie. My first Wednesday hero.

Underplays how we bought him  from Stoke for 75k then sold him back for 25k 2 years later after he scored 37 goals in 77 games.

Stoke won league cup, we were relegated. Thanks Danny Williams, our original Jos

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-sheffield-wednesday-john-ri

Good to see we’ve always been dire in the transfer market

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Wasn’t he replaced by Alan Warboys

47 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Williams can be blamed for many things but selling Ritchie wasn't one of them …

Don’t think Sissons was there till after Ritchie had gone back to Stoke. He (Ritchie) was playing in the 5-4 Manure classic in 1968, he scored one I think that day. I’ve a feeling Sissons was at Hillsborough in 1970’s when I was at Westfield cos he did some coaching at the youth club there if I remember rightly. He (Sissons) once turned out for Westfield staff in a match I watched from the touchline...bet the manager didn’t know about that high risk behaviour:tango:

10 minutes ago, brazilowl said:

He always played good against us for stoke so glad we bought him  not sure but didn’t we sell our best winger ( Sissons) just after we bought JR 

sissons signed the season after Ritchie left …..

14 minutes ago, brazilowl said:

He always played good against us for stoke so glad we bought him  not sure but didn’t we sell our best winger ( Sissons) just after we bought JR 

Could it have been David Ford that left around that time, or Jack Whitham or McCalliog or Wilf Smith , quite a few of the 66 cup final team left in that period.

3 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Could it have been David Ford that left around that time, or Jack Whitham or McCalliog or Wilf Smith , quite a few of the 66 cup final team left in that period.

mccalliog and Ritchie left at the same time ,having just  spent £100,000 on tommy craig the club had to get the money to cover the cost and those two were sacrificed was always my take on why they left .  

We've had a few that we're equally as bad or worse than Danny Williams.

He was in charge at a time of decline as were Dooley, Ashurst, Burtenshaw and then in later years we came across Eustace, Turner, Yorath and the infamous Dutch legend that is Jos who IMO ranks alongside Eustace as the most inept managers we've ever had.

At least Eustace can claim to have been a more than decent player for us. Jos on the other hand...

13 minutes ago, torryowl said:

mccalliog and Ritchie left at the same time ,having just  spent £100,000 on tommy craig the club had to get the money to cover the cost and those two were sacrificed was always my take on why they left .  

Aye that’s about right...my memory is poor at best. Was Jackie Sinclair in the same team as Sissons? Warboys at centre for’ard? It all gets a bit vague....wish I’d kept all those programmes! Then of course Brian Joicey and Dave Clements arrived from Coventry...there’s a picture of them somewhere on here with Sissons I think. This is a flippin nightmare, trying to get all these old “players” in the right order:sad:

28 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Aye that’s about right...my memory is poor at best. Was Jackie Sinclair in the same team as Sissons? Warboys at centre for’ard? It all gets a bit vague....wish I’d kept all those programmes! Then of course Brian Joicey and Dave Clements arrived from Coventry...there’s a picture of them somewhere on here with Sissons I think. This is a flippin nightmare, trying to get all these old “players” in the right order:sad:

Sinclair, warboys  and sissons played in the same team …….