John Ritchie

2 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Oh we ain’t got a barrel of monnnneyy!! but we’ve got Sinclair and  Sunley ! With Tommy Craig too promotion is due Wednesday.

Remember that cracker of a song garymegson

:tango: Reyt cracker...didn’t dem blavges used to sing it abaht Woodward and currie an all?

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

Think that song was aimed at Alan Brown. " Is it true what Ritchie says your iron lung has broken down" sung to the tune of " Excerpt From A teenage Opera" by Keith West. My favourite was " Ritchie the bush kangaroo " song from the kids prog Skippy.

Can't believe how I remember all this crap and can't remember why I went into the kitchen.

Edited by Buckwheat
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Aye but an interesting combo of resting places....are you in the forces or retired out there? If you’re out in Cyprus now, hows the weather?

I'm lucky to be able to live at both locations as I am retired.  5 months of the year in Cyprus and the rest in the UK to  see the Owls.

1 minute ago, Terryowl said:

I'm lucky to be able to live at both locations as I am retired.  5 months of the year in Cyprus and the rest in the UK to  see the Owls.

Nice one Terryowl! Lucky lad...I’ve not seen Wednesday play since that arsenal cup win. Cornwall a bit too far for flying visits.

Seen mention of the 1968 5-4 v Man Utd. Greatest game I saw. Best, Law (2) and Charlton scored for Man Utd. Our goals were from Ritchie and Whitham (4).  Jack Whitham’s fourth was originally down as an og but given to Whitham later. It was my 14th Birthday. Only downside it wasn’t televised. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkey Owl said:

Seen mention of the 1968 5-4 v Man Utd. Greatest game I saw. Best, Law (2) and Charlton scored for Man Utd. Our goals were from Ritchie and Whitham (4).  Jack Whitham’s fourth was originally down as an og but given to Whitham later. It was my 14th Birthday. Only downside it wasn’t televised. 

Aye, t’were a good un. I was in the North for the first ever time as usually went on the Kop with fayther. Got some great photos that day which were Kodachrome slides and I think mother has ditched them now!!! Best goal was Don Megson hitting a thunderbolt at the Kop end which literally nearly broke the stanchion and net...only to be disallowed! Glad I wasn’t on the Kop as it was pandemonium on there. Think it was 52,000 that day.

1 hour ago, sternlad said:

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Think David Ford was still recovering from the tragic car accident. Oh those were the days a great team in those days.

1 minute ago, Terryowl said:

Think David Ford was still recovering from the tragic car accident. Oh those were the days a great team in those days.

Aye, I wondered that when I typed it...but memory is rubbish when it comes to placing all these players in the correct era. That would account for me not seeing David Ford play that much cos he left for Newcastle (?) not long after he recovered. 

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

In the article it says he contracted TB and had to go to Switzerland for lengthy treatment.

Also says William's sold him as he didn't fit with the way he wanted to play  but I'm not old enough to remember that tbh so will bow to your greater knowledge.

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

If I remember rightly that was the last league match Sept 1967? that we won at the lane until we did the double over them in the 2008/9 season.

Remember Ritchie playing against Chelsea and running onto a ball that went over their defence. Chopper Harris (or was it Mickey Droy?) had a few goes but was only able to slow him down a bit by grabbing Ritchie's shirt. Even then, Ritchie kept going with his shirt in tatters, leaving the Chelsea defender in his wake.

3 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

In the article it says he contracted TB and had to go to Switzerland for lengthy treatment.

Also says William's sold him as he didn't fit with the way he wanted to play  but I'm not old enough to remember that tbh so will bow to your greater knowledge.

The article is wrong then......Ritchie left 3 weeks before Williams was appointed

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I always thought it was Danny Williams that sold him back..............Eric Taylor apparently

Williams  probably would have done if he had the chance coz he sold all the other good players …was way out of his depth managing in the 1st division .

The agenda to sell the asset players had already been set by the directors before Williams arrived,two other managers already turned the job down knowing what was in store,but Williams accepted the challenge,and almost pulled it off against the odds.

Ive some fond memories of big Johns time here,he was far from first choice for the CF role,Hickton was given a run after wed been pipped to Ron Davies by Southampton,Brown didnt rate the fact he was a CB that was moonlighting as a foreward and against Dooleys advice,sold him,so Brown moved for the other welsh foreward Wynn Davies at Bolton,the pair met in a lancs hotel after Bolton accepted our offer,only for Davies to tell us that hed already agreed to sign for Newcastle at the end of that season,Ritchie duly stuck two goals past us in October,and Stoke agreed to his sale,and he joined us the following month.

His final season was ruined by an injury picked up in the league cup at Exeter and he netted just 6 goals from his 23 games,Stoke snapped him up for a bargain price and he duly re found his scoring boots again.

One of his best games for us came in a memorable cup tie in his initial season,the meeting of the Springett brothers,Big John hit all three goals past Peter Springett in 3-0 win

Guest samowl
12 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

On them four goals Whitham signed for Liverpool. Ended up bar manager at Niagara police club 

Ritchie went back to Stoke. Shame as Warboys was shaping up to be a good strike partner with 

UTOFTB