Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, samowl said:

On them four goals Whitham signed for Liverpool. Ended up bar manager at Niagara police club 

Ritchie went back to Stoke. Shame as Warboys was shaping up to be a good strike partner with 

UTOFTB 

Witham averaged a goal every other game,62 games 31 goals unlike Warboys who hit 13 goals in 79 games,so a goal every 6 games,he was crap,Ritchie with his feet tied together was far better then Warboys,he was a lower league player,Ritchie bagged his goals in the top division,Warboys kicked his career off with us by scoring a massive ONCE in 18 games,small wonder he ended up at Bristol Rovers,he was indicative of our boards mindset back in the late 60s,small wonder we went down,they thought small and bought smaller,it was top flight football on the cheap and it caught them all out,still they all got their bourbons and tea at half time in thier cozy directors seats.Our board was a total disgrace back then

  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Witham averaged a goal every other game,62 games 31 goals unlike Warboys who hit 13 goals in 79 games,so a goal every 6 games,he was crap,Ritchie with his feet tied together was far better then Warboys,he was a lower league player,Ritchie bagged his goals in the top division,Warboys kicked his career off with us by scoring a massive ONCE in 18 games,small wonder he ended up at Bristol Rovers,he was indicative of our boards mindset back in the late 60s,small wonder we went down,they thought small and bought smaller,it was top flight football on the cheap and it caught them all out,still they all got their bourbons and tea at half time in thier cozy directors seats.Our board was a total disgrace back then

Spot on about the board......in the ten years from catterick arriving to Marshall leaving they signed only 15 players and most of them on the cheap.....then Williams arrived and things got a whole lot worse as they sold off what good players we had .....disgrace sums up the board perfectly

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Witham averaged a goal every other game,62 games 31 goals unlike Warboys who hit 13 goals in 79 games,so a goal every 6 games,he was crap,Ritchie with his feet tied together was far better then Warboys,he was a lower league player,Ritchie bagged his goals in the top division,Warboys kicked his career off with us by scoring a massive ONCE in 18 games,small wonder he ended up at Bristol Rovers,he was indicative of our boards mindset back in the late 60s,small wonder we went down,they thought small and bought smaller,it was top flight football on the cheap and it caught them all out,still they all got their bourbons and tea at half time in thier cozy directors seats.Our board was a total disgrace back then

Have to totally agree with you about Warboys. To me, he was just a rough house bustling striker who offered little goal threat in comparison to Richie who was a class act, a proven goal scorer who would have been a legend here if he’d been played properly.

Whitham was looking like the sort of player we’d not had up front since David Ford and I was gutted when he went.

The only other time I felt the same was when they let Tommy Tynan go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2019 at 22:24, fatzooma said:

154B4625-951D-49BB-B9DE-1370150480D3.jpeg

Feb 2nd 1979 saw the demise of Mr Simon Ritchie/John Beverley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 08:38, sternlad said:

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

Went to that one, think Richie's goal came just on the stroke of half time, a header off the underside of the bar at the Lep end. Think Fantham made it 2-2 just before the final whistle.

 

First time I'd seen trouble at a match  that night, as fans spilled onto the pitch from the Kop at half time.

 

Also remember George Best waltzing through our defence near the end and Don Megson sliding in from nowhere to clear off the line.

 

Great match, who'd have thought it would be bettered the following year, which still ranks as the best match I've seen Wednesday play.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember a goal Ritchie got against Leeds..can't remember if it was in the cup or not...You heard it hit his forehead from the top of the Eastbank..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think you mean it was the sound of his forehead hitting the ball ...not t’other way round!:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 10:00, sternlad said:

Would argue that Tommy Craig was a bit of a general in between those two, even though he was the “only jewel in a shower of  poo ” . Funny but I never saw McCalliog as a playmaker, more your old style inside forward...but then what did I know I were abaht ten!:duntmatter:

They were a shower of poo because the better players left as Craig was being paid more than them. Nowt like a bit of jealousy to upset players.

Edited by Jakes Grandad
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2019 at 07:34, torryowl said:

Spot on about the board......in the ten years from catterick arriving to Marshall leaving they signed only 15 players and most of them on the cheap.....then Williams arrived and things got a whole lot worse as they sold off what good players we had .....disgrace sums up the board perfectly

 

Is my memory failing or was it Marshall in charge when we signed Tommy Craig. That was the catalyst for a lot of players leaving at that time and we ended with some poor excuses for Div 1 players. Agree the board were a disgrace at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2019 at 19:29, Jakes Grandad said:

Is my memory failing or was it Marshall in charge when we signed Tommy Craig. That was the catalyst for a lot of players leaving at that time and we ended with some poor excuses for Div 1 players. Agree the board were a disgrace at that time.

Amazingly we didn't have a manager when we signed Craig......Taylor signed him and then came out with quote on debut that the team tonight is Tommy Craig and 10 others.....which probably 

 didn't go down well with 10 others ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...