John Ritchie

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

• Haha 1

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

18 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

That was my first game as well but I can't remember  the team.

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Edited by sternlad
More info

3 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

Scored 2 in the first match I saw against Chelsea December 1966. We won 6-1. Think McCalliog and Fantham scored as well. 

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Edited by daveyboy66

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

That was the one that hit the stanchion in the net and bounced back out and McCalliog volleyed it back in. From the Shoreham it looked as though he had hit the post.

Guest gizowl

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

17 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Would argue that Tommy Craig was a bit of a general in between those two, even though he was the “only jewel in a shower of  poo ” . Funny but I never saw McCalliog as a playmaker, more your old style inside forward...but then what did I know I were abaht ten!:duntmatter:

17 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

Jumpers for goalposts....

56 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Actually, no Eustace in that line up either. Very elegant player Eustace, could be a bit lightweight, but great control and passing ability...had the game of his life at Elland Road in that FA Cup replay that we won 3-1.