Liam Palmer for Scotland

15 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I would imagine he will be overlooked by someone "tearing up" the Scottish championship. Bannan normally is.

Controversial though this will be Paz after tonight's performance Bannan could be overlooked by "someone tearing" up Scottish league 2

51 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Controversial though this will be Paz after tonight's performance Bannan could be overlooked by "someone tearing" up Scottish league 2

Not one attacking player played well. Palmer Hutch Hector Lees were our best players. 

That was the game.

7 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Bannan doesn’t get in their team for a reason, they have better players who pay in his position . Palmer has been mentioned on merit , a just reward for his form 

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly all those calling for Iorfa to eventually replace him are in for a long wait. 

I like Iorfa's pace but he shouldn't oust Palmer. Not sure where we should use him.

Palmer's probably 3rd choice by my reckoning. Callum Paterson and Stephen O'Donnell have both been in recent squads, have done well and are decent players. Paterson does tend to play attacking mid more these days tho, so that may open a door for Palmer in the relatively near future.

As for Bannan.. With 27 caps, he's had a lot of chances for Scotland and never quite produced. His passing seems to always be a lot more warward in the dark blue than in blue and white. It might be a temperament thing. Bannan should be a lot better at finishing than he is. He should just pass it into the net, but he gets a rush of blood and kicks it at the moon more often than not. The same is perhaps true when playing for Scotland. He's trying so much that things don't tend to come off. The result is that most of the Scotland fans probably don't think Bannan should be considered any longer.

Center mid is also very heavily contested for Scotland right now, so Bannan is left quite far down the list.
Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Scott McTominay (Man Utd) and Callum McGregor (Celtic) are likely to start the upcoming qualifiers, unless Ryan Christie (Celtic) get back fit in time.

In line behind them.. Snodgrass who's playing every week for West Ham, Paterson at Cardiff, plus Cairney and McDonald at Fulham. Then you get into the Championship, and there's Fleck at United and McGinn at Villa who are both doing very well as well. On top of that there's young players like Ewan Henderson, Lewis Ferguson and Ross McCrorie on the horizon. So there's at least 6 or 7 players ahead of Bannan right now, and plenty of other on a par with him waiting for an opportunity.
To get back in the international side, Bannan really needs to be back in the EPL and playing well every week (because that's what the people he's up against are doing).

As for who from the Scotland side would we have in our team ahead of the players we currently have.. well, it's a troll question, for sure. But the answer is basically everyone except perhaps the keeper. In particular, James Forrest and Ryan Fraser are the kind of pacey wide men we've all been desperate to see for years and years.

10 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

They've got Robertson and Tierney so it would be hard for him to get Infront of them

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I would have said impossible personally. Probably the two best left backs in Britian right now.

They are left backs though.  Can't see Liam playing there for Scotland although he has done well for us last couple of games.

17 hours ago, cookeh said:

Palmer's probably 3rd choice by my reckoning. Callum Paterson and Stephen O'Donnell have both been in recent squads, have done well and are decent players. Paterson does tend to play attacking mid more these days tho, so that may open a door for Palmer in the relatively near future.

As for Bannan.. With 27 caps, he's had a lot of chances for Scotland and never quite produced. His passing seems to always be a lot more warward in the dark blue than in blue and white. It might be a temperament thing. Bannan should be a lot better at finishing than he is. He should just pass it into the net, but he gets a rush of blood and kicks it at the moon more often than not. The same is perhaps true when playing for Scotland. He's trying so much that things don't tend to come off. The result is that most of the Scotland fans probably don't think Bannan should be considered any longer.

Center mid is also very heavily contested for Scotland right now, so Bannan is left quite far down the list.
Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Scott McTominay (Man Utd) and Callum McGregor (Celtic) are likely to start the upcoming qualifiers, unless Ryan Christie (Celtic) get back fit in time.

In line behind them.. Snodgrass who's playing every week for West Ham, Paterson at Cardiff, plus Cairney and McDonald at Fulham. Then you get into the Championship, and there's Fleck at United and McGinn at Villa who are both doing very well as well. On top of that there's young players like Ewan Henderson, Lewis Ferguson and Ross McCrorie on the horizon. So there's at least 6 or 7 players ahead of Bannan right now, and plenty of other on a par with him waiting for an opportunity.
To get back in the international side, Bannan really needs to be back in the EPL and playing well every week (because that's what the people he's up against are doing).

As for who from the Scotland side would we have in our team ahead of the players we currently have.. well, it's a troll question, for sure. But the answer is basically everyone except perhaps the keeper. In particular, James Forrest and Ryan Fraser are the kind of pacey wide men we've all been desperate to see for years and years.

Spot on. Bannan is probably finished for Scotland and he has had his opportunities. He is a decent player but there are multiple better players ahead of him in the queue and he has never really done it in dark blue. On the young talent you mentioned waiting to come through, I’d have put Harry Cochrane ahead of Ewan Henderson in your list. Harry is younger, a better player, and further established in his career, and I don’t say that with a Hearts bias. Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen has looked the most exciting youngster to me.

Agreed on the everyone but the keeper comment too. Unless you maybe wanted to give Wednesday Steven Fletcher for the number 9 striker role in Griffiths absence lol

4 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Spot on. Bannan is probably finished for Scotland and he has had his opportunities. He is a decent player but there are multiple better players ahead of him in the queue and he has never really done it in dark blue. On the young talent you mentioned waiting to come through, I’d have put Harry Cochrane ahead of Ewan Henderson in your list. Harry is younger, a better player, and further established in his career, and I don’t say that with a Hearts bias. Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen has looked the most exciting youngster to me.

Agreed on the everyone but the keeper comment too. Unless you maybe wanted to give Wednesday Steven Fletcher for the number 9 striker role in Griffiths absence

Well, there's a fair few other midfield youngsters I didn't mention. Ethan Hamilton (20) of Man Utd has knocked in 3 goals in his 7 games since going on loan to Rochdale. Billy Gilmour (17) is probably a future star at Chelsea. Should both start getting some serious first team football in the next few years, albeit on loan. The future looks pretty bright in that dept tbh, so I tend to agree that Bannan has probably had his last cap.

As for Fletch.. he has his value. He's a good link player, he holds it up well and he causes trouble. But he doesn't score anywhere near enough for international level. Can look at Swansea, and McBurnie's knocked in 16 goals so far in the league, so he's got to be up there. Oli Burke's been reinvented as a striker at Celtic and while his all round play show's he's still learning, he's knocking in goals quite happily. While Jack Harper seems to have today secured a move to Getafe (4th in La Liga). They're all 21-22. So while Fletch maybe still has a role, with Griffiths out, he's certainly under pressure, and it's maybe just the form of Forrest and Fraser (who are potential game winners and will play off him) that will keep him in the 11.

Back to Palmer tho, I'd like to see him get a call for these two qualifiers. He's certainly good enough to play against San Marino! :D And with right back being a position where Scotland lacks depth, it makes sense to me for the management to get a look at players who could do a job there. If Palmer's current for continues to the end of the season, it seems ridiculous for him to continue to be overlooked. But then.. the manager is Alex McLeish.

7 hours ago, cookeh said:

Well, there's a fair few other midfield youngsters I didn't mention. Ethan Hamilton (20) of Man Utd has knocked in 3 goals in his 7 games since going on loan to Rochdale. Billy Gilmour (17) is probably a future star at Chelsea. Should both start getting some serious first team football in the next few years, albeit on loan. The future looks pretty bright in that dept tbh, so I tend to agree that Bannan has probably had his last cap.

As for Fletch.. he has his value. He's a good link player, he holds it up well and he causes trouble. But he doesn't score anywhere near enough for international level. Can look at Swansea, and McBurnie's knocked in 16 goals so far in the league, so he's got to be up there. Oli Burke's been reinvented as a striker at Celtic and while his all round play show's he's still learning, he's knocking in goals quite happily. While Jack Harper seems to have today secured a move to Getafe (4th in La Liga). They're all 21-22. So while Fletch maybe still has a role, with Griffiths out, he's certainly under pressure, and it's maybe just the form of Forrest and Fraser (who are potential game winners and will play off him) that will keep him in the 11.

Back to Palmer tho, I'd like to see him get a call for these two qualifiers. He's certainly good enough to play against San Marino! :D And with right back being a position where Scotland lacks depth, it makes sense to me for the management to get a look at players who could do a job there. If Palmer's current for continues to the end of the season, it seems ridiculous for him to continue to be overlooked. But then.. the manager is Alex McLeish.

On the striker front I’d even consider playing Calum up top instead of at right back which could help Palmer get his place in the side. Up front is another area where we are lacking and I agree that Fletcher doesn’t score enough. Calum is a huge aerial threat, he scores goals, and he did the striker role successfully for Hearts a number of times. It’s certianly an option if consider

On 04/03/2019 at 13:10, Etchesketch said:

Fair point but we'd beat Scotland.Not the strongest side. Sounds daft but go through their team and how many are better than what we've got. Robertson of Liverpool is one.

In cm alone, they've got Armstrong, Cairney, McDonald, Mcginn, McTominay,  Christie, McGregor, Jack, all are better than our options, hence why  Bannan doesn't get a look in

15 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Not sure how many right backs are judged on goals.

Perhaps not, but averaging 1 assist per season (and only 3 in the last 5 seasons) is barely enough (and not enough for me personally) to warrant a right back slot in a championship team, never mind to play internationally.