Frustrating Joao

46 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Seriously? I thought he was woeful today, his body language was awful. He's such a frustrating player, when in form he's fantastic and a real asset but the levels of inconsistency are why he hasn't pushed on from when we first signed him.

I am serious.

Not his best game by any stretch, but certainly not his worst.

He looked a lot more involved in play than in recent weeks, its that context I'm judging him on. 

I just took his been p*ssed off at coming off more down to whatever his reason was for signalling to come off 5 mins before. If he's picked up an injury of some sort then maybe he just 'knows' it's one of those that may keep him out for a while.

Unless I've done my sums wrong, this season in the Championship:

Fletch 7 goals from 29 

Joao 9 goals from 26

lol 

We wouldn't want Ronaldo at Wednesday, he's too petulant......and that Reach can't tackle, get him sold. Why not get somebody in who shouts a lot and waves his arms about? 

Get Peter Atherton and Graham Hyde back.  Wednesday, they love a trier.

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Players have a couple of bad games and according to people on they should never pull on a shirt again. Big babbies. 

Given how many players are out of contract we’ll probably need Joao next season. He’s a better bet than Rhodes and Winnall anyway. 

It's weird. 9 goals from 15 starts this season, but apparently he's just a passenger now.

Not his best game today, but I thought he was involved in some of our best moves, and it was good work from him in shielding the ball back to Aarons who set Reach up for our first. His body language doesn't help at times, but it's his 4th season with us now and we ought to know what to expect from him by now.

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

His hold up play was good but needs to show more effort still.

Everyone else showed it with tackling back, think that's why Bruce yanked him.

He's got genuine quality just frustrating as he needs to want it more. Wish he'd throw his head at crosses once in a while and he'd score more.

Do like him but he seemed to shirk the 50/50 battles today?

5 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Fletch 7 goals from 29 

Joao 9 goals from 26

lol 

We wouldn't want Ronaldo at Wednesday, he's too petulant......and that Reach can't tackle, get him sold. Why not get somebody in who shouts a lot and waves his arms about? 

Maybe he would have 18 with a little more effort?

He is just completely unreliable. 

He knows where the net is and has tremendous skill but he simply could not be bothered again. 

After the 74th time Hutch ran past Joao to press I was happy to see his number go up. 

People who said that the shape went to pot after he went off are right, but that was down to us switching to 3 at the back, Bruce obviously saw it as a chance to experiment a little (according to what he said post match)

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Talented bloke but needs a rocket up his backside.

His body language today at times was like a stroppy teenager.

I’m not sure that his body language would improve if he had a rocket inserted in his rear end. 

It would restrict his movement and be a constant irritation. Trust me, I know, I’ve tried it and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

( please.... no “ cracked up” jokes as I’ve had it up to here...I’m digging a hole here aren’t I)

• Haha 2

Guest The Horse

Think we would've been 4 or 5 up if Joao would have pressed and gambled more on the nicks we were winning.

It was like he was playing a different set of instructions to every one else.

Or his head was on another planet.

2 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Definately has some talent but what was that today. Work rate compared to Fletcher was poor and whilst he showed a few good touches he just didn’t seem bothered. 

Also what was going on with his substitution? He seemed to say to the bench he needed to come off, and looked to be struggling. He then gets subbed off and seems disgusted and throws a paddy. 

Strange all round. Frustratingly we lost our shape when he came off too.  

Work rate was poor?

Did you watch how we pressed and suffocated Swansea into submission? 

You cannot achieve that without everybody doing their jobs perfectly. If Joao doesn't do it, there's an easy get out. 

As a team, especially in the 1st half, we worked ridiculously hard today, and that was the reason Swansea looked dreadful. 

Last week, far enough, criticise Joao. He was awful. But seriously, after a 3-1 victory at home and one that was earned through the catalyst of hard work and an organised press...we start a thread criticising Joao work rate? Utterly ridiculous. 

Have a day off. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

Players have a couple of bad games and according to people on they should never pull on a shirt again. Big babbies. 

Given how many players are out of contract we’ll probably need Joao next season. He’s a better bet than Rhodes and Winnall anyway. 

Got to agree. His attitude didn't look great when he went off but we can't be sure that it wasn't down to his frustration at having to come off due to a knock. If he was frustrated purely because he got the hook then that is better surely than a player being content at picking up a wage with bothering about whether they play or not - we've had too many of those types.

His work rate is always going to look a bit off when at the side of Fletcher but he gets goals and contributes with good movement and causing defenders problems, yes he is still too frustrating in terms of decision making but he is a player worth having in the squad.

He may not have had his best game today but we looked a much better side when he was on the pitch compared to what we offered after he had gone off. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Fletch 7 goals from 29 

Joao 9 goals from 26

lol 

It's a bit harsh to judge the two purely on goals per game. Fletcher's all-round game offers so much more and in a good squad both players are good to have as options.