Fletcher

Fletcher works hard but has never been a top goal scorer

If you want to play him for his work rate then you need other players on the pitch to basically do the goal scoring. We don’t have this as our midfield don’t score.

Joking apart other strikers play better alongside Nuhiu than Fletcher because he does less aimless flicks and tries to get the ball down and play. Joao especially.

I’d like to see a striker with more pace but Fletcher did look decent for Scotland this season when he had runners like Forrest and Fraser to play off him. His hold up and link up play is very good.

Too often with us he’s having to feed off long balls with no runners going beyond him. 

He’s so overrated by some on here it’s incredible.

He just competes for the ball for 90 minutes. That’s it. Doesn’t score or even offer a goal threat. No pace. Very limited ability. 

For the wage he’s on and the pedigree he has, it’s quite remarkable how ineffective he is.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

58 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Blame the guy who has to run about chasing punts up field with no one within 30 yards of him, give me strength. We have no threat from midfield and no creativity, not a single striker could look good in our team. Was Joao even playing tonight, was he a midfielder or was he suppose to be up front with Fletch? 

We’ve played like that all season and Joao’s managed to score 9 goals. An average of 1 every 128 minutes. Fletcher’s got 5. 1 every 296.

10 hours ago, GerOwl said:

Blame the guy who has to run about chasing punts up field with no one within 30 yards of him

10 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

He is ineffective. The question is why ?

10 hours ago, nilsson said:

His hold up and link up play is very good. Too often with us he’s having to feed off long balls with no runners going beyond him. 

All correct. It's that nobody busts a gut to feed off of him. Absolutely infuriating to watch, and we've been like this for months. Can't understand it for the life of me.

Sure, Fletcher isn't that much of a goal threat for 90% of his time on the pitch. But he'd be up there with the leading assist stats in the division if only we had one or two constantly sitting five yards off him ready to pick up and run the second a flick-on or chest down comes their way.

Instead, our front two are always positioned like our centre halfs were in the depths of the Jos era - playing about 30 yards apart. It's maddening, the route to goal is right there and we never bloody use it.

Edited by Mr. Tom

He's a good footballer.

He is however not good in front of goal and I do think we play worse football when he is in the team.

For me Joao and Forestieri up top, we cant go long then and will have to play through the midfield. Which means Bannan and Reach need to step up and hopefully Aarons/Matias aswell.

Fletcher is on the downward curve, he works hard but if we can get him out would be a big plus.

11 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Fletcher works hard but has never been a top goal scorer

If you want to play him for his work rate then you need other players on the pitch to basically do the goal scoring. We don’t have this as our midfield don’t score.

Joking apart other strikers play better alongside Nuhiu than Fletcher because he does less aimless flicks and tries to get the ball down and play. Joao especially.

Nuhiu tries to get the ball down and play but Fletcher doesn't? Did I read that right?

Fletcher is 3x the footballer on the deck than Nuhiu is, just a shame his end product isn't there. Albeit, the lot behind him aren't helping. Hoping Aarons and FF in full flight will. 

Let’s be honest FF, Joao and Nuhiu all have excellent cameos but on the whole this season their performances when starting have been really poor.

By contrast, Fletcher has been consistently ok, good or outstanding. Take a look back at the MoM ratings we have all given Fletcher compared to these others  when they have started matches.

If Bruce wants a lone frontman it is obvious it’s Fletch. As and when he wants us to be more threatening he should play Fletcher and another proper striker, so I would say Joao given his goalscoring form. But yes they have to play as a pair and not be 20/30 yards apart.

Irrespective of what WE think, it is crystal clear that Bruce rates Fletcher higher than our other strikers. Fletch has started 11 of our last 12 games. All the others, for various reasons, are bit players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

All correct. It's that nobody busts a gut to feed off of him. Absolutely infuriating to watch, and we've been like this for months. Can't understand it for the life of me.

Sure, Fletcher isn't that much of a goal threat for 90% of his time on the pitch. But he'd be up there with the leading assist stats in the division if only we had one or two constantly sitting five yards off him ready to pick up and run the second a flick-on or chest down comes their way.

Instead, our front two are always positioned like our centre halfs were in the depths of the Jos era - playing about 30 yards apart. It's maddening, the route to goal is right there and we never bloody use it.

Exactly this

Fletcher is running on to his own flick ons the rest of the team are so far behind him

But lets drop him for Nuhiu lol and play Joao who looked like he was playing in roller skates last night! 

Edited by dani_armo
  • Haha 3

I totally get playing a defensive shield while we were within 10 points off relegation or against a top 3 team but now we are safe and playing poor teams im shocked how defensive we are setting up , too many players for us seem to be immune from been dropped , bannan needs a rest so does fletcher . involve the new players too at Rotherham or are we setting up another defensive wall? 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Let’s be honest FF, Joao and Nuhiu all have excellent cameos but on the whole this season their performances when starting have been really poor.

By contrast, Fletcher has been consistently ok, good or outstanding. Take a look back at the MoM ratings we have all given Fletcher compared to these others  when they have started matches.

If Bruce wants a lone frontman it is obvious it’s Fletch. As and when he wants us to be more threatening he should play Fletcher and another proper striker, so I would say Joao given his goalscoring form. But yes they have to play as a pair and not be 20/30 yards apart.

Irrespective of what WE think, it is crystal clear that Bruce rates Fletcher higher than our other strikers. Fletch has started 11 of our last 12 games. All the others, for various reasons, are bit players. 

No wonder we’re not scoring