Adam Reach

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t have an issue with his goals record, or the quality of some of those goals, but for someone with that much ability, he needs to influencing games far more

Influencing the game how? 

I think tbh you expect too much from him. He’s never going to take games by the scruff of the neck and put in Forestieri-like match winning performances.

He is what he is. I think a lot of his good work goes unnoticed. A fantastic team player who never leaves a runner and always makes himself available. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I think tbh you expect too much from him. He’s never going to take games by the scruff of the neck and put in Forestieri-like match winning performances.

He is what he is. I think a lot of his good work goes unnoticed. A fantastic team player who never leaves a runner and always makes himself available. 

He never leaves a runner, but he often ignores one. Is it really enough to just run alongside an opponent? If he isn’t a winger, then he needs to get on the ball more driving forward with the ball, and even making runs beyond the striker He should demand the ball more

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He never leaves a runner, but he often ignores one. Is it really enough to just run alongside an opponent? If he isn’t a winger, then he needs to get on the ball more driving forward with the ball, and even making runs beyond the striker He should demand the ball more

Looking at our current bunch, for me he’s the only one who does actually look to get on the ball and drive forward. Certainly the only midfielder we have who will run beyond the striker. 

Whether he’s the one we want on the ball or not, I’m not so sure. Technically he’s the not the most skilful or creative. Seems to look at his best when a game is stretched and he can carry the ball in space. His stamina is off the charts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Looking at our current bunch, for me he’s the only one who does actually look to get on the ball and drive forward. Certainly the only midfielder we have who will run beyond the striker. 

Whether he’s the one we want on the ball or not, I’m not so sure. Technically he’s the not the most skilful or creative. Seems to look at his best when a game is stretched and he can carry the ball in space. His stamina is off the charts.

Yes I agree re his stamina, he’s tireless up and down, but to little avail He may run back with a player, but rarely gets in a tackle, his lung busting forward runs usually result in him stopping, then laying the ball back. It may seem I’m being a tad harsh, but I don’t know what his most effective role is at the moment

I’ve been one of Reach’s biggest critics on here and TBH I’ve been in the minority and I except that. He’s been here nearly three years and he’s probably played in at least 95% of games during this time and we’re still discussing what his best position is and how effective a player he is. 

Some are saying he should be played predominantly down the left the left hand side and this maybe his best position but this is arguably Forrestieri’s best position and I wonder how long it will be before Bruce realises this? If he does then you either play Reach where he’s currently playing or in the centre, which I doubt he’s good enough to play?

In a nutshell trying to accommodate Reach in the side is causing a problem which I don’t think we’ll solve anytime soon given our current midfield options. Also is he really that good a player to be still struggling with this issue after all this time? Reach and arguably getting the best out of Bannan are two of Bruce’s biggest quandaries to solve?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

8 hours ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I must watch a different game. Reach is the only player who gives us width.

Also the only player who runs past our strikers and i believe is the player with the most assists but that won't stop some fans seeing that he's being played out of position. Maybe he should stand on our defenders toes all game playing backwards passes and the occasional floating pass straight to their defenders like all our other midfielders ffs.

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Exactly he's our only midfielder who shows for the ball with forward movement, all the others seem to be happy going sidewards and backwards including Bannan and Hutchinson who no one on here ever criticize for this negativity.

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Don’t think it works having him on the right side ALL match, I’m not sure why our wingers don’t swap sides occasionally. And unfortunately Reach isn’t providing enough in the shirt he is taking up. 

Im surprised Aarons didn’t replace him towards the end 

Exactly this, why we don’t put a left footed winger on the left side is a strange one. Hopefully that’s something else Bruce has learned as well as Bannan being a central midfielder 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’ve been one of Reach’s biggest critics on here and TBH I’ve been in the minority and I except that. He’s been here nearly three years and he’s probably played in at least 95% of games during this time and we’re still discussing what his best position is and how effective a player he is. 

Some are saying he should be played predominantly down the left the left hand side and this maybe his best position but this is arguably Forrestieri’s best position and I wonder how long it will be before Bruce realises this? If he does then you either play Reach where he’s currently playing or in the centre, which I doubt he’s good enough to play?

In a nutshell trying to accommodate Reach in the side is causing a problem which I don’t think we’ll solve anytime soon given our current midfield options. Also is he really that good a player to be still struggling with this issue after all this time? Reach and arguably getting the best out of Bannan are two of Bruce’s biggest quandaries to solve?

Reach is a Trooper, he does whatever his General tells him to do, even when he knows it's the wrong way to use him.  I like him on the left, to Hell with Forestieri, he had one good year and expects that to win for him his wages, for the next 10.  Against Reading, this past Saturday, all I saw him (Forestieri) do was pass the ball into OUR half, which is about the only time we played in our half... Forestieri or Reach?  Reach.

Forestieri's best position, is on a bus,  out of Wednesday, to Norwich City.

Sorry for the rant, but that's how I feel....not that it matters.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Criminal how one-footed he is. Rarely seems to trust his right at all. He's not the quickest, and when he checks back on his left EVERYTIME just slows him down ever further. 

I know you're not referring to shooting ability but he's definitely alot more capable with his weaker foot than most. 

I wouldn’t try to argue that his form hasn’t dipped a bit last 5-6 games, but I would argue that the level of expectation some of our fans place on Reach seems unfairly high compared to other players.

I don’t really like singling anyone out in general - 11-man losses or underwhelming draws are *very* seldom, if ever, down to any one man in reality - but it baffles me that Reach comes under such scrutiny again and again. He’s absolutely no less effective than Bannan/FF/Fletcher in most of our disappointing games, and nearly always directly involved whenever anything does go our way.

Absolutely carried us last season, and has been almost single-handedly responsible for our meagre handful of truly bright moments this campaign. Never stops busting a gut for us, never doesn’t look interested or motivated, despite very frequently being played out of position. Always tries to do precisely whatever bonkers job he’s been told to so that other players can play in their ‘most effective’ positions (frequently to little effect).

For me, if anyone’s earned the right over the past couple of seasons to be excused a few 6/10 showings of late, it’s Reach.

As others have said, put him on the left and stop expecting him to tackle back. Play to his natural strengths and he’s a player who will always win us more points than he’ll ever cost us. If we could say that about the entire matchday squad we wouldn’t be where we are currently.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Forming a decent partnership with Palmer on the right. Defensively way more solid and linking up quite well going forward.

I think Reach's form in the last 2 games has been an improvement on the previous 3 or 4.

No problem with the right side tonight. The clanger Bruce dropped was sacrificing our best midfielder and playing him out wide to accommodate our worst. Thankfully he spotted it  at half time.

Totally agree again! 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I wouldn’t try to argue that his form hasn’t dipped a bit last 5-6 games, but I would argue that the level of expectation some of our fans place on Reach seems unfairly high compared to other players.

I don’t really like singling anyone out in general - 11-man losses or underwhelming draws are *very* seldom, if ever, down to any one man in reality - but it baffles me that Reach comes under such scrutiny again and again. He’s absolutely no less effective than Bannan/FF/Fletcher in most of our disappointing games, and nearly always directly involved whenever anything does go our way.

Absolutely carried us last season, and has been almost single-handedly responsible for our meagre handful of truly bright moments this campaign. Never stops busting a gut for us, never doesn’t look interested or motivated, despite very frequently being played out of position. Always tries to do precisely whatever bonkers job he’s been told to so that other players can play in their ‘most effective’ positions (frequently to little effect).

For me, if anyone’s earned the right over the past couple of seasons to be excused a few 6/10 showings of late, it’s Reach.

As others have said, put him on the left and stop expecting him to tackle back. Play to his natural strengths and he’s a player who will always win us more points than he’ll ever cost us. If we could say that about the entire matchday squad we wouldn’t be where we are currently.

This 100%. Best post I've read on here for weeks.

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, sharrowowl said:

I know you're not referring to shooting ability but he's definitely alot more capable with his weaker foot than most. 

He doesn't show it. Apart from the odd shot when the need arises, seems to lack faith in his right. Even Wallace used to mix it up a bit, occasionally going the outside and hanging a cross with his right. 

I guess with Reach it’s partly his price tag. Certainly for £5m, I’d like to think I could find a player who’d influence the game a little more. However, if he’d come through our youth system, maybe I’d be pointing out his tireless running and the goals he gets from midfield. I’m torn with Reach, I can appreciate the things he does, but can’t help thinking he should be producing more Currently I’m with Galaa, and believe that fitting him in is causing as many problems, as it solves

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1