An attack minded manager.

52 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

Proven by Fulham last year, Leeds and hate to say it the blunts this year. None of them have stand out squads but starting at 100mph always has and always will scare the life out of the opposition. 

There’s attacking football, then there’s running out of steam to stay in the mix by the new year.

10 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Attacking is not the problem, the problem is the defense and the formation(s) we play

It’s a problem for me, I don’t want to spend 90 minutes watching us camped in our own penalty area

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

I read somewhere that a manager said we needed an attack minded manager to progress, I think it was Ian Holloway who said it. 

I agree 

We have quality attacking players. Make use of them. 

An attack minded manager would make best use of them instead of the dour defense heavy, deep dropping tactics of Jos. 

Quality has to be given the freedom to express. 

Oh and maybe a bit of entertainment from this expensive squad would justify the highest ticket prices in the division. 

We'd end up with the Danny Wilson 'its just like watching Brazil Barnsley team' of the 90's oh and Danny Wilson as well :duntmatter:

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Think that’s what a few of us have been saying for a while, long before Holloway Our strongest assets are in our creative/attacking players, so what does Jos do, set us up to defend The mind boggles at the ineptitude of the man

Agree. 

The only issue is now we're so low on confidence and struggling to impose our selves in any way, we probably need a scrapper to get us organised and working as a coherent unit first. 

At this stage I'd chalk this season off, get a Mick McCarthy type in until end of season to stabilise, then go at again in August with a fresh face with attacking ideas.

Whilst I’d love us to be more attacking at set up that way, the problem is we don’t have the players to do so.

Not necessarily the forwards, but behind that. We can’t keek the ball or bring it forward quickly. Our midfield doesn’t win a second ball so it’s hard to play more direct. We don’t press do can’t bresk on teams. The problem we have is how do we even get to the edge of the oppositions area. Our strikers and attacking midfielders often look dangerous running at a defence and facing goal. We just rarely get in those positions. Too often our forwards have their back to goal.

I agree that attacking football works in this league. We just lack the players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there such a thing as an attack minded manager ? Surely there's just good managers and bad managers . A good manager will look to win football matches by  making sure the defence is solid enough to allow his attack to do the business at the other end. A bad manager will chop and change his team constantly not have a clue what his best team or formation is and have zero personality.  Step forward Jos. 

change of formation to a 4-2-4 with two attacking wingers, back 4, two holding midfielders which means Bannan is on the bench, the two wingers in Reach and Matias (unless we have another right footed winger at the club) and a front two of Fessi and Fletcher.

We play Hutch and Pelupessy to break up the play and provide the ball out wide to Reach and Matias to provide the ammunition for the front two to score with Reach and Matias getting in on the act when the other has the ball.

We will concede goals but we will also score them and if we have the ball in our possession or the back of the other teams net that will help with the defending. 

Any chance of this or more chance winning the Euromillions this week.

Go on then make use of them

Matias and Forestieri are both fit for 1 week out of every month.

Hooper, Lee, Winnall, Abdi are nowhere to be seen.

Nuhiu has resumed normal service now he's not playing for a contract.

So you've got Joao and Fletcher.

It's easy saying words isn't it? But when you look at facts, your hands are tied together just like Luhukays 

24 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

It's easy saying words isn't it? But when you look at facts, your hands are tied together just like Luhukays 

True...but he makes a difficult job even harder for himself.

That list of players you provided is pretty telling.

It's become increasingly apparent over the last 12 or so months that this club is rotten to the core, from Chairman, to manager, to playing staff.

In the summer we need a complete rethink and reboot and I'd be quite happy to see all our "star" names (including Nando) moved on to pastures new.

Surely not a single player (maybe keeper exception), wants to go out and play football trying not to concede and spend 90 minutes sitting back.
They would all want to go out and score, even defenders I imagine? What would be more enjoyable, lose while hoping not to, or lose knowing you spent 90 minutes playing to win

Seems so so simple, defence minded should only ever come into play in cup games, and even then depends on the opponents.

21 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Go on then make use of them

Matias and Forestieri are both fit for 1 week out of every month.

Hooper, Lee, Winnall, Abdi are nowhere to be seen.

Nuhiu has resumed normal service now he's not playing for a contract.

So you've got Joao and Fletcher.

Easy saying words. 

Like these words: tactics dictate whether you are attacking or defensive. 

Brian Laws had no players compared to Jos, yet he was a positive, attack minded manager. He often won when he had no right to with awful teams. 

Of the players you mention, only Lee hooper and winnal have been out long term. 

Players like Abdi, Boyd and have been available. But all too often our available attacking players aren't in the team. 

The have been plenty of opportunities, plenty of firepower to have a  go at teams. 

• Like 1

Perhaps part of the problem is Jos is trying to get our players to play a brand of football they are unfamiliar/incapable of playing?

This is coupled with the fact that Jos doesn't know what his brand of football is.

:luhukay:

37 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Brian Laws had no players compared to Jos.

Jermaine Johnson alone played 231 games for us. Regarded as the best player outside the premier league for many years.

I would hazard a guess, Jos would swap 6 wednesday players for 1 Jermaine Johnson.

Also we had alot of players who for them....Sheffield Wednesday was their pinnacle. Absolute top of their career. Like Akpo Sodje etc....

We have to got too many players now, who have had it better elsewhere. They'll walk around like we should be blessed they are here. Hutchinson and Westwood are two of these. 

2 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Jermaine Johnson alone played 231 games for us. Regarded as the best player outside the premier league for many years.

I would hazard a guess, Jos would swap 6 wednesday players for 1 Jermaine Johnson.

Also we had alot of players who for them....Sheffield Wednesday was their pinnacle. Absolute top of their career. Like Akpo Sodje etc....

We have to got too many players now, who have had it better elsewhere. They'll walk around like we should be blessed they are here. Hutchinson and Westwood are two of these. 

JJ regarded the best player outside the premiership for years.... 

By who? 

Ridiculous to suggest he would walk I into our side. 

Our squad has superior players to JJ. 

• Thanks 1