An attack minded manager.

On 05/12/2018 at 10:22, Jesus said:

Carlos played attacking football in that first season and we were great. Then he bottled it in the playoff final and thereafter.

Attacking football works in this league

Does it?

In recent seasons I can think of Cardiff, Huddersfield, Burnley, Boro and Brighton who have all gone up not exactly playing the best football. Grinding out wins and being hard to beat.

This season clubs like Leeds, the Pigs and Derby are playing superb football. But I'd be interested to see if they can keep it up for the entire season. Playing with such high tempo and intensity for 46 games would be impressive.

It's not as easy as 'attacking football works', getting wins is what matters. In our second season under Carlos we were pretty dull and boring in truth, but managed to find wins and gained more points than we did the first season playing much better football.

All about finding a way to win. 

On 05/12/2018 at 10:13, Beholder said:

I read somewhere that a manager said we needed an attack minded manager to progress, I think it was Ian Holloway who said it. 

I agree 

We have quality attacking players. Make use of them. 

An attack minded manager would make best use of them instead of the dour defense heavy, deep dropping tactics of Jos. 

Quality has to be given the freedom to express. 

Oh and maybe a bit of entertainment from this expensive squad would justify the highest ticket prices in the division. 

Give it Holloway, that blackpool team he built on next to no resources was one of the most exciting championship teams I've ever seen

Think last season proved that either can work if you have the players suited to that system.

Wolves won the league playing attacking football.

Cardiff finished second playing organised but defensive football. 

We are stuck in a weird limbo. Trying to play defensive football but also have our defence try and create from the back. Have arguably the best passer in the league but play him too deep.

The first priority is not conceding goals. Teams are so well organised these days that if they get in front a combination of that organisation plus time wasting tactics make it very difficult if you concede first.

However you then have to decide the best way to play to reduce the chance of conceding. Somebody mentioned Wolves as an attacking team, obviously they were but I bet they conceded fewer goals than anybody last season.

With our recent squads, even under Carlos, we have struggled to get the right balance between attack and defence. We have been either ultra defensive or gung ho.

Under Carlos we used to be defensive then try and win it last 20 mins.

I have always felt this lack of balance is down to a lack of ball winners in midfield. Basically if we give it away trying to attack the opposition gets at our defence far too easily and we are exposed.

That is what needs fixing.

28 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The first priority is not conceding goals. Teams are so well organised these days that if they get in front a combination of that organisation plus time wasting tactics make it very difficult if you concede first.

However you then have to decide the best way to play to reduce the chance of conceding. Somebody mentioned Wolves as an attacking team, obviously they were but I bet they conceded fewer goals than anybody last season.

With our recent squads, even under Carlos, we have struggled to get the right balance between attack and defence. We have been either ultra defensive or gung ho.

Under Carlos we used to be defensive then try and win it last 20 mins.

I have always felt this lack of balance is down to a lack of ball winners in midfield. Basically if we give it away trying to attack the opposition gets at our defence far too easily and we are exposed.

That is what needs fixing.

I’m fairly certain we’d concede less goals if we took the game to the opposition If you sit back and invite the opposition on to you, without the threat of a counter attack, you will inevitably concede We don’t have the players to form a solid defence, so the further away from our goal we can keep the opposition, the better 

We do though, have players like Bannan, Reach, Matias, Forestieri and Joao, who would cause our opponents problems, if allowed

On 05/12/2018 at 10:26, gurujuan said:

Think that’s what a few of us have been saying for a while, long before Holloway Our strongest assets are in our creative/attacking players, so what does Jos do, set us up to defend The mind boggles at the ineptitude of the man

He is that type of manager - which is wrong for us.

If our defense was better and we had the players to play his system we’d probably be ok.

But its just not the case which is why persisitig with this is only going to lead one way.