That 'Penalty'

Unfortunately what happened with Duffy will always be given as a penalty in modern football (unless it's our players going done of course).

Basically football players don't generally play the game in an honest manner. They assess the situation and react accordingly. If Duffy had been directly in front of goal and about to score he wouldn't have left his trailing leg in position to allow Fox to make any contact as the best outcome to him would be to score he would have tried to avoid the contact. On Friday he wasn't in a good position to score so he slightly left his leg out waiting for contact and Fox had no way of avoiding it.

Football players train for these situations it is engrained in players to look for opportunities to win free kicks and penalties by whatever means possible. Players will pretend to be injured to exaggerate things try to get their opponents booked, try to waste time wherever possible if winning. 

How many times have you heard pundits say "he felt contact he has a right to go down" which sums up the fact it is just accepted as part of the game that players are expected to cheat and con the referee.

• Thanks 1

Not read the whole thread but didn't Forestieri go down in the box in similar circumstance his back leg was clipped as he slowed up. Can't remember who is was against now but was one of his last games before being injured. In that game commentators said he was looking for the contact so it wasn't one. 

Edited by tomassOwl84

5 minutes ago, tomassOwl84 said:

Not read the whole thread but didn't Forestieri go down in the box in similar circumstance his back leg was clipped as he slowed up. Can't remember who is was against now but was one of his last games before being injured. In that game commentators said he was looking for the contact so it wasn't one. 

Different rules for different players. Duffy cheated in my eyes, hopefully he will get the same treatment from refs as FF does from now on. I doubt it though. 

There were four incidents in the game where the Sky pundits suggested there might be a penalty appeal - this one, another where Fox supposedly held one of their players in the area, the one on Penney, and the one on Fletcher. 

- This one was a clear dive and a penalty was given. Dawson's superb save was poetic justice.

- Fox holding someone? They were both at it.

- Penney, not a penalty.

- Fletcher: this was the only one that should have been given. Fletcher moved away from the defender, defender grabbed him, Fletcher kept his hands to himself and ultimately put them in the air to appeal. 

Sorry I couldn't name any of the Blunts involved, there is only one (Clarke) who I could pick out in an identity parade. Don't care for them.

• Like 1

People in this thread saying "Fox clipped him" and other similarly worded statements suggesting that are absolutely wrong. 

Fox's leg moved AWAY from Duffy as he cut in front of him, then was planted in a stationary position when Duffy's leg moved towards Fox's leg. 

Duffy kicked out at Fox. Not the other way around. 

5 hours ago, thekimmyowl said:

It’s a penalty that’s given all day long, but should it be, he has cut across Fox and fox has tried to jump out of the way so contact is instigated by the striker so not a foul in reality but yes I’d be screaming for it roles reversed 

Yeah, agree with this. These get given a lot and I'd suggest more often to the home side than the away one. If roles were reversed, we'd be saying it was a pen.

No problem if the referee wants to award a penalty against Fox in this incident just as long that he awards one for Penny being fouled and another against Dem Blavdes after Fletcher had his shirt practically ripped off waiting for the corner to arrive. I don't doubt that the opposition would shout "penalty" on a few other occasions, too.

Upshot is, if that was a penalty against Fox, we ought to expect perhaps half a dozen more penalties in every game for similar actions.

5 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

People in this thread saying "Fox clipped him" and other similarly worded statements suggesting that are absolutely wrong. 

Fox's leg moved AWAY from Duffy as he cut in front of him, then was planted in a stationary position when Duffy's leg moved towards Fox's leg. 

Duffy kicked out at Fox. Not the other way around. 

Not one bit of that bears any relation to what actually happened 

The only accurate bit in your entire post is "Duffy" and "Fox" everything else is complete invention

36 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Not one bit of that bears any relation to what actually happened 

The only accurate bit in your entire post is "Duffy" and "Fox" everything else is complete invention

Give it up.

It was a dive, you are an aberration of a fan who merely spouts his own bile.

Accurate?  You would not know the meaning of the word "Accurate"

Oh, and Lawrie Madden was a fat slob of a player too towards the end, probably describes you to a tea.

3 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

Give it up.

It was a dive, you are an aberration of a fan who merely spouts his own bile.

Accurate?  You would not know the meaning of the word "Accurate"

Oh, and Lawrie Madden was a fat slob of a player too towards the end, probably describes you to a tea.

No need to get personal. We're all entitled to our opinions. 

On 11/11/2018 at 01:14, DJMortimer said:

That first sentence is snidey and almost certainly wrong anyway. 

The second doesn't seem to me to be a very scientific study. Mostly I imagine you're right but by no means should it be considered some sort of absolute law. The parameters would be different in every case.

For what it's worth, I think those suggesting Duffy initiated the contact and still could have stayed on his feet are right. Unfortunately, in the modern game and the cheats that play it, that gets a penalty most of the time. Even if VAR had been available, it would be extremely difficult to justify over-ruling the original decision.

Next time I’m down in Sheffield we can do a quick test. You run along and I will knock you trailing leg into your front leg. We can then see if you can stay on your feet.

My first sentence isn’t wrong. Anyone that plays football will know that if you are running and get your trailing leg clipped you can’t stay on your feet.

7 minutes ago, the_who said:

Next time I’m down in Sheffield we can do a quick test. You run along and I will knock you trailing leg into your front leg. We can then see if you can stay on your feet.

My first sentence isn’t wrong. Anyone that plays football will know that if you are running and get your trailing leg clipped you can’t stay on your feet.

Next time I’m down in Sheffield we can do a quick test. I'll run along and knock my trailing leg into your stationary front leg. We can then see how long it takes you to realise that it wasn't your fault.

He won the penalty.

FF should watch the video and learn how to go down properly in such circumstances and our defenders should watch so as to learn not to get caught out by it.

It has become an accepted part of the game and even though they aren't "proper penalties" they get given more often than not.

Shirtpulling is an actual offence but is now accepted in the same way but they are hardly ever given for what is a true offence.

Gamesmanship - we aren't very good at some bits although some of our timewasting on Friday was beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Striggy said:

The only movement I saw from Fox was of a natural running motion, no trip or clip.  Interesting that someone else mentioned Duffy's "trailing leg"

Fox's was a genuine reaction of both surprise and frustration.

He was pleading his case to both the ref and his fellow players whilst Duffy was smirking.

He got done. 

It wasn't a penalty but it was because it was given.

I'm glad in the end because it produced a beautiful moment yesterday for me.

IMG_6746.PNG