That 'Penalty'

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

If that was a penalty, then make the game totally NON contact.

Fox did every thing possible to NOT to touch him, it was just contact by accident, no way did Fox deliberately stick his leg out to stop Duffy, but hey! that's modern football.

^^^^^^^ This. It wasn't a penalty.

6 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

Always going to be a penalty in that scenario. Yes he looked for it but when defender is wrong side of attacker he has to avoid contact. Once there is contact penalty is the outcome.

Unless it’s Forestieri then it’s not a penalty.

56 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Doesn't have to deliberate 

Fox clipped him it was a pen

You may have a point, I don't have all of the current seasons laws of the game to hand, but if that's the law then the law is an ass.

There is one thing I'm certain of, that IF Fernando manages another twenty games for us this season and he gets clipped in the same way on twenty occasions, I know we are going to get zero penalties.

And on top of that there will be other more clear penalties not given because we'll get a reputation for diving, that's without considering yellow cards and bans he'll get.

I'm not going to have a go at the Trotter for trying it on though as it reminded me of a far better simulation attempt than Gordon Watson's dive against Leeds all those years ago.

The only thing I'm certain of is the ref has a considerable amount of power to influence the game based on his own opinion of how the teams are playing. For example if he was so impressed by Dem Trotters and he thought they should have been ahead, then he's able to call a pen, which in an even game wouldn't be awarded.

After all these years of watching football I've come to the conclusion referees are not just that, they are also judges of who the best attacking team is. Now that's not how it should be, but that's what I'm seeing.

Guest Jack the Hat

I watched it in the pub but couldn't hear what the Sky pundits said; although Michael Brown and Andy Hinchcliffe seemed to find it funny. Did they think it was a penalty?

This is how I saw it. Played for and got. 

Fox shouldn't have let him cut in front of him. 
Duffy was clever to do so. 
The ref shouldn't have been so easily conned, with it being so obvious that what he was going to do. 
But at that speed, it's easy to see how he was. 

Missing the penalty = justice!

That Penalty.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wednesday goggles? :laugh:

I'm not arguing.

Fox clipped his heel causing him to throw himself on the floor like an absolute melt. Thats penalty in modern football .

Thats modern football , forwards get any contact they then do a Tom Daley.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

If that was a penalty, then make the game totally NON contact.

Fox did every thing possible to NOT to touch him, it was just contact by accident, no way did Fox deliberately stick his leg out to stop Duffy, but hey! that's modern football.

It wasn't an accident.  Duffy's leg is in an unnatural position for someone running.  He knew there was someone behind and tried to induce contact.  Cheating, nothing less.  If Forestieri did the same thing, he'd get a yellow every time.   Ref's will have seen the video and got Duffy's number.  I'd be surprised if he ever gets the benefit of the doubt again.

See above illustrated post.

Edited by Sham67

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

It wasn't an accident.  Duffy's leg is in an unnatural position for someone running.  He knew there was someone behind and tried to induce contact.  Cheating, nothing less.  If Forestieri did the same thing, he'd get a yellow every time.   Ref's will have seen the video and got Duffy's number.  I'd be surprised if he ever gets the benefit of doubt again.

my feelings exactly. Except FF would probably have seen red. There is no way we would ever get a decision like that. In fact we just don't get penalties. We wouldn't have got the Norwich one last week either. Duffy would not have dived like that anywhere else on the pitch would he.  To give a penalty in any game, never mind a high profile one like this the ref has to be absolutley certain. he could not have been certain that was a foul so we have two cheats, no other word for it, Duffy and the ref.

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

my feelings exactly. Except FF would probably have seen red. There is no way we would ever get a decision like that. In fact we just don't get penalties. We wouldn't have got the Norwich one last week either. Duffy would not have dived like that anywhere else on the pitch would he.  To give a penalty in any game, never mind a high profile one like this the ref has to be absolutley certain. he could not have been certain that was a foul so we have two cheats, no other word for it, Duffy and the ref.

You have question the referee's competence when he failed to spot the foul on Penney.  

26 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

This is how I saw it. Played for and got. 

Fox shouldn't have let him cut in front of him. 
Duffy was clever to do so. 
The ref shouldn't have been so easily conned, with it being so obvious that what he was going to do. 
But at that speed, it's easy to see how he was. 

Missing the penalty = justice!

That Penalty.jpg

Give over, our radio expert will shoot you down quick smart !

Not a pen in a million years in truth.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Just because you disagree with him doesn't make it not true

Put it like this: A referee who had a good game also thought it was a penalty. 

All the pundits and commentators for Sky at the match yesterday thought it was a stonewall penalty... albeit it simultaneously a little soft

A not insignificant number of Wednesday fans have conceded it was a penalty

It was a penalty. Had that been Fernando Forestieri instead of Mark Duffy Owlstalk would be full of "he was very clever to win the penalty and force the contact", "it was soft but a penalty all day long". You know it would be. 

Maybe, just maybe... it was a penalty. 

No, being right makes it not true.

It was NOT a penalty, and anyone who says it is, clearly is someone (like you) who is simple as simple is.

Plus - HOW long will you be a "Student" for?  you've been on here for an age, are you a job dodger?

Edited by HarryPlopper
  • Haha 1

Piggy mate of mine when to see them training on the tip, said they had a lesson how to fall over. This was a bout a year ago. Noticed how it's always the same people? Noticed how it's only when they need to get a goal to get a result? I knew Diving Duffy or Billy Blunt would try it on,just like they always do, it was only a matter of time. They usually do it in the last 20 minutes