MAD MICK

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

The 'im here arent i?' answer reads to me as he's had a chat on the phone already.

If Nixon is to be believed the club know his interest so something maybe in the works.

Hopefully.

I think it will be a good appointment for where we are at the moment. We need organising and we need someone to sort us out with limited resources available. MM is that man. 

He’s done a very good job with limited resources at Ipswich. He will enjoy working with better players and he will also bring back other players who have been banished. 

I actually think it will be a ‘good fit’ for us. Sheffielders like a no nonesense type of player or manager who say things as it is.

I’m normally more attracted to a manager who plays good attacking and passing football but I think at this moment he would be the right choice.

Fwiw I said that we needed an English type manager when CC left. We needed a motivator, someone who was prepared to win ugly if that's what it took. With our squad Mick would have been perfect and still is.

That said I don't think he'll come due to the dictatorial (and poor) way DC runs the club. I think that's why we have Jos, because well known, experienced managers won't put up with our regime. DC needs to relinquish a bit of control and employ people to make decisions and go with them, even if he might not ultimately agree with them.

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Might not be what people want, but it’s what we need. Look at Ipswich after he left 

That could also be interpreted as : look at the state he left Ipswich in.

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I just want someone who knows the league, someone whose able to get the message across to the players loud and clear with no language barrier, post match interviews where we can understand what’s being said and not a load of jibberish whilst answering a completely different question 

I couldn't care less what the manager says in interviews. Most of that is meaningless platitudes and obligations anyway. The NFL has been dominated for the last 15 years by someone who is legendarily grumpy and uncommunicative.

5 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

In my opinion, Jos has lost the dressing room.

I absolutely loathe that cliche and the presumption that it inherently contains some kind of wisdom. But given that we were 6th a little over a fortnight ago, what has changed so drastically since then? And yes, I know we capitulated baldy in the last couple of games after going behind, but that can happen without the need for intrigue and conspiracy.

3 hours ago, ANDY said:

Bielsa at Leeds didn't know the championship, They seem to be doing ok

a manager can manage whatever the legue

I don't understand this obsession with being British and "knowing the Championship". Three of the top six are managed by foreigners and all seven clubs below us have a domestic boss.

Stayed behind Jos for as long as possible but the dropping of Hector and Fox, 2 of our better players from the last2 games, are very strange decisions. 

MM is the obvious choice, get it done 

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I couldn't care less what the manager says in interviews. Most of that is meaningless platitudes and obligations anyway. The NFL has been dominated for the last 15 years by someone who is legendarily grumpy and uncommunicative.

I absolutely loathe that cliche and the presumption that it inherently contains some kind of wisdom. But given that we were 6th a little over a fortnight ago, what has changed so drastically since then? And yes, I know we capitulated baldy in the last couple of games after going behind, but that can happen without the need for intrigue and conspiracy.

I don't understand this obsession with being British and "knowing the Championship". Three of the top six are managed by foreigners and all seven clubs below us have a domestic boss.

Calm down dear!

I think he has ‘lost the dressing room’. I tell you what, if I was Hector yesterday I’d want to know why the hell I was dropped after winning the player of the month award. If you was a Wednesday player right now and you’d played in around 8 or 9 different formations and more defensive backlines than you can shake a stick at what would you think? Then you have the issues of banishing 5 senior pro’s. I wonder what other senior pro’s think about it, I.e. Lees and Bannan?

I came on here after the Bristol city game and got negged for saying we aren’t a top 6 side. It was absolutely evident. We have been garbage most of this season and have been living off wonder goals from Adam Reach. We should be a mid table side but I fear we will be slip in a relegation battle under this manager who has no idea on his best system or team or style of play. Organisation and a plan is needed! This guy worries too much about the opposition.

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

On the first point. That can’t be the case as the owner had been asking him to tread water for years on a shoestring and he had them mid table and near the playoffs a couple of times.  He signed Waghorn for a pittance and the funds from that sale signed most of Hursts new team who went bottom.

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think he has ‘lost the dressing room’. I tell you what, if I was Hector yesterday I’d want to know why the hell I was dropped after winning the player of the month award. If you was a Wednesday player right now and you’d played in around 8 or 9 different formations and more defensive backlines than you can shake a stick at what would you think? Then you have the issues of banishing 5 senior pro’s. I wonder what other senior pro’s think about it, I.e. Lees and Bannan?

I think there is way too much emphasis on those kinds of things. Squad rotation is just the way things are these days at every level and everyone will always have their own opinions about how and why those choices are made. That's a different matter than some kind of rebellion though. 

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

I did find it odd that Hector was dropped. Can he only play in a back 3? The irony being, CC never dropped or swapped the same 12 or 13 players. JL swaps about 3 every game. Such is life.

Yep Carlos was annoying because he stuck to 442 despite the fact we didn’t have attacking wingers to play that system.

Jos is now changing the formation in almost every game which can’t bring much consistency.  Typical 

18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

If he’s not clear in a live tv interview what hope do you think he has in the dressing room? 

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I think there is way too much emphasis on those kinds of things. Squad rotation is just the way things are these days at every level and everyone will always have their own opinions about how and why those choices are made. That's a different matter than some kind of rebellion though. 

Agree with some level of squad rotation but I’m totally baffled in what we are looking to achieve. We don’t have a plan or a style of play. We are a total mish mash. I know what Leeds and the pigs are looking to do. Leeds play 4-1-4-1 with the emphasis on playing a high line and high press in probably the most energetic style I’ve seen in the championship. Pigs are a 3-4-1-2 team with their wing backs providing the width and their centre halves are all comfortable on the ball and they can bring the ball out of defence. They rely on Duffy to unlock their defences. 

Can someone please enlighten me what we are looking to do? This is not a question for DJMortimer but for anyone on owlstalk?! 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Look at ipswich before he left. Midtable mediocrity.

I've lived among Ipswich supporters during the Mcboring years and they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

All he would bring would be dour boring defensive football. 

It's a NO from me.

He was there ages essentially keeping them out of trouble, we don’t necessarily need him for that length of time. But I’m sure they loved no wins and bottom spot when he left

Edited by Bluesteel

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

If he’s not clear in a live tv interview what hope do you think he has in the dressing room? 

But they aren't the same thing. Interviews are usually about saying as little as possible.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the NFL (I know it's a different game but the principles of leadership are much the same) has been dominated for the last decade and a half by someone who makes Luhukay look like Dame Edna Everage.

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He was there ages essentially keeping them out of trouble, we don’t necessarily need him for that length of time. But I’m sure they loved no wins and bottom spot when he left

You can make your choice either way. It could just as easily be interpreted as him having a long time with large numbers of players and building a side that was slowly drifting towards the foot of the table.