Sports psychologist

Does anyone know if we have a sports psychologist. in German football the majority of teams employ a mind coach. Not seen any mention of this.

I know under previous manager we had a squad of individuals but never saw any mention of this role. I know some premier teams are now embracing the idea of sports psychologist. Sam Allardyce has been using them since his Bolton days and has credited them for a lot of good results. 

The British Olympic team use them extensively and the cycling team has been a forerunner of this and have moved us a nation to a dominant position in cycling.

We have had one or two promising juniors who have been injured and have not regained form on return. I thought such a person may help them. We also have a lot of individuals whose form has not lived up to expectations I have no idea if they would be of help in these situations.

I would lo know what others think of having sports psychologist.

We don’t need such frippery, instead we get Bully lift his kilt to any player needing a pick me up.

as for British cycling, we can easily replicate their methods by feeding the players enough stimulants and painkillers, with ‘ theraputic’ exemptions of course, so they barely know their names and rattle like a charity tin when they move. 

• Haha 6

We have Chris Kirkland talking about his Mental Health problems in one thread and then Mcmigo dismissing the possible need for a sports psychologist as ' frippery '. 

Just shows how much we need a better understanding of M H issues .

45 minutes ago, alan48 said:

We have Chris Kirkland talking about his Mental Health problems in one thread and then Mcmigo dismissing the possible need for a sports psychologist as ' frippery '. 

The two are very different.

Mental health issues need to be addressed via professional and medical support networks trained to deal with these issues.

a sports psychologist is a totally different job and skill set aimed at making an athlete perform better via coaching.

its as different as a school nurse treating head lice compared to a brain surgeon, and ridiculous to put the two together. 

• Like 1

Having worked in M H for many years I can assure you that good M H often has a bearing on performance , football or any other walk of life and obviously availability of a link to someone with a knowledge of social psychiatry and psychology has to be of benefit for everyone .

• Like 1

Swfc Sports Psychologist to Abdi. Relax, close your eyes. I want you to picture putting on some football boots. That's it, good. Tie the laces. Good. Now, picture moving one foot in front of the other. Ok. Great. Now, imagine there's a football to your right. Pick it up and examine it. Do you remember what it looks and feels like? Oh! Nurse, call the ambulance. Almen has just slipped a disc picking up an imaginary football. Bugger. Oh well, only two more weeks..........

Read a book by the guy who is viewed as one of the best in his field. The book is called the chimp paradox but can’t remember his name. It’s a fantastic book that explains how the brain works. You don’t need to have mental health issues or be a top sports person to appreciate what he’s about. In every day life understanding how your brain works can have massive benifitd

3 hours ago, alan48 said:

Mcmigo discussing anything to do with football or sport is frippery lol He makes Clueless look savvy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The team as a whole does not need a sports phycologist in my opinion. If any of our players suffer from serious mental health issues then they should be treated by a medical professional just as they would be with any other disease or sickness.

For me, the manager is the phycologist when it comes to the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

The team as a whole does not need a sports phycologist in my opinion. If any of our players suffer from serious mental health issues then they should be treated by a medical professional just as they would be with any other disease or sickness.

For me, the manager is the phycologist when it comes to the team.

Are you talking about sports psychology or mental health issues?

Can you imagine going to Wilder for some mental health advice lol 

• Haha 2