Credit where its due

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Doing a remarkable job.

Has had to transition from a broken, slow and perma injured squad to a side built on the youth team and 2 loan players.

We have loaned out our all time record signing,  sold our best full back, released our captain. We have had to bomb out our goalkeeper for reasons unknown, and have pretty much had none of the play off reaching midfielders available the whole time he has been here.

Despite all that we are in the top 6, having got results against some really strong sides.  

This is a squad and team to be proud of. The players have worked so hard in the games I have seen. The young lads are full of running, and the likes of reach, nuhiu, Fletcher  and bannan are grafting every game even when not on top of their form.

The rotation I think will stand us in good stead after Christmas so we don’t hit a fitness wall again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Like the team Jos is not the finished article yet

Like the team he is inconsistent both with team selection, tactics and substitutions. He is getting more right than wrong though.

I am sure he is frustrated with the inconsistency of performances, but perhaps he should realise that 3 or 4 changes per game, switching where players play etc is partially responsible for that.

And the point about defensively sound, Cameron has faced more shots than any other keeper in the Championship. We give up far too many decent chances and as the season progresses you cannot afford to do that

Yes have to agree with much of this. Performances are terrible but we are grinding out results. If only we could be like that nice mr warnocks Cardiff side that went up last year. All style and flair, and blowing teams apart with their sweet barcalonaesque passing game.

The team selections are I think a lot about preserving the squad over a long season. The situation at times last season was ridiculous, by rotating now and looking after the players we should benefit later. No point grinding the same team out week in week out then hitting a wall again.

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Not sure when it was that some Wednesday fans started expecting perfection. 

I hear you, few people behaving like Man Utd fans of late.

Can't understand it, team is in better shape than it has been for 20 years and most importantly it is sustainable. Young teams make mistakes and good managers sort them out quickly.

Feel I can really connect with this team and what the manager is doing now.

Jos is the man and eventually people will have no choice but to see that.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I don't blame Jos for the WBA debacle, there were 4 players out there who could have fouled or even tackled their lad. None of em did.

I agree in as much as no tackle or foul was committed to address the situation but I still don't think that particular attack would have been created for West Brom if Jos didn't make the changes he did, we were being over run in midfield from the moment he made the changes 

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The team selections are I think a lot about preserving the squad over a long season. The situation at times last season was ridiculous, by rotating now and looking after the players we should benefit later. No point grinding the same team out week in week out then hitting a wall again.

tbh that's how i see it, some of the selections especially dropping people after good performance are baffling  unless you see it as playing the long game.

He came here faced with a threadbare squad of sick notes and slackness, this must be his way of seeing out a long season

2 seasons ago if you'd said hooper and lee were all but finished, Westwood wouldn't play another game, we've been under an embargo, we've bought, wasted and loaned out Rhodes-  I'd snatch your hand of at 6th 

1 hour ago, Almat said:

I think the problem some of Jos's detractors have is not being able to get over him taking over from clueless....and some of the more ego-driven ones have backed themselves into a corner by predicting he'd fail here and now simply can't let their ego go in order to admit they were wrong. Bizarre.

Big time .. the expectation is still there that we should be major challenges for the play offs when to be quite frank, given the situation that Jos and the team find themselves in, the constant papering over cracks and bringing in youth to cover for experienced flops then we should be setting the bar lower but people aren't doing that ... not to mention getting behind players like Dawson when they see their idol Westwood isn't gonna play again for us ...

How long before we make em eat humble pie though? Coupld of lads in group wanted Mick McCarthy in after Brentford defeat .... different tune now

I questioned his decision to leave FF out yesterday but we got the 3 points so it was obviously the correct one.

I'll hold my hands up, I wasn't very impressed by his appointment and I had doubts if he was the right man in the summer, but he's done a brilliant job so far this season when you consider the circumstances he's working under.

I've become a big fan of his ruthlessness, especially since the Brentford loss when he sent out a message to our more senior players that he won't accept performances like that.

100% behind him now and if we get anywhere near the top 6 then he'll have done an unbelievable job.

Edited by Bassett's Allsorts

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just these bits, really...

:duntmatter:

Wow

You're rewriting history

Can’t fault the bloke! He’s getting results with what he has! His 3 signings have all been miles better than the vast majority of Carlos’ 30 and he has spent next to nothing! He has invested in youth and sees the bigger picture! Having come out of Villa, Leeds, WBA and Bristol C (who beat United) without losing and 8 points! What a fantastic return from a difficult spell

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Yes have to agree with much of this. Performances are terrible but we are grinding out results. If only we could be like that nice mr warnocks Cardiff side that went up last year. All style and flair, and blowing teams apart with their sweet barcalonaesque passing game.

Villa, West Brom, Millwall, Reading, Bristol  for example weren't dreadful.

The only dreadful performance was against Forest.

Edited by Belfast Owl 2

Guest Hillsborough Mole
5 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

The first half yesterday was abysmal

OK we're a bit inconsistent defencivly and look shakey at times, mainly due to a lack of experience in said area. That said though we're up in the playoffs now and still doing better than most of us expected, so maybe once we gain that cohesive unit and teamwork together, as we still look a little disjointed in periods a clean sheet or two will come and we'll learn to finish games off and close them out. In short there's still more to come from some players and improvement in certain areas, but credit where its due I think Jos is doing a very good if uninspiring for some job. 

2 hours ago, Owl999 said:

I'm certainly not one of those people, I wasn't afraid to say on here Carlos should go 12 months before he did, I think Jos is working wonders within the restraints he has and I don't just mean financially but I do think sometimes his tactics and team selections have let him and the players down,  he's the kind of coach I wanted discipline and fitness wise so I sincerely hope we can kick on .

I kind of agree with this. He came here with no idea of the mess we were in and is doing a good job under the circumstances.

Sometimes his tactics baffle me, and when they do I am critical. But when he does make positive moves like yesterday, Joao instead of Nuhiu - Forestieri for a Defender and bringing Pelupessy on to see out the game (which IMO is a role he will excel at) he does deserve the praise. Especially when he has such an injury crisis at the club again !!!!

13 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I thought we started off with poor performances but they are improving. Forest was poor, very poor. But West Brom was very good. Pelupessy clips Barnes heals and were all talking about how we pretty much outclassed the title favourites. Away from home yesterday he obviously wanted to be tight and to grow into the game. We started off very poor which wasn't acceptable and Jos stated this, but it worked after we had a bit of luck.

We wont be setting up at home v Middlesbrough with 6 defenders.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I thought we started off with poor performances but they are improving. Forest was poor, very poor. But West Brom was very good. Pelupessy clips Barnes heals and were all talking about how we pretty much outclassed the title favourites. Away from home yesterday he obviously wanted to be tight and to grow into the game. We started off very poor which wasn't acceptable and Jos stated this, but it worked after we had a bit of luck.

We wont be setting up at home v Middlesbrough with 6 defenders.

Exactly that

8 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

The first half yesterday was abysmal

Not quite. The first 35 mins was abysmal. Without it being clear to me why this was so - perhaps simply the galvanising effect of Reach's shot - we looked ok in the final ten. When they went off for HT there was a sense of a bullet dodged but actually some hope. And we then produced a very good second half.

But yes, it was poor, and we still have the tendency to be completely out of our stride for significant periods. I was delighted to hear Jos say how poor we were in the opening phase.