Credit where its due

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

After costing us the points with his shocking substitutions on Wednesday night - Jos without a shadow of doubt won us the points yesterday with his tactics and team selection.

I'm sure I wasnt the only one groaning when I saw how many defenders he'd selected yesterday - but after that awful first half we kicked on, and the fortunate early substitution of Fletcher paid dividends as Joao (despite strolling round like he was on his holidays for the first half) did exactly what was necessary in the second.

The run of results since that awful Brentford game has been excellent, despite the actual performances being quite awful. Its a great feeling to play like we have and still be sat in the play offs. Its not really a great division this year and that must give us hope.

I am still not sure that Penney playing where he did helped him or the team when FF was sat on the bench. No fault of the lad.

The first 25 minutes were terrible really. It took us 15 minutes to even muster an attack. We also gave up 3 or 4 good chances.

Ok we won in the end so that will be forgotten but other teams - I am thinking our neighbours - will not be as charitable.

To get promotion we will need to start games better and indeed close out games better when ahead. 

Our only consistency is our inconsistency. Not just match by match but each quarter of games

Jos may not be ideal in the eyes of some, but he’s picking up points. 

Would be nice to see those that blamed him for the West Brom draw come on and praise him after yesterday’s win. 

Not sure when it was that some Wednesday fans started expecting perfection. 

Jos has been glueing pieces of broken glass back together since he got here, and look at us now, doing nicely. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole
34 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The definition of damning with faint praise.

Oh I'm sorry.

Which bit wasn't factual?

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

. Its a great feeling to play like we have and still be sat in the play offs. Its not really a great division this year and that must give us hope.

44 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Our only consistency is our inconsistency. Not just match by match but each quarter of games

18 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Jos has been glueing pieces of broken glass back together since he got here, and look at us now, doing nicely. 

agree with all this

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Would be nice to see those that blamed him for the West Brom draw come on and praise him after yesterday’s win. 

It would also be nice to see those who blamed him for the West Brom draw acknowledging that his tactics and team selection contributed to us having a two goal lead against one of the division's strongest sides in the first place, and if it weren't for a gaggle of experienced players backing off for half the length of a football pitch instead of making a challenge, we'd probably have hung on for all three points. It's hard to legislate for defending like that.

I'm not sure I agree with the OP's assertion that our performances have been 'quite awful' either: other than the Forest game, we've looked like a well-organised and difficult team to beat, whilst also carrying a threat upfront against every team, including some of the division's stronger sides. We may not be the finished article, but awful teams don't accumulate the points we have from this tricky run of fixtures.

After costing us the points with his shocking substitutions on Wednesday night - Jos without a shadow of doubt won us the points yesterday with his tactics and team selection.

I'm sure I wasnt the only one groaning when I saw how many defenders he'd selected yesterday - but after that awful first half we kicked on, and the fortunate early substitution of Fletcher paid dividends as Joao (despite strolling round like he was on his holidays for the first half) did exactly what was necessary in the second.

The run of results since that awful Brentford game has been excellent, despite the actual performances being quite awful. Its a great feeling to play like we have and still be sat in the play offs. Its not really a great division this year and that must give us hope.

You do realise Jos is quiet happy to set out a team to frustrate the opposition and then allow the team to attack when the time is right, i.e. on the counter attack and more extensively in the second half?

I don't fully agree with sitting off teams at Hillsborough, but from what I saw in the first half on iFollow yesterday I was happy with how Jos setup the team.

Bristol were nullified and we played on the counter attack, getting more into the game as it wore on. Television has changed the dynamics of football to a certain extent, but traditionally the away team has no obligation to entertain the majority of the (home) fans in the stadium, they are there too frustrate.

Enjoy the season, there will be more performances and results like these.

Well played, Ten out of Ten Jos.

:luhukay:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Oh I'm sorry.

Which bit wasn't factual?

Just these bits, really...

costing us the points with his shocking substitutions

awful first half

fortunate early substitution

despite strolling round like he was on his holidays for the first half

despite the actual performances being quite awful

:duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It would also be nice to see those who blamed him for the West Brom draw acknowledging that his tactics and team selection contributed to us having a two goal lead against one of the division's strongest sides in the first place, and if it weren't for a gaggle of experienced players backing off for half the length of a football pitch instead of making a challenge, we'd probably have hung on for all three points. It's hard to legislate for defending like that.

I'm not sure I agree with the OP's assertion that our performances have been 'quite awful' either: other than the Forest game, we've looked like a well-organised and difficult team to beat, whilst also carrying a threat upfront against every team, including some of the division's stronger sides. We may not be the finished article, but awful teams don't accumulate the points we have from this tricky run of fixtures.

You’re right. 

West Brom have an experienced squad - we did fantastic to even be 2-0 up, a major positive. 

Our football is far from poor, we’re one of those solid-ish Championship teams that can look good in certain moments, look basic in others, look a bit dodgy in others etc.

We must be doing something right anyway.   

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think a lot of people ignore the fact that Barnes for West Brom looks like a bloody good player. Watch the goal again and you'll see he's completely in control of the situation, anyway, we've moved on.

I think the problem some of Jos's detractors have is not being able to get over him taking over from clueless....and some of the more ego-driven ones have backed themselves into a corner by predicting he'd fail here and now simply can't let their ego go in order to admit they were wrong. Bizarre.

Edited by Almat

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes the team selection against West Brom got us in the position of  a 2-0 lead which I'd full credit to Jos, he then tactically messed it up, I'm sorry but I can't agree that his team selection for Bristol would have done the same thing, when he made the substitutions that made us the better side it was pretty much the players and formation we had set up got WBA with .

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I think a lot of people ignore the fact that Barnes for West Brom looks like a bloody good player. Watch the goal again and you'll see he's completely in control of the situation, anyway, we've moved on.

True, it's not the kind of run you see every day, and he deserves a lot of credit for it.

I just wish one of our lot had fouled him!

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Jesus some people can’t just be happy. We are in the playoffs and having a good start to a season we all thought was going to be terrible. I like Jos’s tactics and the way we play. Games have been entertaining and we’ve shown character. You want perfect football? Championship is not the place for it. Just grind out results. 

1 minute ago, Almat said:

I think the problem some of Jos's detractors have is not being able to get over him taking over from clueless....

I'm certainly not one of those people, I wasn't afraid to say on here Carlos should go 12 months before he did, I think Jos is working wonders within the restraints he has and I don't just mean financially but I do think sometimes his tactics and team selections have let him and the players down,  he's the kind of coach I wanted discipline and fitness wise so I sincerely hope we can kick on .

2 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Jesus some people can’t just be happy. We are in the playoffs and having a good start to a season we all thought was going to be terrible. I like Jos’s tactics and the way we play. Games have been entertaining and we’ve shown character. You want perfect football? Championship is not the place for it. Just grind out results. 

Not all of us did :luhukay:

I don't blame Jos for the WBA debacle, there were 4 players out there who could have fouled or even tackled their lad. None of em did. Jos isn't to blame for that unless he's totally responsible for us being 2 up as well. Can't have it both ways. The players are to blame and praise for both. 

We did well yesterday. Ground out a win at a place where we haven't won for 7 visits. Regardless of how bad we looked in the first half we got a win. They didn't score as many as us. Thats football and all that matters to me. 

• Like 1

I thought Penney might be ideal further forward. But perhaps it’s one to work on.

Its indicative of this league that if you ride your luck and don’t get punished when you’re playing poorly for 20-30 mins then you can still win. It’s happened to us plenty of times. Had the feeling if we made it to half time Jos would sort a few things...which he did.

Its hard to pin down our style. Effective/pragmatic perhaps. After watching a game I don’t come away thinking “we look a really good side” but we’ve got the job done all the same. Whereas under the previous manager, passing the ball in triangles and out of tight spots did make us look a good side...albeit predictable. I’d bet we’ve probably got more points at this point of the season now than we did under the previous manager (or there or thereabouts)