Is the transfer embargo back on?

7 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the clubs been totally mismanaged there can be no doubt about that …...we developed two young players who could have fetched in good money  one for  nowt and another  for a pittance and theres every chance that penney will be going  the same way …... the contracts we give to aging players make it nigh on impossible to shift them out …I think disgraceful isn't far of the mark .

Like giving Hutch a 4 year deal with his injury record. Beyond me that someone could see that made sense.

55 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Would imagine the stumbling block with Penney maybe the wages.

Him and his agent may feel his recent performances warrant him being in the 15-20 grand bracket wages wise. But do we and can we afford to offer him that contact at the moment considering he is probably only on about 2 or 3 grand at the moment if that.

if he asks for that he will either end up at hearts or that 2nd div club in Belgium were hirst has only 1 goal and his team are rock bottom in front of 3000 crowds ,stop listening to the greedy poopydoo agents and get it signed penney . 

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Is that it for now, no more business allowed? 

Does our situation rely on us bringing in a big fee in January, and then the EFL will look at our situation again before we can conduct any more business

I'm sure, with the transfer embargo lifted, that we're allowed to do business in the transfer market. The paradox is that we can't really afford to.

My reading of the situation is the same as yours; the lifting of the embargo was conditional on us cutting our losses. That will surely mean a big clear out next summer, but may also mean selling players who command a half decent transfer fee in January.

Whether that will be sufficient to avoid a points deduction remains to be seen; hopefully the authorities will give us some credit for taking the issue seriously and moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

Guest Maxine
9 minutes ago, torres said:

Yep,  30k a week to sit on his backside for 60% of the season is the ideal strategy 

He's nearly fit. 

13 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Most natural goalscorer at the club when fit.

he certainly is ….its the when fit that's the problem …….for him to get a new deal he needs to be back sharpish get into the team stay fit  and score a lot of goals .he's only got 8 months to do all that which is a big ask for someone who's not coming back anytime soon . 

Just now, torryowl said:

he certainly is ….its the when fit that's the problem …….for him to get a new deal he needs to be back sharpish get into the team stay fit  and score a lot of goals .he's only got 8 months to do all that which is a big ask for someone who's not coming back anytime soon . 

In Spongebob Squarepants style...........

20 goals later...........

lol

18 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the clubs been totally mismanaged there can be no doubt about that …...we developed two young players who could have fetched in good money  one for  nowt and another  for a pittance and theres every chance that penney will be going  the same way …... the contracts we give to aging players make it nigh on impossible to shift them out …I think disgraceful isn't far of the mark .

Torry,  I was replying to Dewsbury (in my kackhanded way) who thought it would be a disgrace to sell one of our best players.

My point is that selling players at a profit is in no way a disgrace when done to improve the squad.

The lack of outward transfer activity at the right time means we have P & S difficulty that now means we have to sell to prevent a further embargo. 

I fully agree greed with you though that the ‘hoarding’of aging players on big wages but no onward value is mismanagement.

I would call it naivety by the owner more than anything because he does seem guided by the best motives.

If a new embargo is applied it will be after accounts are lodged in March. Last year one was applied in April after accounts submitted in March.

The figures banded about what we have to save are pie in sky It depends on income we get from gate receipts and TV as well as sales of players. Clearly income went down last year as we finished lower in league and did not get to play offs and guessing season ticket income was less. Therefore you can guess accounts in March may be worse than previous season. 

However the Profit and Sustainability rules require a club to show they are on track to get to a sustainable position before sanctions lifted. We must have done this and presumably the EFL must have some future indication of income outgoings to do this. Hence unless we behave in a rash way between now and March I can not see us being in serious trouble. We have probably agreed to curtail expenditure to a certain level and this will no doubt mean getting rid of numerous players who are at end of contract. Penney when negotiations were taking place was probably not a name they thought was a key one to retain but we all know that situation has changed and no doubt will require shuffling the deck about which players will be released.

If it is a genuine Profit and Sustainability approach there has to be a plan as to how club will go forward and it has to be one which keeps club functioning. The podcasts which were trumpeted on here earlier in year just looked at profit aspect and forgot about sustainability, What they were suggesting would damage sustainability of club and remember EFL wants to keep clubs going and game viable. They are trying to put forward a sensible approach and in some ways our club will benefit from this as we are no longer following a foolish transfer policy and even without immediate promotion you can see club getting onto even keel in next 2-3 years with manager like JL at helm.

I believe DC thinks situation is dire because we will lose a lot of experienced players and he probably thought some of them were key to future of club as no doubt amongst highest earners. Agency/Advisors also probably thought it was terrible as their income would be severely clipped as no longer buying expensive end of life products at their suggestion.

Someone I know used the phrase believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see, think this definitely applies to football club finances.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Torry,  I was replying to Dewsbury (in my kackhanded way) who thought it would be a disgrace to sell one of our best players.

My point is that selling players at a profit is in no way a disgrace when done to improve the squad.

The lack of outward transfer activity at the right time means we have P & S difficulty that now means we have to sell to prevent a further embargo. 

I fully agree greed with you though that the ‘hoarding’of aging players on big wages but no onward value is mismanagement.

I would call it naivety by the owner more than anything because he does seem guided by the best motives.

I think he's been guided by people who don't have the best interests of the club at heart …..hopefully he's beginning to realise this but he's got a way to go yet to convince me .

There's a lot of idle speculation.

We have to sell the entire team in January and so on. If things were that bad, then I doubt the original embargo is lifted tbh.

Not so long ago, the very notion of us getting the embargo lifted was dismissed and yet it happened. 

The whole profit and sustainability thing seems to be very ad hoc with lots of speculation and scaremongering. Weren't Birmingham in line for a 12 point deduction a few weeks back? That's gone awfully quiet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Not a disgrace at all.

Well run clubs use their playing assets wisely.

That means developing players and selling on at a profit to improve the squad.

Lack of activity in this area has led to the current P & S problems.

We aren’t exactly a selling club are we , we have a bob or 2 or had , it’s how we have used it that’s the disgrace . So you see selling Fessi , Reach or Bannon as improving our squad ? 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Him and his agent may feel his recent performances warrant him being in the 15-20 grand bracket wages wise. But do we and can we afford to offer him that contact at the moment considering he is probably only on about 2 or 3 grand at the moment if that.

£20k per week, that's £1m per year just about for 20 year old Championship defender who has played a handful of games.

I know players wages are eye watering these days but surely not by that much.

I would estimate £5k per week his new contract will be for if we offered him one.

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Him and his agent can think want they want

He's played 3 decent games!!! 20k a week - not a chance!!!!

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

would estimate £5k per week his new contract will be for if we offered him one. 

What would you say his value is, if transfered?

I would guess there a more than a few clubs would offer him 6k per week. A no brainer, a good young prospect for next to nowt in the mad mad football world

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

if he asks for that he will either end up at hearts or that 2nd div club in Belgium were hirst has only 1 goal and his team are rock bottom in front of 3000 crowds ,stop listening to the greedy poopydoo agents and get it signed penney . 

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

£20k per week, that's £1m per year just about for 20 year old Championship defender who has played a handful of games.

I know players wages are eye watering these days but surely not by that much.

I would estimate £5k per week his new contract will be for if we offered him one.

3 minutes ago, torres said:

Him and his agent can think want they want

He's played 3 decent games!!! 20k a week - not a chance!!!!

Suppose he would argue he has been one of ours best players this season and deserves a pay rise to match.

Fully expect about a 500% pay rise for him whatever. which would probably put him on about 10 grand ish.

But don't be surprised to see agents of other clubs saying look don't sign a contact and we will double whatever Wednesday are offering you in the summer.

What you also have to take into account in that he has looked like one of the best left backs in this division going forward this season. head and shoulders above anything Clare or Hirst did for the first team.

Other clubs would have noticed this and if we don't pay this lad what his performances so far deserve someone else will.

Reality of the level the championship has now reached unfortunately.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Suppose he would argue he has been one of ours best players this season and deserves a pay rise to match.

Fully expect about a 500% pay rise for him whatever. which would probably put him on about 10 grand ish.

But don't be surprised to see agents of other clubs saying look don't sign a contact and we will double whatever Wednesday are offering you in the summer.

What you also have to take into account in that he has looked like one of the best left backs in this division going forward this season. head and shoulders above anything Clare or Hirst did for the first team.

Other clubs would have noticed this and if we don't pay this lad what his performances so far deserve someone else will.

Reality of the level the championship has now reached unfortunately.

Are you his agent???

Best left back in the league??

500% pay rise???

Give Over!!