Passing out from the back

2 minutes ago, uffs said:

Tonight was absolutely the night for playing out from the back. Done successfully we would have quickly taken 5 of their players out of the game. The difference was that Leeds midfielders and forwards bust a gut to receive the ball from their defenders and ours did fizz all. 

If you think we are good enough to play out from the back successfully against the top of the league side who are top at the moment largely due to their intensity of play and high press then I think you are wrong. The fact we aren't good enough to do that showed. No shame in admitting the game plan isn't working and changing it.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

If you think we are good enough to play out from the back successfully against the top of the league side who are top at the moment largely due to their intensity of play and high press then I think you are wrong. The fact we aren't good enough to do that showed. No shame in admitting the game plan isn't working and changing it.

Exactly

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair

Owlstalk Shop

Passing it out from the back is useless if the defender just lumps it up anyway. You might as well kick it long from the keeper and push more up to pick up the 2nd ball. 

The whole team in front of the defenders needs to move and not be so stationary for it to work.  There has to be some sort of link play forwards. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Where did I say I thought we're good enough to do it tonight? It was the right tactic just poorly executed due to midfielders and forwards hiding and not showing for the ball. Everyone slays the defenders and keeper though but you need to see the bigger picture.

Watch it back and look at the times we went long and tell me that was a better tactic....

Also watch how Leeds played the same way and how they did it loads better.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

1 minute ago, uffs said:

Where did I say I thought we're good enough to do it tonight? It was the right tactic just poorly executed due to midfielders and forwards hiding and not showing for the ball. Everyone slays the defenders and keeper though but you need to see the bigger picture.

Watch it back and look at the times we went long and tell me that was a better tactic....

Also watch how Leeds played the same way and how they did it loads better.

If you can't execute it because the players aren't of the ability to do it consistently against a very good press then it is not the right tactic. Leeds have been very successful playing that way this season because the have the energy, mobility and pace in attack to show for the ball with movement. We only had Forestieir like that tonight whereas they had two of 3 and are used to playing that way. They are clearly aware of Lees lack of ability in passing out and made sure he was the one Dawson was able to give it to then pressed him. 

They were all over it second half especially and under instruction after being made to look like mugs a good few times in the first half.

The combination of their press, some weak refereeing and their combined (team/fans) momentum versus our nervousness tipped it their way.

Tonight was a game crying out for Hooper or anyone to just show a bit of guile, leadership, calmness and nous.

When the ref shows his hand early with regards to what is acceptable on the scale of falling over then it is a waste of time trying for fouls that won't ever be given.

The risky crossfield passes are great when the man intercepting has to worry about someone making the run around the back of him.

Taking on two extra men more than is required is fine when you release the ball to the runner and take advantage.

We play some brilliant stuff when we click and have our tails up in a game but we need to learn to keep it a bit more simple and direct when countering under pressure to make them worry and push them back a bit.

We are a work in progress but we are still missing a general or just someone to calm things down a bit with something different.

We still have a tendency to flap but we have moved away from capitulation.  The players know this but the fans need to believe it too.  It's a collective mental thing that we all can play a part in to some  degree.  It will grow and get better but we have to move away from expecting the worst to believing in a decent outcome and staying with it for the full 90 minutes.

It did us no favours tonight. We just weren't good enough at executing it. Their high press was effective and we were ponderous  and mainly inaccurate with the passing and there was precious little movement  either. We should have played more direct (especially in the second half)  Truth be told they were better than us and we were fortunate to get a point, Still hope they fall apart mind, I hate Leeds Scum

I was one of those scaredy cat fans whining at our constant passing out from the back.

BECAUSE IT WASN'T WORKING FROM MINUTE ONE!

the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and Expecting a different result.

Edited by upperwinngardensowl
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

I was one of those scaredy cat fans whining at our constant passing out from the back.

BECAUSE IT WASN'T WORKING FROM MINUTE ONE!

the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and Expecting a different result.

Like deciding something isn't working after the first minute of 90 and not giving it any opportunity to work or acknowledging any points in the game when it does work?

The best thing to do is use your energy positively  to fight your scaredy cat, whining demons instead of negatively in finding ways and others to  blame in an effort to justify them.

Some reyt primitive types in this thread..We hoofed it plenty in the second half for my liking. We’ve got some top quality players. Let’s try and play football ffs. 

Leeds are doing it with the same group of players they had last year. None of them are world beaters