Jordan Rhodes

22 minutes ago, Stoop said:

That’s 5 for the season

On course for 20

:CEO:

13 minutes ago, Blatter said:

2 in the Championship

I hope he rips the Championship a new one this season. The more he scores the better.

We can either have him back or sell him for good money. We can't lose if he finds his scoring boots. All of our fans should be cheering him on.

Guest 103SecondsOfMagic
35 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I really don't get the abuse he cops for, he is a class striker at this level, he came from a struggling Boro side when low on confidence and was made to change his game by our (then) joke of a manager, granted it didn't work out for him here but for the love of god get off his case.

He was, once

48 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Need not playing in the championship though is he? 

Seems like its panning out much the same as last season for us. 

Only getting starts in the cup. 

And only really scoring in the cup, I remember his brace he got against Bolton last season during a stellar 3-2 defeat...

He’s an instinctive old-school striker and he’ll score goals if you play that way. The fact he’s an incredibly rare breed of modern footballer in that he’s a genuinely lovely personality and utterly down to earth is a bonus but it clouds the issue; he wasn’t much cop for us ‘cos we didn’t play that way. He did, however, work his absolute nuts off to try to make it work, and for that he gets full marks from me. He wanted to score for Wednesday more than he wanted to for pretty much anyone else, and that’s got to be worth summat even for the coldest statistician amongst us.

As others have said, we should all be cheering him on - if he smashes 20+ this season we either get a striker in form back, or we get a decent fee for a 30-year-old who wanted to be here but it didn’t work out at a time when frankly naff-all was really working out.

Good on you JR and best of luck, I wish more footballers were like you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Although I fully agree he’s a lovely hard working guy, I’m still to be convinced he’s a top striker in a very competitive Championship. His big scoring time was four years ago. Standards have improved.

Hope I’m wrong cos he could solve our ffp problem if he can once again become a 20 goals plus a season man .

7 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Although I fully agree he’s a lovely hard working guy, I’m still to be convinced he’s a top striker in a very competitive Championship. His big scoring time was four years ago. Standards have improved.

Hope I’m wrong cos he could solve our ffp problem if he can once again become a 20 goals plus a season man .

If pushed I’d probably argue ‘changed’ rather than ‘improved’, but I fully agree with the thrust of what you’re saying.

I don’t think defenders have got better at defending, per se - actually the opposite, if anything - but I think formations have become more conservative on the whole and based on playing out from the back, so defenders are no longer immobile stoppers but more like DMs. Players like JR, the classic ‘fox in the box’, now have a harder time because backlines are more likely to be reasonably mobile ballplayers than brick sh1thouses forming a physical barrier. Skills that JR has in abundance, like movement and positional savvy, don’t stretch as far against deep-lying outfield players and wingbacks.

Look at Hooper: a hugely important player for us once he settled, but he didn’t half have to change his game to achieve that. He learned to drop deeper and became incredibly effective as a midfield-to-attack link player for us, whereas he was always an out-and-out CF at previous clubs. Ended up making a massive difference for our overall attacking game but his annual goals average took a right beating.

JR might’ve done the same, he’s a clever enough player, but we already had Hooper, Nuhiu, FF, Joao AND Fletch all starting to do similar. Rather like Winnall, we just wanted JR to stop up top and somehow *do something* even though there was no ball in for that role.

The phrase ‘hiding to nothing’ springs to mind for me.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I really don't get the abuse he cops for, he is a class striker at this level, he came from a struggling Boro side when low on confidence and was made to change his game by our (then) joke of a manager, granted it didn't work out for him here but for the love of god get off his case.

I don't get this opinion re. Rhodes when all you ever ramble on about is the chairman wasting loads of money on past it players and their big wages.

He is arguably  THE biggest gamble, mistake and flop (all with hindsight of course) of DC's reign.

(I actually hope Rhodes regains his confidence and form by the way and am happy for him tonight).

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Just got a hat-trick for Norwich.

Granted it’s only against Wycombe but if it gives him some confidence going into the league that can’t be a bad thing, we all know he’s capable of scoring for fun in the Championship!! 

Could be the answer to our FFP problems.

I was hoping to never see this players name again on Owlstalk other than, 'sold for 5m' but I guess that's fantasy. 

He could score a hundred goals this season against whomever and I still would never want to see him in an Owls shirt as he contributes little and for me Fletch, Matias, FF, Joao,  Hooper are much better footballers with attributes which collectively and individually create different types of problems for opposition. 

Pace, power, movement, trickery, aerial, cunning, ball carrying. 

When Rhodes plays on the shoulder even my gran could catch up and she's been dead 16 years God bless. Not what we need but good luck to him elsewhere in terms of market value.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Dead