Leeds or Sheffield United

Having a bit of a discussion about which derby is the most heated.  I think the Steel City Derby is, without question, the most satisfying one to win.  However, there is just something about the Leeds derby that gives it a hostile, almost nasty feel.  

I've been to loads of Steel City Derbies both at Hillsborough and the Lane.  There are some muppets on both sides, but there is just something about the Leeds fans and our matches against them that is a bit different.  

Anyone get where I'm coming from, or is it just my own bad experiences?

The Sheffield United match is a proper derby - like Liverpool vs Everton, Rangers Celtic etc.

Leeds isn’t a derby - it’s a local rivalry, so the atmosphere will be different. 

Portsmouth and Southampton hate each other - but it’s still a rivalry and not a derby in the true sense. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

Guest addedtime
4 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Having a bit of a discussion about which derby is the most heated.  I think the Steel City Derby is, without question, the most satisfying one to win.  However, there is just something about the Leeds derby that gives it a hostile, almost nasty feel.  

I've been to loads of Steel City Derbies both at Hillsborough and the Lane.  There are some muppets on both sides, but there is just something about the Leeds fans and our matches against them that is a bit different.  

Anyone get where I'm coming from, or is it just my own bad experiences?

I know what you mean. There's rivalry and there's nastiness.

15 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

The Sheffield United match is a proper derby - like Liverpool vs Everton, Rangers Celtic etc.

Leeds isn’t a derby - it’s a local rivalry, so the atmosphere will be different. 

Portsmouth and Southampton hate each other - but it’s still a rivalry and not a derby in the true sense. 

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Leeds don’t have a Derby, just local rivals.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

21 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

The term "Derby" is derived from the horse race of the same name and means an important game......the word local was added over the years to give more detail i.e. It's an important game because of the geography of both teams

Over the years the "local"  has been dropped with most people taking "derby" to automatically mean a local one, however technically Man United v Liverpool is as much a Derby as Everton v Liverpool 

recent variations (all be it in a humorous manner) include such games as "claret and blue derbies" (villa v Burnley), Steve Bruce Derbies (Hull v Villa) etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

however technically Man United v Liverpool is as much a Derby as Everton v Liverpool 

I’m sorry, but by that logic, the Champions league final between Chelsea and Man Utd was a Derby

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

18 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's like asking if you prefer genital herpes or chlamydia.

Both dirty, classless scrubbers of clubs, and I enjoy beating them equally.

Well sort of taking up that theme, we could have a new variation on an old song;

At the Lane, At the Lane

They're a right bunch of chancres at the Lane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ian said:

The term "Derby" is derived from the horse race of the same name and means an important game......the word local was added over the years to give more detail i.e. It's an important game because of the geography of both teams

Over the years the "local"  has been dropped with most people taking "derby" to automatically mean a local one, however technically Man United v Liverpool is as much a Derby as Everton v Liverpool 

recent variations (all be it in a humorous manner) include such games as "claret and blue derbies" (villa v Burnley), Steve Bruce Derbies (Hull v Villa) etc

FFS ....how many clubs quantify a Derby !!!!!

Hope Paul Ince doesn't get wind of this? ..........

"Tom get over here Newcastle are interested " .....

** more clubs than Tiger **