Defence issues

Guest LittleG

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, have to defend as a team throughout and I thought it bizarre that Reach was instructed to play so advanced when we had an attacking 3 as well and he did nothing to stop Woods playing. Might work against teams that play for a point at Hillsborough but that was clearly not how Stoke lined up. Made for a very entertaining game but perhaps not the best tactics.

I could see the idea of it with Fletcher dragging people about and Reach exposing the space.  Just didn't come off for us. 

Equally I thought Joao was superb in his defensive work yesterday but he's best moments came when he was able to get inside and play off Fletch when we had possession. 

It's a work in progress isn't it. 

An excellent point over all.

• Like 2

Both cbs were poor for stokes goals, ball watching and outdone by decent movement.

No better time for hector to be given a chance and wouldnt rule out dropping lees for hutch if hes getting too comfortable either.

Midfield could be more solid moving reach deeper and bringing onomah in for joey but results are still better than when we were 5 at the back

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There was a stat a couple of weeks ago that Dawson had made the most saves in the division, we are wide open at times.

Would like to see a source for that. He's done OK overall, but most saves in the division seems unlikely. 

I think we are going to have to live with it. The centre back pairing of Lees and Thorniley is a good pairing, not particularly dominant in the air, though that wasn’t the issue yesterday. Palmer and Penney are the best full backs we’ve had for a while. 

Dawson probably hasn’t learned yet, to organise his defence, and with the experienced Lees, not a natural leader, we will sometimes struggle

• Like 1

i am surprised at Lees getting so much stick. Thornily completely lost Afobe for the first goal yesterday.

He is by far our best defender when the ball goes into the box.

As a team we are too open through the middle for reasons already highlighted on here.

We are playing most weeks against good quality players and we need to be a lot more disciplined and solid as a team.

Personally I would play Hector to see if it does make us stronger at the back but also we need to sort out the make up and personnel in the middle.

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

i am surprised at Lees getting so much stick. Thornily completely lost Afobe for the first goal yesterday.

He is by far our best defender when the ball goes into the box.

As a team we are too open through the middle for reasons already highlighted on here.

We are playing most weeks against good quality players and we need to be a lot more disciplined and solid as a team.

Personally I would play Hector to see if it does make us stronger at the back but also we need to sort out the make up and personnel in the middle.

Are people giving him stick? He’s a good defender, but not necessarily a leader. Yesterday, both central defenders were guilty of switching off, and giving the ball away. However, I wouldn’t say it’s the norm

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Are people giving him stick? He’s a good defender, but not necessarily a leader. Yesterday, both central defenders were guilty of switching off, and giving the ball away. However, I wouldn’t say it’s the norm

People are suggesting he should be dropped.

It may sound daft but we have not been closing down from front as well as we can. FF is very good at this and can win ball or hurry opposition up and make poor pass. Personally have been more concerned about form of person leading the line in they have had lots ofchances and only scored one so far.

Currently they have too much time on ball. Also we have not got everything right at once. When team get it together clean sheets will  happen. Yesterday Reach, Lees and Palmer had very average games and can all play better. To win games against good opposition you can not afford for 3 players to play below their best. It has been a variety of players who have been not quite at best its a different system and a different line up of players so you can expect this. This is seventh game and their is a resilience and determination about players which have not seen for a good while. 

We will improve and clean sheets are just round the corner and also think we will give someone a thumping.

3 of our five most defensive positions are fresh out the U23s - I’m not surprised we’ve shipped a few early doors. I think we’ll tighten up considerably as they continue to bed in. Not overly worried at this point at all. It’s a very new set of partnerships to establish and on that basis - and the basis of our league position after a poor first couple games - they’re doing pretty great.