Defence issues

Guest LittleG

34 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Oh I have.

First goal. Definitly switches off. Should be sweeping in around the side and staying with his man. 

Though it's a goal with faults all ends up.

Penney turned tight. Bannan not goal side of his man.

Palmer must do much better. But again...the actual goalscorer slips on Thornileys blind side with ease.

No one wants to dig the kids out. But if we dig Palmer out then we have to be fair.

Second goal.

I make the striker Lees' man. Palmer had picked up the late run of Allen, then when the ball pops back out the striker make a side step off Lees and then back in between Palmer and Lees'

Again. I think Bannan should be goal side of Ince who make the final pass if Penney has passed him on when he comes inside.

Palmer might have been more awake to the danger but I can see why he hadn't picked him up because a fraction of a second earlier he's the skippers man. Lees equally as culpable.

As it is...that man didn't score. That was Thornileys man, who he had marked tight and then let slip past him when he got caught watching the lad with the ball about to make the pass.

Split second decisons. But the little ball behind caused a lot of prpblems.

At least 5 players have switced off and all must take equal share of the issue. Even the kids and star men.

Totally agree that it's not sole culpability for Palmer, but it's the same match after match with him. Positionally he is all over the place and it affects the whole way we defend. If he doesn't loose his man, the centre backs don't have to come across to fill the hole and we end up a much more solid unit. 

MIssing a proper leader in the team .. a captain that inspires, organises and leads by example

You only have to look at Loovens, when fully fit, with whoever it was beside him led by example and the whole back 5 played well together (coupled with Westwoods experience and quality)

We haven't brought in a player of that ilk since losing to Hull in the final .. we are still missing that .. even more so with the likes of Loovens and Semedo leaving

It’s the best back four we’ve had in ages, 2 proper full backs and a left right pairing at centre back Yes we miss Loovens leadership skills, and we don’t have an obvious skipper Been encouraged recently, when I’ve seen young Thorniley taking charge of the situation In time, he might make a future skipper This back four will get better, but in the short term, getting the balance right in midfield, would probably help

Think we should try again, we have different players now, with the exception of Palmer it may work

Dawson

Hector, Lees, Thorniley

Palmer                            Penney

Onomah

Bannan                  Reach

Joao, Dave

22 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Think we should try again, we have different players now, with the exception of Palmer it may work

Dawson

Hector, Lees, Thorniley

Palmer                            Penney

Onomah

Bannan                  Reach

Joao, Dave

Palmer isn't good enough to play in a back 4. As a wing back he would get demolished.

11 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

Palmer isn't good enough to play in a back 4. As a wing back he would get demolished.

I agree - with all due respect to LP, it's nearly four years since DC came in and has spent a shed full of money, but we still have him as first choice right back.

A league one player; back up in a lower championship team at best.

If Hector is a bully to go with his height that would make a big difference.

Although I was amazed that Stoke didn’t create more havoc from set pieces given their size and reputation in this area.

The real issue with the goals is that opposition midfielders got goal side of our midfielders and had time to pick a pass to strikers on the move. Nightmare land for a defender, probably can’t match the pace, try to stay together and play offside but lap of the gods stuff really.

Edited by oldishowl

Guest Jack the Hat

For me the problem is the Lees situation. He is a good defender but needs his partner to tell him what to do. But the only one experienced enough was loovens. We missed a big trick when we bought JVA. Not basing that on what have turned out to be poor performances but cos we all knew Loovens was past it and Lees wasn't a leader. Someone like Harlee Dean and the Blackburn guy were available at the time. Both good leaders plus there must have been many others available. Also he can't distribute a ball either. Not slating him I like him as an out and out defender. Think thorniley and hector will be worth a try. Or possibly hector and lees

Edited by Jack the Hat

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

For me the problem is the Lees situation. He is a good defender but needs his partner to tell him what to do. But the only one experienced enough was loovens. We missed a big trick when we bought JVA. Not basing that on what have turned out to be poor performances but cos we all knew Loovens was past it and Lees wasn't a leader. Someone like Harlee Dean and the Blackburn guy were available at the time. Both good leaders plus there must have been many others available. Also he can't distribute a ball either. Not slating him I like him as an out and out defender. Think thorniley and hector will be worth a try. Or possibly hector and lees

Watch Thorniley, he’s captain material. He will try and take control of the situation, and isn’t afraid to tell others what to do Agree, he doesn’t really have the experience yet, but we’ve gone down a different route. I can see the basis for a good pairing starting to develop. With young Penney looking to get forward more often, it’s important we have a left sided centre back who can cover