Defence issues

Guest LittleG

Concerned about our defensive capabilities cos this season we seem unable to keep a clean sheet and yesterday in particular we were wide open at times. It's something we need to rectify but what can we do about it. Is it the goalkeeper not organising his defence? Is it the personnel at Jos's disposal? Do we need to change the formation and go with 3 centre backs? Do we need Hutch back on the side as he does appear to protect the back line better than Joey? Is there an answer and, if so, what is it. Would like your views on this.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Maybe a couple of players just switched off for a minute and that's all it takes to get punished at this level.

Come on, we were lucky to only be two down when Matias scored. There was a stat a couple of weeks ago that Dawson had made the most saves in the division, we are wide open at times.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Come on, we were lucky to only be two down when Matias scored. There was a stat a couple of weeks ago that Dawson had made the most saves in the division, we are wide open at times.

Oh I agree. We were open.

But whilst we always look for big factors I just think little ones make as big-a-impact. Players switching off and of course the opposition playing quite well. Which is one we often overlook . Myself included.

5 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Concerned about our defensive capabilities cos this season we seem unable to keep a clean sheet and yesterday in particular we were wide open at times. It's something we need to rectify but what can we do about it. Is it the goalkeeper not organising his defence? Is it the personnel at Jos's disposal? Do we need to change the formation and go with 3 centre backs? Do we need Hutch back on the side as he does appear to protect the back line better than Joey? Is there an answer and, if so, what is it. Would like your views on this.

We tried 3 at the back at the start of the season, although it worked last season it didn't this season because we don't have the personnel. Palmer can play full-back but no way is he a wing back and Lees looks far more comfortable in a centre-back pair rather than a 3. Hunt and Venancio were vital to the 3-5-2 last season. As somebody said yesterday, Pelupessy doesn't hold the CDM position well enough to protect the back 4 but in front of him yesterday we were wide open in the middle of the pitch because Reach was far too advanced.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Oh I agree. We were open.

But whilst we always look for big factors I just think little ones make as big-a-impact. Players switching off and of course the opposition playing quite well. Which is one we often overlook . Myself included.

Absolutely. Stoke played very well in attack first half yesterday but it is concerning that we don't look close to keeping a clean sheet after 7 league games.

We have an inexperienced/young keeper, centre half and left back. Palmer is the right back and he’s not great. I’d personally get Hector in the team for his height and physicality and partner him with Lees. I’d play Penney or Thorniley at left back dependant on the opposition. Thorniley maybe a better bet against physical teams or some away games.

Our historic defensive strength was based around a quartet of Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson in defensive midfield. Our current quartet is Dawson, Lees, Thorniley and Joey. 

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We have an inexperienced/young keeper, centre half and left back. Palmer is the right back and he’s not great. I’d personally get Hector in the team for his height and physicality and partner him with Lees. I’d play Penney or Thorniley at left back dependant on the opposition. Thorniley maybe a better bet against physical teams or some away games.

Our historic defensive strength was based around a quartet of Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson in defensive midfield. Our current quartet is Dawson, Lees, Thorniley and Joey. 

Thorniley is the best centrehalf we have no chance should he be dropped

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Thorniley was awful against Brentford at left-back. Give him the chance to keep developing as a CB be it in the first 11 or as cover of Hector proves a better option. 

Just now, Daniel The Owl said:

Thorniley is the best centrehalf we have no chance should he be dropped

I rate him but I really think we need the bigger and more experienced Hector in the team partnering Lees. Tom hasn’t been great this season but maybe this is down to him being surrounded by inexperienced players. Both Thorniley and Penney will be excellent swfc players but I’d be careful with both.

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

I rate him but I really think we need the bigger and more experienced Hector in the team partnering Lees. Tom hasn’t been great this season but maybe this is down to him being surrounded by inexperienced players. Both Thorniley and Penney will be excellent swfc players but I’d be careful with both.

Lees has the most experience out of any of them he shouldn’t need Hector, getting to the point where he’s showing what a liability he is always needed Loovens holding his hand about time he stepped up

Just now, Daniel The Owl said:

Lees has the most experience out of any of them he shouldn’t need Hector, getting to the point where he’s showing what a liability he is always needed Loovens holding his hand about time he stepped up

Tom Lees was subject to £7/8m bids. He is a good player but he’s much better with a leader next to him. I just don’t think our current set up is getting the best out of him. 

Our current back 4 and GK is too inexperienced for me and that’s why Hector needs to come in. 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Being careful would include not subjecting them to playing out of position in a defence that is struggling for consistency of performance. Thorniley has proved CB is his best position, don't want to see him at LB again. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel The Owl said:

He may not have been at his best this season but a liability?!

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely. Stoke played very well in attack first half yesterday but it is concerning that we don't look close to keeping a clean sheet after 7 league games.

True.  Then there's the other little things further up which impact the defence like Pelupessy clearly being asked to do a tracking job on that Allen.  And Reach being really advanced and that in turn giving that little Ginger rotter the freedom of Hillsborough. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

True.  Then there's the other little things further up which impact the defence like Pelupessy clearly being asked to do a tracking job on that Allen.  And Reach being really advanced and that in turn giving that little Ginger rotter the freedom of Hillsborough. 

Yep, have to defend as a team throughout and I thought it bizarre that Reach was instructed to play so advanced when we had an attacking 3 as well and he did nothing to stop Woods playing. Might work against teams that play for a point at Hillsborough but that was clearly not how Stoke lined up. Made for a very entertaining game but perhaps not the best tactics.