Defence issues

Guest LittleG

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True.  Then there's the other little things further up which impact the defence like Pelupessy clearly being asked to do a tracking job on that Allen.  And Reach being really advanced and that in turn giving that little Ginger rotter the freedom of Hillsborough. 

This. I think the 4 at the back is starting to come together and we'll get our first clean sheet against Forest. I thought Lees was generally excellent yesterday, Palmer is stepping up and its great to see Matt And Ben adapt so well to this most brutal of leagues. 

I thought most of our problems came from midfield yesterday however they soon got to grips with things.

7 hours ago, Daniel The Owl said:

Lees has the most experience out of any of them he shouldn’t need Hector, getting to the point where he’s showing what a liability he is always needed Loovens holding his hand about time he stepped up

exactly

lees was always dogger without loovens

he's been well below the mark this season and defensivly been embarrassing with a man of his experience

thornly has shown him up so far

Inexperienced defence doesn’t help however the gaps left in front of the back 4 and lack of protection from Joey and Bannan is the key issue for me.

Its obvious we’ve been told to press high but at times I’ve seen these 2 doing it near the opponents area whereas surely it should be 4 players in front of them doing that. 

Furthermore I’d feel more assured if we could get Hutchinson firing again and play him instead of Joey! 

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True.  Then there's the other little things further up which impact the defence like Pelupessy clearly being asked to do a tracking job on that Allen.  And Reach being really advanced and that in turn giving that little Ginger rotter the freedom of Hillsborough. 

gingerist  …...you'll get the PC  brigade after you . 

• Haha 2

I still maintain we need a commanding centre half who does what it says in the tin and puts his foot in and clears the ball . Hopefully Hector will be the answer. Too many times yesterday you saw our defenders trying to pass the ball out of defence ,instead of just getting rid and clearing the danger. What id give for a Mick Lyons type centre half. 

8 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I still maintain we need a commanding centre half who does what it says in the tin and puts his foot in and clears the ball . Hopefully Hector will be the answer. Too many times yesterday you saw our defenders trying to pass the ball out of defence ,instead of just getting rid and clearing the danger. What id give for a Mick Lyons type centre half. 

Probably because that’s what they’ve been encouraged to do It wouldn’t be the natural instinct of Lees, to pass the ball out of defence, it’s what he’s been told to do There’s bound to be teething problems

9 hours ago, A12owl said:

I've just posted this in another thread but believe it's valid on here as well.

Whatever personnel are played Jos must get them to close down the opposition in their own final third. Every move from Stoke started with Butland to Shawcross who was allowed to wander casually to the halfway line before anybody got round to hassle him...if he hadn't already played a pass through to their forwards or advanced midfielders. 

If the opposition are kept in their own half by pressing high then it allows us to move up the pitch giving defenders more time to sort out the opposition's forwards. It also keeps us nearer the oppos goal avoiding having a 5 minute cross pitch passing practice and Duracell Bannan coming back to the edge of our penalty area to pick up the ball

High pressing is the modern game plan and seems to work.

Over to you :luhukay:

I agree 100% as long as we can sustain it for 90 minutes, otherwise it's very risky. Leicester started off pressing Bournemouth really well on Saturday and were by far the most dominant team for the first 25 minutes or so but then as soon as they ran out of steam Bournemouth took over and a couple of late goals glossed over what was essentially a 4-0 stuffing.

Thorniley gives Jos a dilemma. His form warrants a starting role. If his form dips or we pick up an injury, Hector comes in. I would like to see Lees & Hector at some point, but not whilst Thorniley is on a hot streak. Hector may need to be patient. 

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Thorniley gives Jos a dilemma. His form warrants a starting role. If his form dips or we pick up an injury, Hector comes in. I would like to see Lees & Hector at some point, but not whilst Thorniley is on a hot streak. Hector may need to be patient. 

Yes, and for me, the strength of Lees and Thorniley is in the pairing. They’re a good fit, like Lees and Loovens were, despite their aerial shortcomings. 

Edited by gurujuan

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, and for me, the strength of Lees and Thorniley is in the pairing. They’re a good fit, like Lees and Loovens were, despite their aerial shortcomings. 

I suppose the counter-argument to our view is that we're conceding too many. Yes, they pair well together. But they gotta stop the goals going in somehow to avoid a change-up. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m a hard man to please, but even I’m happy with the direction we’re travelling in

This season P7. W3. D2. L2 GF11. GA11. Pts 11

Last season P7. W3. D3. L1. GF9. GA6. Pts 12

At this point last year we began a stinky run where we took 5 points from 7 games, scoring 8 and conceding 11.

So far it looks like we are leakier but score comfortably more under Jos. Certainly I am enjoying the ride far more this season than last.

21 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Maybe a couple of players just switched off for a minute and that's all it takes to get punished at this level.

Watch the highlights for the 2 Stoke goals and pay attention to Palmer in particular. Switches off, looses his man and then tries to get back to him too late. Liability defensively, we need to replace him in January 

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

Watch the highlights for the 2 Stoke goals and pay attention to Palmer in particular. Switches off, looses his man and then tries to get back to him too late. Liability defensively, we need to replace him in January 

Oh I have.

First goal. Definitly switches off. Should be sweeping in around the side and staying with his man. 

Though it's a goal with faults all ends up.

Penney turned tight. Bannan not goal side of his man.

Palmer must do much better. But again...the actual goalscorer slips on Thornileys blind side with ease.

No one wants to dig the kids out. But if we dig Palmer out then we have to be fair.

Second goal.

I make the striker Lees' man. Palmer had picked up the late run of Allen, then when the ball pops back out the striker make a side step off Lees and then back in between Palmer and Lees'

Again. I think Bannan should be goal side of Ince who make the final pass if Penney has passed him on when he comes inside.

Palmer might have been more awake to the danger but I can see why he hadn't picked him up because a fraction of a second earlier he's the skippers man. Lees equally as culpable.

As it is...that man didn't score. That was Thornileys man, who he had marked tight and then let slip past him when he got caught watching the lad with the ball about to make the pass.

Split second decisons. But the little ball behind caused a lot of prpblems.

At least 5 players have switced off and all must take equal share of the issue. Even the kids and star men.