Bronco Layne

6 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

There was a phone on Praise & Grumble about cult heroes. All the usual suspects were nominated but missing was to me the best centre forward I've ever seen, and that includes Hirsty. We all know he was sent down the river and made an example of but that's water under the bridge. Personally I think he and Swanny were the scapegoats for the other criminals. His record with the Owls were 52 goals in 74 appearances ALL in the top division. On the verge of becoming an England player at 24 when the above mentioned s**t happened. Today he'd be worth multi millions in the transfer market yet ended up running a pub in Brightside ( The Crown?). Went in a few times and the guy was a real gentleman. Loved the song too about him "tearing across the Hillsborough plain". Used to stand at the bottom of the Leppings Lane as a kid and watched him tear through defences as if they weren't there. Worra player.

Couldn't agree more, he was lethal. The best centre forward I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Guest The Claw
1 minute ago, Blatter said:

Not forgetting Fantham, Megson (D) Springett (R) Finney Quinn Young etc. etc. What a team we had back then.

he and Swanny were the scapegoats

19 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

There was a phone on Praise & Grumble about cult heroes. All the usual suspects were nominated but missing was to me the best centre forward I've ever seen, and that includes Hirsty. We all know he was sent down the river and made an example of but that's water under the bridge. Personally I think he and Swanny were the scapegoats for the other criminals. His record with the Owls were 52 goals in 74 appearances ALL in the top division. On the verge of becoming an England player at 24 when the above mentioned s**t happened. Today he'd be worth multi millions in the transfer market yet ended up running a pub in Brightside ( The Crown?). Went in a few times and the guy was a real gentleman. Loved the song too about him "tearing across the Hillsborough plain". Used to stand at the bottom of the Leppings Lane as a kid and watched him tear through defences as if they weren't there. Worra player.

I thought he run a pub called the top hat but it's 30 years ago when I went in. 

The amount we drank and the years that have pasted do not not aid the memory lol

27 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Not forgetting Fantham, Megson (D) Springett (R) Finney Quinn Young etc. etc. What a team we had back then.

Those magical names from the first Wednesday team I ever saw at Hillsborough.

Maybe it’s rose tinted specs but every team I’ve watched since, even in the early 90s, never quite lived up to those legends for me.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Blatter said:

That's why we finished runners up to the uncatchable Spurs team in 61.  But as the OP says it was a magnitude sight to Bronco batter his way to goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

My dad used to tell me that Lane, Swan would have been in the England Team for the final in 66 and but for an injury before the tournament Springett would have been in goal.

Could you imagine 3 Owls in the 1966 world cup winning team, the goal that never was would not have been an issues as with Ron in goal they never would have got 3.

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

My dad used to tell me that Lane, Swan would have been in the England Team for the final in 66 and but for an injury before the tournament Springett would have been in goal.

Could you imagine 3 Owls in the 1966 world cup winning team, the goal that never was would not have been an issues as with Ron in goal they never would have got 3.

Tony Kay would have been in instead of Bally as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

What song was this? How did it go and what was the tune?

It was the theme tune from a tv series called ‘ Bronco’ starring Ty Hardin that was popular at the time. It was about a cowboy called Bronco Layne.

Somebody can perhaps remember the words better than me 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I believe it was more down to the fact Springett kept goal for England in a 5-0 loss to France in a friendly. After this Ramsey went with Banks which was harsh on Springett.

Maybe one of our older members can confirm?

I listened to the show and I also wondered if Bronco Layne would be mentioned.

I’m too young to remember him myself but a good friend of mine and long time poster on Owlstalk who’s sadly no longer with us, Wolfman Jack used to bang on about Bronco Layne all the time when we worked together and I know he would have been in touch with last nights show to share his stories about him.

He sounded like an outstanding player.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I listened to the show and I also wondered if Bronco Layne would be mentioned.

I’m too young to remember him myself but a good friend of mine and long time poster on Owlstalk who’s sadly no longer with us, Wolfman Jack used to bang on about Bronco Layne all the time when we worked together and I know he would have been in touch with last nights show to share his stories about him.

He sounded like an outstanding player.

I asked Tony Kay about him on Twitter and he was full of praise for him