Bronco Layne

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

your nearly right ...was the bad winter of 63 and ron hadn't played for a while due to the weather ,the match was a euro nations cup game in paris which England lost 5-2 and ron got blamed for 2 of the goals and lost his place after that game to banks …...

Ron had not played because of a hand injury for weeks his first game back was the England game, missed a couple of crosses that lead to  goals. I talked to him while he was injured on the train to Sheffield from London.

Bronco was sensational. Big , strong, shot like a cannonball. Bit like Lorrimer's shooting a few years later. Great in the air. Jimmy McEwen the Villa player he thumped. Green Un headline that night.. Bronco sent off ! Sending off was rare in those days, and the player had to stay away from the club for the length of his ban !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellowl said:

Ron had not played because of a hand injury for weeks his first game back was the England game, missed a couple of crosses that lead to  goals. I talked to him while he was injured on the train to Sheffield from London.

I always  thought it was the weather that caused him to be rusty ….he only missed one game all season thru injury and that was 3 months before the French game . ...pretty sure we played a game early January and then we didn't play another league game til  march ( the French game was in February)  …..not saying your wrong as he could have been injured in training and with us having no games it wouldn't be common knowledge .

8 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Wish we had a film of the goal Colin Dobson set up for him, day after Kennedy was killed. I'll leave it for others to describe the bullet diving header. 

Another hero of mine, The Ginger Haired Wonder.( Colin not JFK ).

22 hours ago, Geedee said:

I thought he run a pub called the top hat but it's 30 years ago when I went in. 

The amount we drank and the years that have pasted do not not aid the memory lol

Swanny was landlord of The Travellers on Staniforth Rd, not sure about The Cocked Hat on Leeds Rd. Pub just up from there was run by Billy Calvert the boxer. Bronco ran the Crown at Brightside. Amazing how many pubs there were in Sheffield 9 at the time.

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Swanny was landlord of The Travellers on Staniforth Rd, not sure about The Cocked Hat on Leeds Rd. Pub just up from there was run by Billy Calvert the boxer. Bronco ran the Crown at Brightside. Amazing how many pubs there were in Sheffield 9 at the time.

I knew Billy very well when he ran the Sportsman, I used to go to his boxing club in the late 70's at least one evening a week and Sunday morning. He's a smashing bloke although the last I heard he was not very well.

Bronco definatley had the cocked hat. 

Guest The Claw
14 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

At the time of the scandal, people wanted big names punished and Wednesday were amongst the biggest back then. The papers claimed to have revelations about major involvement all over the top clubs but once it came out about our 3 the other revelations never surfaced. Seems like someone had "words". It was a complete stitch up.

Look at the betting scandals in football now, individuals get a minimal fine and a couple of games ban in comparison, though what did take place was wrong the punishment should fit the crime and this did or should set a president

43 minutes ago, The Claw said:

Look at the betting scandals in football now, individuals get a minimal fine and a couple of games ban in comparison, though what did take place was wrong the punishment should fit the crime and this did or should set a president

But which one, Trump, Obama or Kennedy? 

Re the World cup squad of 1966. Sir Alf was a funny bugger with some funny selections in his hat. Personally I think Swann was a given, Layne and Kay may have been deemed a little too wild of the wild cards, though both were knocking hard at the door and would have both forced more than a handful of appearances between them over time had the FA not intervened in their careers.