OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Yes mate as he has scored more goals from midfield in his 60 odd games for Villa than Bannan has managed in double that, add to that he has only got 4 yellow he has not missed 3 games through suspension.

For me I would take the money for Bannan if we could get £8m then replace him with a younger better championship midfielder in Nick Powell who has just 6 month left on his deal at Wigan, at 24 he will get better i.e. improve his resale value.

2018/19 - Powell 18 games, 4 goals 5 assists 

2018/19 - Bannan 23 games, 2 goals, 3 assists 

But you have to take into consideration what role they play at the respective clubs...

Does Hourihane have to track back and link the back s to the midfield, then be expected to link the midfield to the attack, take full responsibility for the whole length of the pitch?

cos thats what Bannan has had to do this season for us, lets be honest he has been MOM for Wednesday week in week out..that may be a testament to how bad some of the others are...but How would Hourihane perform given Bannans role here?

Thats the question

7 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

But you have to take into consideration what role they play at the respective clubs...

Does Hourihane have to track back and link the back s to the midfield, then be expected to link the midfield to the attack, take full responsibility for the whole length of the pitch?

cos thats what Bannan has had to do this season for us, lets be honest he has been MOM for Wednesday week in week out..that may be a testament to how bad some of the others are...but How would Hourihane perform given Bannans role here?

Thats the question

Bit like comparing Ruben Neves and Delli Alli and saying that Alli is better because he scores more goals.

Bannan sits deep and creates and with out the wand of a foot of a Neves or a Reach. You can't expect much of a goal return.

If Bannan could add goals to his repetoir he'd be a prem player, regardless of his lack of physicality. Also he hasn't got a deadly set piece delivery. 

Sheridan was hardly a tough tackler or runner but he made and scored goals regularly. 

If Bannan had this, he could play in the hole or further up the pitch and be a real problem for teams. 

I like Bannan but he just lacks the full playmaker repetoir. 

Edited by Beholder

28 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Thats the question

The problem is we need cash into the club and Bannan is there to create chances and score goas too and he is not doing this. Is he covering the fact Pelupessy is not good enough - very likely but if we can get £8m for him we can replace him at a fraction of the price with Powell and maybe also replace Pelupessy with a competent championship defensive midfielder. 

Currently what we have is a very predicable team where the other teams mark Bannan and they know everything goes through him. 

Something has to change but is unlikely too.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The problem is we need cash into the club and Bannan is there to create chances and score goas too and he is not doing this. Is he covering the fact Pelupessy is not good enough - very likely but if we can get £8m for him we can replace him at a fraction of the price with Powell and maybe also replace Pelupessy with a competent championship defensive midfielder. 

Currently what we have is a very predicable team where the other teams mark Bannan and they know everything goes through him. 

Something has to change but is unlikely too.

Or he could possibly be the reason Pelupessy is not good enough, by continually dropping too far back and leaving Pelupessy on his own. Just a thought ?

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

All true.

But if Bruce could have signed Bannan he would have done. So be interesting to see how he uses him. Because he clearly likes something about him.

He needs the right people around him and Hutchinson and Reach ain't it.

Not in a three man midfield anyway. 

Was better when Pelupessy was next to him. But it's impossible to drop Hutchinson as we need that cover in there so I would almost be tempted to put him on the left again like Carlos did.    All his best work for us always comes down the left normally anyway and that's gives us the opportunity then to bring in a better partner for hutch if Pelupessy ain't up to it.

Also allows Reach to go wide right and cut in and have a proper two upfront.

Reach  Hutch   Pelupessy/new  Bannan  

Fletcher  Forestieri/Joao 

We Probably played our best football under Carlos when we did that.

Wallace  Hutchinson   Lee   Bannan 

Hooper     Forestieri 

As I said before he is a talented player but difficult to fit into a team. With high pressing tactics and increased tempo football not sure the formation you indicated would no longer work as not enough pace in team or energy especially without Lee and Forestieri.

47 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Or he could possibly be the reason Pelupessy is not good enough, by continually dropping too far back and leaving Pelupessy on his own. Just a thought ?

In the games without Bannan or with Hutchinson In there aswell. Pelupessy has been one of our better players.

20 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

It looks like Huddersfield fans have forced David Wagner into resigning and some people think our fans are self entitled and fickle...

I thought they would have stayed with Wagner, rebuilt during the close season and had another go in championship next season. Whoever they get will not save them from relegation and they may not be a threat next season unless the manager they get knows the championship.

16 minutes ago, Quist said:

As I said before he is a talented player but difficult to fit into a team. With high pressing tactics and increased tempo football not sure the formation you indicated would no longer work as not enough pace in team or energy especially without Lee and Forestieri.

Is Bruce gonna play with pace and energy.?

2 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

I thought they would have stayed with Wagner, rebuilt during the close season and had another go in championship next season. Whoever they get will not save them from relegation and they may not be a threat next season unless the manager they get knows the championship.

Bet there all talking about Allerdyce aint they?

He won't go there and risk a relegation on his c.v.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

All true.

But if Bruce could have signed Bannan he would have done. So be interesting to see how he uses him. Because he clearly likes something about him.

He needs the right people around him and Hutchinson and Reach ain't it.

Not in a three man midfield anyway. 

Was better when Pelupessy was next to him. But it's impossible to drop Hutchinson as we need that cover in there so I would almost be tempted to put him on the left again like Carlos did.    All his best work for us always comes down the left normally anyway and that's gives us the opportunity then to bring in a better partner for hutch if Pelupessy ain't up to it.

Also allows Reach to go wide right and cut in and have a proper two upfront.

Reach  Hutch   Pelupessy/new  Bannan  

Fletcher  Forestieri/Joao 

We Probably played our best football under Carlos when we did that.

Wallace  Hutchinson   Lee   Bannan 

Hooper     Forestieri 

I know Hutchinson is a fans favourite, but Bruce will want players who are available for for a full season

Hutchinson is too much of a crock

I would expect Bruce to want new full backs, new centre half, new defensive mid, and a powerful striker

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Thats the question

Therein lies the problem with Bannan. I've long been a critic of him always wanting to take the ball off the back 4, even when Hutch was playing. It meant that we were slow and predictable and there was no support from midfield when Lee wasn't playing. There'd be times when him and Hutch would be within touching distance of the back 4!!!