OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

12 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Agreed. Not bothered over Judge either. We don’t want injury prone 30 somethings in the team. They’ve killed us enough as it is. 

Would definitely take Marshall though. 

While I like Marshall as a player he has his own injury issues so would steer clear.

15 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Our problems have not been addressed for 3 years.

Instead of actually making us stronger we signed striker after striker, foreign imports not up to it and past it players living off former glories.

Hopefully we can finally address the glaringly obvious flaws this side had which was for the world to see in May 2016.

A strong cool headed centre half to accompany Lees- Venancio? Instead we made the Van Aken signing permanent. FFS.

New full backs. Pudil was clearly on his way out. We sold our best right back in Hunt. Still not addressed. We signed Fox who isn't good enough and still persist with Liam Palmer who is painfully inconsistent for a right back, a position famed for its reliability.

A midfield player. Where the money should have been spent. Somebody to add some steel next to the skilful and energetic Bannan and Lee. We fail to resign Lopez who was a damn sight better than Jones and Abdi- two players who were on their way down after achieving promotion- Wednesday is a good final pay check for players not quite up to the Premier League, Horrendous signings. This position still not addressed, Pelupessy a trier but again not good enough. Onomah, not a given a fair shot but even if he did well here was never going to be a long term player for us.

Wingers. We probably needed a left sided player, for me Bannan was better in the middle not wide left. AREA ADDRESSED. Adam Reach fits the role perfectly, but for some reason we continue to not play him in his natural position. A few screamers aside he's been shockingly misused at Wednesday. Wallace had one more season in him. Needed a younger model with a bit more pace down the right. We fail to lineup a replacement in 2016.We do in 2017 in George Boyd a hard working player who for me has been poor but played in the wrong positions. Not what was needed, another 33 year old has been who's career was on the slide rather than the up. Poor signing.

Strikers. Ok after Wembley we probably needed two. Hooper question marks over his fitness and Nuhiu probably needed moving on (he is still here and was offered an extension, mental). We sign Fletcher, ok I don't mind that. Not prolific but works hard and if we get a quick pacy striker playing off him it could be perfect. January 2017 we sign Winnall and Rhodes. Winnall great, good hungry player with a point to prove. Rhodes? Mental signing, for a big fee. It was a disastrous signing and has stopped us from improving areas in the squad which need pretty urgent attention. We didn't need him but we signed him and it's gone horribly wrong. Karma perhaps.

So now we find ourselves in 2019. For me the side is weaker now than it was in 2016, which is shocking mis-management. This is the mess Steve Bruce has to deal with. Not only are we lacking in quality and a balanced squad. This squad is mentally weak and fragile. He has a big job on his hands and I hope he knows what he's walking into. This won't be easy. Good luck Steve, massive wake up call today. 

it's staggering when you look at it.

you could have gone into the stands when dc took over, interviewed a couple of hundred fans and found some to form a steering group who knew better about swfc, and English championship football than we've ended up looking.

I think bruce is very likely to be the best appointment we could make at the time, in 18 months to 2 years time HE may not see us as the best choice he ever made.

for me McCarthy's ability to build a side with little money may have suited us better.

there's a proper bloody mess to clear up, we've about half a dozen players that are actually worth something, Christ knows how many to get shut of?, and to build a side, in his position this wouldn't have been a jig i'd have taken.

I believe a centre back we are looking at is a premier League lad, English and mid twenties. Has played Championship.

I hope that older signings are a thing of the past now. We need some energy and pace in the team.

Edited by Brad_owl

Guest wilyfox
14 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

I believe a centre back we are looking at is a premier League lad, English and mid twenties. Has played Championship.

I hope that older signings are a thing of the past now. We need some energy and pace in the team.

Any further insight? 

5 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Ipswich, of all teams, are looking likely to get Alan Judge.

Ben Marshall looking likely to re-join Millwall.

Two players who would improve our first 11 no end... are we even in the market?

Judge since injury is shadow of player and Marshall is a league 1 player.

5 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

Not really mate, sorry. I'm sure there are a few being looked at that I have no idea about.

This would be a pretty good one though. Not mentioned in this thread.

Dan Burn from Fulham? I know Bruce wanted him at Villa.