Favourite Away Grounds...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

... that no longer exist

Back in the 80s going away seemed like such an adventure

Invariably we loaded onto a 'football special' train - 'The Inter City Owl' and took over grounds wherever we went, the atmosphere on the train was always incredible, groups of lads playing cards, having a drink in old railway carriages...

The cost was usually manageable, and groups of lads from school would travel together.

Some of my favourite away Grounds from back then no longer exist. Loved going to Burnden Park, Bolton and the Victoria Ground, Stoke. My favourite was always Millmoor, there would be Wednesday fans in all areas of the ground and you'd always identify where they were when we scored

Met a new girlfriend on an away train to Huddersfield once. Lovely lass, from Wincobank. Cracking bangers :-)

Think my all time favourite away day back then was the train to Newcastle, Shelton's overhead kick and the walk back to the station through Newcastle town centre. Some idiot throwing a large wooden cable drum off the roof of a shopping centre at the fans below.

Crazy days, but totally reinforced the love for the club and kept me going all this time

What were your favourite grounds?

The Inter City Owl was brilliant back in the day.

I do remember being marched from the train through Newcastle town centre...but with strength in numbers there was never any bovver.

Blackburn springs to mind as a good one...

Bury with the wooden floor..got a good bounce to it.

10 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

Invariably we loaded onto a 'football special' train - 'The Inter City Owl' and took over grounds wherever we went, the atmosphere on the train was always incredible, groups of lads playing cards, having a drink in old railway carriages...

The cost was usually manageable, and groups of lads from school would travel together.

Some of my favourite away Grounds from back then no longer exist. Loved going to Burnden Park, Bolton and the Victoria Ground, Stoke. My favourite was always Millmoor, there would be Wednesday fans in all areas of the ground and you'd always identify where they were when we scored

Met a new girlfriend on an away train to Huddersfield once. Lovely lass, from Wincobank. Cracking bangers :-)

Think my all time favourite away day back then was the train to Newcastle, Shelton's overhead kick and the walk back to the station through Newcastle town centre. Some idiot throwing a large wooden cable drum off the roof of a shopping centre at the fans below.

Crazy days, but totally reinforced the love for the club and kept me going all this time

Did seem more fun then, might have been as only in my teens.

Was never keen on Stoke, used to live the trips to London, Spurs and Chelsea was always a good atmosphere. Early train into London then pubs down the river, Sloane square then a walk to Stamford Bridge  seemed like miles.

Cardiff when we got promoted was fun, they really didn't like us, can't blame them celebrating on their pitch.

So many good away days honourable mentions to Maine Rd, Villa park and st James.

Thought it was a wooden beer crate the Geordie threw off the car park, the Lad it hit was off our estate, pretty bad if I recall.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
15 minutes ago, Lombado said:

The Inter City Owl was brilliant back in the day.

I do remember being marched from the train through Newcastle town centre...but with strength in numbers there was never any bovver.

Blackburn springs to mind as a good one...

Bury with the wooden floor..got a good bounce to it.

9 minutes ago, Totleyowl said:

1980s Elwood park , Had some cracking visits ,, Mellor goal that just about secured promotion, I’ll never forget that night.....

All I remember about Ewood was constantly being ripped apart by Noel Brotherston - the half bald half ginger wizard they had on the wing - he seemed to always look like he was in his late 50s

Image result for noel brotherston

I used to love going to Man City’s Maine Road ground

I don’t know why because the locals were evil

Seen Wednesday win there a few times which is probably why

I was there at the cup replay in 80/81, that was a real scarey night

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Old Trafford and Maine Road over 40-50 thousand half standing,.Breath taking

Best atmosphere I've ever seen anywhere was the Baseball ground..especially the cup games,

This...night matches at the Baseball Ground

Guest Hillsborough Mole
6 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Old Trafford and Maine Road over 40-50 thousand half standing,.Breath taking

Best atmosphere I've ever seen anywhere was the Baseball ground..especially the cup games,

Yeah the Baseball Ground was brilliant - much much better than Pride Park for atmosphere. the atmosphere that biting cold night when that fool tried to kill Martin Hodge was absolutely amazing

I'm currently getting my oats with a Bolton fan (well I say that to sound big and clever, I am completely in love with her but I know it isn't going anywhere) and she was most surprised to learn that Burndon Park was one of my favourite ever away grounds, even with the daft supermarket built on half of the away end.

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

Ah, the good old days when you could let off fireworks on public transport...

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

I was there that day, and on the way back just about every window of the train, or our carriage at least was smashed when going through some fields just outside the station.

Edited by farlego

Gay Meadow Shrewsbury was always a good away day as was Filbert Street Leicester.

It`s funny,  looking back, we used to laugh at how $h1t places like Saltergate were, but there is a part of me that would much prefer to be in one of those atmospheric old ramshackles rather than be in any one of the soulless new bowls that are popping up everywhere.

Edited by sheriwozgod