Favourite Away Grounds...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Got my nose broken at the Dell in the cup Replay when we were singing 'Shilton where's your wife'

The blood ruined a great White sweatshirt, not to mention traveling home in a red and white top

3 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Got my nose broken at the Dell in the cup Replay when we were singing 'Shilton where's your wife'

The blood ruined a great White sweatshirt, not to mention traveling home in a red and white top

I got off our coach to have ashit at the side of the road on the way back.  Everybody sang, "Have you wiped your shittyarse?"  when I got back on.  

We were there all day from early on the naughty bus and I was 14 I think and my dad didn't even know I'd gone until I got home at about 3 in the morning :-). I was up at 5.30 for my milk round.

Saw The Smiths that same week, night before I think,  at City Hall too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Haha remember singing "tina tina" at shilton at the BBG Derby .

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I got off our coach to have ashit at the side of the road on the way back.  Everybody sang, "Have you wiped your shittyarse?"  when I got back on.  

We were there all day from early on the naughty bus and I was 14 I think and my dad didn't even know I'd gone until I got home at about 3 in the morning :-). I was up at 5.30 for my milk round.

Saw The Smiths that same week, night before I think,  at City Hall too. 

Not one of my happiest away day memories that one - got hammered 5-1, seemingly endless journey home on the coach having to endure multiple episodes of the Kenny Everett show (as it was the only tape that would play), to then find that the car had been stolen from the car park. I think I got home just as my Dad was going out to work.

3 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

Not one of my happiest away day memories that one - got hammered 5-1, seemingly endless journey home on the coach having to endure multiple episodes of the Kenny Everett show (as it was the only tape that would play), to then find that the car had been stolen from the car park. I think I got home just as my Dad was going out to work.

We had a top day/night out and from what I remember of the game we played well and were a bit unlucky.

I can remember taking thepiss out of their "mob" in the bottom corner and one of their hardmen had a Patrick cagoule on and took some proper stick all night.  He'd have killed me if he could have got to me.

All the years in the Prem we always did Southampton early then Banbury on the way back.  I once nicked the works' minibus to go and we broke down on the way back and had to get AA out.  We saw two of the Grumbleweeds that night and gave them some reyt stick.

We'd picked a stray up who slept almost sll the way home and we only found out he was responsible for the bad smell in the back of the bus when we woke him up to drop him off.  He'd been sat in his own excrement all that time in his brand new, white Henry Lloyd jeans :-)

5 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Wolves for me. Always a great atmosphere. The south bank was an exceptional away end even if the wolves fans always liked to have a go on there. Also liked West Brom just down the road proper football club and traditional ground with four proper stands. 

Two good shouts.  Mini we went in blew up just as we got back from West Brom for a pre season friendly which was lucky and had a few adventures at Wolves.

31 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

All mentioned above.

Baseball Ground.

Millmoor.

Maine Road stood on the Kippax.

Filbert Street.

Leeds Road.

The Valley before being redeveloped with that massive terrace on one side.

That terrace on the old valley was exceptional..first remember going down there in the cup..god knows how long ago, but it was well impressive.. Huddersfields old Leeds rd ground had a good side terrace too

7 hours ago, Lombado said:

The Inter City Owl was brilliant back in the day.

I do remember being marched from the train through Newcastle town centre...but with strength in numbers there was never any bovver.

Blackburn springs to mind as a good one...

Bury with the wooden floor..got a good bounce to it.

'never any bovver'? i remember going to a midweek night game in february, borderline freezing, not a cloud in the night sky.

f*****g driver goes on the wrong end, and gets stuck in traffic. 

bedlam, bricks, bottles, young children and Christ knows what hurled at us, one nutter in a yellow tartan kilt (i remember it vividly, for good reason) and a pair of high leg DM's, bare chested was running up and nutting the side of the bus, (i have wondered over the years if he is still with us one way or another).

the driver being encouraged by passengers supporting messages of 'GET THIS F*****G THING OUTTA HERE'.

Edited by dnhc
addition to
  • Haha 1

I know Everton are still at Goodison but the old away end (small terrace, seats above) was always a good atmosphere and packed with Wednesdayites

Shame we had such a bad record there in the 80’s

Edited by Baldrick

on another point.

more than two decades ago, i used to work with a 'ding' and we'd been that weekend to jokewell, stood on that open kop, whilst he was in their 'ponty end', i figure it must have been a draw as no one was taking the pith. 

i asked him could they hear us during the game? (bearing in mind the open kop), he replied 'when we weren't singing you could hear a haunting slow chant of WEDNESDAY, WEDNESDAY, WEDNESDAY going around the ground', i thought YESSS! have some ot that you scummers.

7 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

Back in the 80s going away seemed like such an adventure

Invariably we loaded onto a 'football special' train - 'The Inter City Owl' and took over grounds wherever we went, the atmosphere on the train was always incredible, groups of lads playing cards, having a drink in old railway carriages...

The cost was usually manageable, and groups of lads from school would travel together.

Some of my favourite away Grounds from back then no longer exist. Loved going to Burnden Park, Bolton and the Victoria Ground, Stoke. My favourite was always Millmoor, there would be Wednesday fans in all areas of the ground and you'd always identify where they were when we scored

Met a new girlfriend on an away train to Huddersfield once. Lovely lass, from Wincobank. Cracking bangers :-)

Think my all time favourite away day back then was the train to Newcastle, Shelton's overhead kick and the walk back to the station through Newcastle town centre. Some idiot throwing a large wooden cable drum off the roof of a shopping centre at the fans below.

Crazy days, but totally reinforced the love for the club and kept me going all this time

What were your favourite grounds?

Your dead right it’s not the same any longer like you say.back in the day we would meet up friday night see who’s not at work on sat then decide who’s driving,then get picked up sat morning. Great days

4 minutes ago, TC4EVER said:

Your dead right it’s not the same any longer like you say.back in the day we would meet up friday night see who’s not at work on sat then decide who’s driving,then get picked up sat morning. Great days

great days, and great memories.

at times the 'crack was all you went for, as the team was likely to be getting another 'nil pwa' more often than not.

garymegson'SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAYS BACK IN TOWN AGAIN'.:tango:

• Like 1

Filbert Street for some reason remember it had sliding doors at the back and a giant net hung down so the locals couldn't chuck stuff at you. 

Roker.....Jesus a maze of terraced houses similar to Maine Road ( you didn't want to get lost round there).

Baseball ground decent, pitch used to get really muddy.

West Ham was my favourite London ground, just kept your head down coming out.