Favourite Away Grounds...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

3 hours ago, Totleyowl said:

1980s Elwood park , Had some cracking visits ,, Mellor goal that just about secured promotion, I’ll never forget that night.....

First two posts are much like what I was going to post.

HAS to be Blackburn, it was like the return and rebirth of the club that night. Just the most amazing night from start to finish.
I remember walking to the ground from where we parked and the whole atmosphere rang of WIN.

So, yes, Ewood Park

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I used to love going to Man City’s Maine Road ground

I don’t know why because the locals were evil

Seen Wednesday win there a few times which is probably why

I was there at the cup replay in 80/81, that was a real scarey night

Was there too for that one, kicked off all over, I remember their lot trying it in the stands and climbing over the seats, and even all our ( at the time )  " older lot "  chipping in as well.

Cracking night, got chased all over outside the ground ha ha ha

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Haha 1

My dad used to go on the intercity owl. He remembers the Newcastle ratrun through the streets. The worst day out he can remember was going to West Ham, being marched through the streets miles away from Upton Park. Police either side of all the fans while all the pubs were closed to stop the West Ham fans from coming out (scariest ever away day) but favourite away day was Chelsea when the intercity owl was sent into Paddington station then onto our own underground tube to Fulham Boradway to be met by loads of Chelsea fans on the platform. When the doors opened it was like in the wild West with a mass fight across the whole platform/station. Great days out.

3 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

All I remember about Ewood was constantly being ripped apart by Noel Brotherston - the half bald half ginger wizard they had on the wing - he seemed to always look like he was in his late 50s

Image result for noel brotherston

Sadly he never got to his late 50s and died from a heart attack at 38.

4 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Cardiff when we got promoted was fun, they really didn't like us, can't blame them celebrating on their pitch.

We bought tickets in the stand for this and when we got there the seats had been double booked with Cardiff fans.

Ended up just squashing up and sharing the seats...Elf and safety would never allow that these days...Stewards didn't seem bothered either.

2 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

I always enjoyed trips to London,

Highbury was a my fav followed by Craven Cottage and White Heart Lane, ...

Highbury for me..been a few times..never seen us win there, but I simply liked the ground, the area around the ground and the trip down on the train.

Hated Maine rd, Ayresome park, didn't mind Roker park.....Special mention to Goodison as well...(Yea I know its still there....but it f.ookin' shouldn't be...absolute dump)

Baseball ground was my favourite, always remember that 3-3 fa cup qf at night.

Also thought filbert street was decent.

Being on the old southbank at Wolves was an experience shared with the home end.

Ayesome Park was much better then the riverside too.

I just prefered old stadiums to the dull new ones.

Filbert street with the low roof was always a favourite.

Was at that newcastle game (welcome to death city anyone?)

maine road was good

Baseball ground when hodgy was flattened by that ex pig....fun and games that night......:ph34r::laugh:

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, Hillsborough Mole said:

Leicester Filbert Street - low roof - 'Yeeeeeellooooooows" for a full 45 minutes

Did we win 4-2 in that game?

2 hours ago, The Claw said:

any away ground really but port vale was always fun

Nasty foo.kers those lot , remember going there at the end of the promotion season 90-91 and was getting 'offered out' which was a first that season , they really took offence that we brought thousands that day lol

Guest Hillsborough Mole
8 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

I thought it was the game in the early 80s when Ante Mirocevic scored a screamer right in front of us. I think we won 2-0.

I think your right

5 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

Back in the 80s going away seemed like such an adventure

Invariably we loaded onto a 'football special' train - 'The Inter City Owl' and took over grounds wherever we went, the atmosphere on the train was always incredible, groups of lads playing cards, having a drink in old railway carriages...

The cost was usually manageable, and groups of lads from school would travel together.

Some of my favourite away Grounds from back then no longer exist. Loved going to Burnden Park, Bolton and the Victoria Ground, Stoke. My favourite was always Millmoor, there would be Wednesday fans in all areas of the ground and you'd always identify where they were when we scored

Met a new girlfriend on an away train to Huddersfield once. Lovely lass, from Wincobank. Cracking bangers :-)

Think my all time favourite away day back then was the train to Newcastle, Shelton's overhead kick and the walk back to the station through Newcastle town centre. Some idiot throwing a large wooden cable drum off the roof of a shopping centre at the fans below.

Crazy days, but totally reinforced the love for the club and kept me going all this time

What were your favourite grounds?

Got hit on the head with a coin (2p) that day at Newcastle and I agree with your selection of grounds too from back then as well as Maine Road too mentioned further down.

I was at Ewood for the Brotherton show, used to and still do love Goodison and The Dell has a special place in my heart for some top days/nights out.

Enjoyed a great day at Brighton which from memory was the same day as a huge CND march in London.

Filbert Street chucking bricks in a field, Ninian Park for the promotion party and the first Sikh copper with a badge on his turban I ever saw.

Baseball Ground, especially at night, was always a laugh.  Some good times at Millmoor over the years and remember being in the main stand at Oakwell when Banks scored a screamer.

I was on John Street when Hirst scored and Bright missed (would probably be dead if he'd scored) and on their kop (got in for nowt) for a 0-0 night match and on the South Stand for their 2-0 win when Palmer hit the bar and another couple of times but don't remember much.

I miss football how it was back then and being young and fearless and drunk and s bit daft.

• Like 2