Favourite Away Grounds...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I've done about 75, and it's Spurs for me. Linekar got hat trick once, and could have had 9. Cold Blow Lane was also proper old school. I also thought the Millenium in Cardiff was great, and the closest ground to the pub/city centre I've known. 

Other mentions to Forest, Derby and Everton. Of the newer grounds I quite like the Coventry one. Situated in a really poor location, but the ground itself is impressive imo. 

Just now, torryowl said:

highbury …..always thought it oozed class & style .other end of the spectrum the county ground at Northampton was so awful I actually enjoyed it . 

Agree re Highbury. Class act. Did Real Madrid recently, and very similar. They must pay people just to polish it up. 

16 minutes ago, vulva said:

I've done about 75, and it's Spurs for me. Linekar got hat trick once, and could have had 9. Cold Blow Lane was also proper old school. I also thought the Millenium in Cardiff was great, and the closest ground to the pub/city centre I've known. 

Other mentions to Forest, Derby and Everton. Of the newer grounds I quite like the Coventry one. Situated in a really poor location, but the ground itself is impressive imo. 

Gary Lineker scored twice for Spurs against us on two occasions, but never got a hat-trick. He also got doubles twice for Everton.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

I got off our coach to have ashit at the side of the road on the way back.  Everybody sang, "Have you wiped your shittyarse?"  when I got back on.  

We were there all day from early on the naughty bus and I was 14 I think and my dad didn't even know I'd gone until I got home at about 3 in the morning :-). I was up at 5.30 for my milk round.

Saw The Smiths that same week, night before I think,  at City Hall too. 

What a week that was!! Wow

I do not want to start an argument in any way here but I'm 33 and gutted I've missed these grounds, I'm also a father and don't get to away games anymore ...but I feel sorry for kids now. There's posts on here about noses being broken etc from what we all deem 'normal' fans (which they are!) But young uns let  a flare goes off and all hell breaks loose.

I despise hooligans with a passion but, and I include myself in this, are we not buggers for double standards ? 

Upton Park, Nene Park and The Dell were excellent grounds to travel to. Nene Park being in the middle of nowhere was a favourite trip in that awful season

But the best old ground for me is Ninian Park, Cardiff. Loved going there on a road trip down to Cardiff and enjoying the hospitality of the locals. Plus it was great having the choice of sitting at the front or standing at the back in the away end. Cracking ground.

My favourite - Gigg Lane,Bury, especially when Dooley scored a hat trick

Others - Roker Park was excellent.

Well remember going to Baseball Ground, and early leavers were on one side of the pitch.

Hull City's old ground.

Never liked Millmoor because of the three-sided aspect. Same with the Lane, although loved that when Yorkshire were playing.

One of the best sights I ever saw was off-season, and went round Holker Street, Barrow, who are now non-league.

And my all time favourite - Hillsborough prior to the Cantilever being built ( Have to admit the Cant  improved it, however.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I know Everton are still at Goodison but the old away end (small terrace, seats above) was always a good atmosphere and packed with Wednesdayites

Shame we had such a bad record there in the 80’s

That end was brilliant and very similar to our old Leppings Lane.

I can remember going once in the standing bit and they were chucking plastic bags full of hot tea and bovril at us.

Went another time for a night match snd we were in a boozer at that side of the ground and there were a few patients from the local mental hospital partying with the Wednesday fans.

8 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I used to love going to Man City’s Maine Road ground

I don’t know why because the locals were evil

Seen Wednesday win there a few times which is probably why

I was there at the cup replay in 80/81, that was a real scarey night

Didn't we get a late goal and City got 2 even later goals? Remember getting back to the car and group of City fans where waiting to give us a friendly goodbye!!

1 hour ago, big_al1985 said:

I do not want to start an argument in any way here but I'm 33 and gutted I've missed these grounds, I'm also a father and don't get to away games anymore ...but I feel sorry for kids now. There's posts on here about noses being broken etc from what we all deem 'normal' fans (which they are!) But young uns let  a flare goes off and all hell breaks loose.

I despise hooligans with a passion but, and I include myself in this, are we not buggers for double standards ? 

I just liked beer and singing and shouting loud..

In fact it was my mate when we were about 17 that was stood on by a police horse in derby..and started the mini riot..

Then we were chased by derby fans..were definatly not hooligans

1 hour ago, katie melua said:

Upton Park, Nene Park and The Dell were excellent grounds to travel to. Nene Park being in the middle of nowhere was a favourite trip in that awful season

But the best old ground for me is Ninian Park, Cardiff. Loved going there on a road trip down to Cardiff and enjoying the hospitality of the locals. Plus it was great having the choice of sitting at the front or standing at the back in the away end. Cracking ground.

Nene park? 

28 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

Didn't we get a late goal and City got 2 even later goals? Remember getting back to the car and group of City fans where waiting to give us a friendly goodbye!!

Yep it was a league cup 2nd leg game back in 1979, season we got promoted from the 3rd , they were in the old first division 

4 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Got hit on the head with a coin (2p) that day at Newcastle and I agree with your selection of grounds too from back then as well as Maine Road too mentioned further down.

I was at Ewood for the Brotherton show, used to and still do love Goodison and The Dell has a special place in my heart for some top days/nights out.

Enjoyed a great day at Brighton which from memory was the same day as a huge CND march in London.

Filbert Street chucking bricks in a field, Ninian Park for the promotion party and the first Sikh copper with a badge on his turban I ever saw.

Baseball Ground, especially at night, was always a laugh.  Some good times at Millmoor over the years and remember being in the main stand at Oakwell when Banks scored a screamer.

I was on John Street when Hirst scored and Bright missed (would probably be dead if he'd scored) and on their kop (got in for nowt) for a 0-0 night match and on the South Stand for their 2-0 win when Palmer hit the bar and another couple of times but don't remember much.

I miss football how it was back then and being young and fearless and drunk and s bit daft.

We was on Shoreham that game in standing bit in corner just after they had seated kop, must have been a good couple of hundred of us, never got touched by the scrubbers.

24 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I just liked beer and singing and shouting loud..

In fact it was my mate when we were about 17 that was stood on by a police horse in derby..and started the mini riot..

Then we were chased by derby fans..were definatly not hooligans

No mate, i agree, wrong choice of words on my part. I guess my point was we look on this with nostalgia, just high jinks, but very similar behaviour by the kids now is frowned upon... maybe we should let up a bit when they act daft with throwing beer about etc, hence the double standard comment