Favourite Away Grounds...

Guest Hillsborough Mole

7 hours ago, The Claw said:

any away ground really but port vale was always fun

Remember breaking through the gates onto their kop in the 70's. Until the police dogs were let loose :sad:.

Also remember crossing the pitch at Peterborough before a night game only to have to run back immediately as the coppers turned up.

200 yards over the muddy pitch in platform shoes and Oxford bags....

Great days.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

Didn't we get a late goal and City got 2 even later goals? Remember getting back to the car and group of City fans where waiting to give us a friendly goodbye!!

I was at this game, yes we took lead in about 87th minute with I think a retaken penalty but they scored twice during injury time. 

12 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Rushden and Diamonds old ground. Now demolished.

Didn't know this, seemed a pretty new ground when we played em, I thought they had just dropped down to non league football like Stockport County. 

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

Remember breaking through the gates onto their kop in the 70's. Until the police dogs were let loose :sad:.

Also remember crossing the pitch at Peterborough before a night game only to have to run back immediately as the coppers turned up.

200 yards over the muddy pitch in platform shoes and Oxford bags....

Great days.

I was at the portvale game,some copper chased piggy mason across the cop and rained his truncheon into his head.one of the dogs bit my pals leg

One of my fav away days was always the baseball ground,now sadly no more,I remember alan biley torturing our defence when werent supposed to be there,the Harkes stunner,john O Hares scuffed effort eluding Pete Springett,scaling fences yelling Wednesday aggro to get in the Derby end,hitting their keeper with a bog roll when Banno scuffed one just wide in 83 had some memorable nights n days watching us there,picked a few tarts up along the way as well,roumer was 3 birds to every guy in derby,great odds couldnt resist temptation WTF:

Loved The Dell - such an odd little ground in the middle of one of the best parts of the City - don't think i ever saw us lose there

Also Highbury - such a majestic old place - funny but when on the North Bank (FA Cup semi v Brighton) it looked a bit scrubby looking out to the Clock End - but being in the Clock End looking toward the North Bank it looked so much better - unfortunately not a happy hunting ground - don't think i ever saw us win there and the pain of the semi final defeat took forever to go away

Also another ecletic ground was The Vetch Field - i loved the quirkiness of it

Doubt we'll ever see such grounds again as they become ever more uniform in construction

It's why we should cherish Hillsborough

12 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

... that no longer exist

Back in the 80s going away seemed like such an adventure

Invariably we loaded onto a 'football special' train - 'The Inter City Owl' and took over grounds wherever we went, the atmosphere on the train was always incredible, groups of lads playing cards, having a drink in old railway carriages...

The cost was usually manageable, and groups of lads from school would travel together.

Some of my favourite away Grounds from back then no longer exist. Loved going to Burnden Park, Bolton and the Victoria Ground, Stoke. My favourite was always Millmoor, there would be Wednesday fans in all areas of the ground and you'd always identify where they were when we scored

Met a new girlfriend on an away train to Huddersfield once. Lovely lass, from Wincobank. Cracking bangers :-)

Think my all time favourite away day back then was the train to Newcastle, Shelton's overhead kick and the walk back to the station through Newcastle town centre. Some idiot throwing a large wooden cable drum off the roof of a shopping centre at the fans below.

Crazy days, but totally reinforced the love for the club and kept me going all this time

What were your favourite grounds?

I remember that Newcastle trip. Cant believe my parents let me go as i was only about 14 at the time. We were pelted by coins throughout the game and had to shut the curtains on the train as we received a nice send off from their fans chucking rocks at the train. Not sure what protection the curtains offered us!

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Didn't know this, seemed a pretty new ground when we played em, I thought they had just dropped down to non league football like Stockport County. 

Think the club were liquidated in 2011?? The new club AFC Rushden and Diamonds I believe are playing in the Southern Premier league. They won their 3rd consecutive promotion I think last season

2 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I just liked beer and singing and shouting loud..

In fact it was my mate when we were about 17 that was stood on by a police horse in derby..and started the mini riot..

Then we were chased by derby fans..were definatly not hooligans

Remember some great games at the Baseball ground, proper atmosphere when we played there too. 

The names were classic too on those lost grounds and seemed to give them extra character and individuality. 

The Dell, Ayresome and Roker Park, Plough Lane, the Baseball ground, Filbert street etc etc.

Burnden Park - a properly industrial ring to it.

..all lost forever to a different time and game.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

If we're talking about grounds that no longer exits the following spring to mind:

Millmoor - we'd be everywhere

Saltergate - A hole that was falling apart

Belle Vue - If it was a dry day we'd almost choke when we scored because the terracing was cinders held in place by railway sleepers

The Racecourse - Totally quirky and they served growlers!

Goldstone Ground - Equally quirky and a good day at the coast to boot

Victoria Ground (Stoke) - One of the better away experiences

Gay Meadow - Tiny and quirky

Feethams - Again quirky but some right evil rumblezoids used to come in from all around just to cause trouble because we took a large following

Ayresome Park - Hated the place, we never won there and I got battered

Highbury - Thought it was vastly overated

Maine Road - The same

Plough Lane - parts of it looked like it had been put together by the fans, probably Millwall fans!

The Dell - Smashing ground, totally quirky and the locals were decent too.

My all time favourites out of those would probably be The Dell and The Racecourse.

6 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Anyone remember Oxford`s old stadium the Manor Ground ?

It used to make me chuckle because it was so....random, there were just little stands that didnt fill the area that seemed to have just been plonked there on a whim.

The FA Cup game there was brilliant.

I remember a bloke(s) on the floodlights that day.

Is it just me or was better going away in the 80's, not much hassle getting tickets in fact 90% of the time just potg. So could just go at short notice.

There was also the edginess of going away to certain grounds cities etc which as a younger then was a bit of a buzz and on the odd occasion got a little out of hand. Going away now seems to be the only hassle is with our own fans on each other.

Went on the Internet City Owl to Notts County in the 70's, won 5-1, the fans wrecked the train on the way back! My dad turned to me and said 'I think that'll be the last time we do that'. Favourite ground now got to be Fulham.

14 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I was at the portvale game,some copper chased piggy mason across the cop and rained his truncheon into his head.one of the dogs bit my pals leg

Fortunately I was at the back singing Wednesday Aggro.

Guest The Claw
21 hours ago, Watto said:

Nasty foo.kers those lot , remember going there at the end of the promotion season 90-91 and was getting 'offered out' which was a first that season , they really took offence that we brought thousands that day lol

Burslem boot boys