Wednesday fans cars broke into/smashed on Herries Road

14 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

Worth a fund to get a few "angels" to act as a "deterant"

You stop the problem on Herries road they just move somewhere else. To them it's a game. They know that very little will happen to them if they get caught

14 hours ago, darra said:

You do know that coppers pay 20% of their salary every month as a contribution to their pension? How much do you pay into your personal pension plan out of interest

not according to this.

In line with other public sector organisations, the police force replaced its final salary scheme with a CARE scheme in 2015. Although some employees will stay in the old pension, anyone joining the force since April 2015 will be a member of the new scheme.

This entitles them to an annual contribution of 1/55.3th of their earnings, which is revalued each year by CPI plus 1.25%. To receive this, police officers pay in 12.44% if they earn less than £27,000, rising to 13.78% if they're on more than £60,000.

Typical retirement income:
A 30 year old police officer on a salary of £30,000 will receive a pension of around £28,000 if he retires at age 60. If he takes the maximum tax free cash at retirement - £120,000 - this will reduce his annual pension to £18,000.

2 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

not according to this.

In line with other public sector organisations, the police force replaced its final salary scheme with a CARE scheme in 2015. Although some employees will stay in the old pension, anyone joining the force since April 2015 will be a member of the new scheme.

This entitles them to an annual contribution of 1/55.3th of their earnings, which is revalued each year by CPI plus 1.25%. To receive this, police officers pay in 12.44% if they earn less than £27,000, rising to 13.78% if they're on more than £60,000.

A 30 year old police officer on a salary of £30,000 will receive a pension of around £28,000 if he retires at age 60. If he takes the maximum tax free cash at retirement - £120,000 - this will reduce his annual pension to £18,000.

I was talking about the final salary scheme.  NHS scheme is no longer final salary.

Edited by darra
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

not according to this.

That's incorrect. My brother in law has done 18 years and is a PC, He won't get anywhere near £120,000 as a full lump sum and he definitely won't be getting an annual pension of £18k. I know because I work in the finance sector and have given him some advice.

Oh, and his pension contributions per month are almost the same as my mortgage payments.

How much do you put to one side each month?

The government have done a superb job of turning the public against the police so they can cut them again and again. That's why the criminals are running wild.

Edited by Steelman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookowl said:

not according to this.

Pension contributions are subject to tax relief, up to the highest rate. 

3 hours ago, Steelman said:

That's incorrect. My brother in law has done 18 years and is a PC, He won't get anywhere near £120,000 as a full lump sum and he definitely won't be getting an annual pension of £18k. I know because I work in the finance sector and have given him some advice.

Oh, and his pension contributions per month are almost the same as my mortgage payments.

How much do you put to one side each month?

The government have done a superb job of turning the public against the police so they can cut them again and again. That's why the criminals are running wild.

Same with the NHS mate. They scrapped the final salary scheme for all new staff the increased the payments staff had to make for the final salary scheme from iirc 7% of your monthly salary to 9% then decreased the amount you would get when you retiref. Many included me lost out on a chunk of money. 9% is a lot of money even when you ain't earning that much. I worked with a social worker whos husband was a D I in the police. He'd got 28 years when he retired and just made a 6 figure lump sum but was contributing 20% of his salary.

2 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Back on topic, the Herries Road car vandalism issue is well known, I have an innovative suggestion, stop parking on it. 

I stopped 20 years ago ,I wouldn't park round there if someone even paid me a tenner to each game,just not worth it and spending whole game worrying if your car will be smashed up, nar that's not fun.