2003-4 season stats

It's funny what sticks out when reading that - we played Carlisle on 9th December in the North QF of the FLT. I vividly remember listening to the game on RS and JP and

Paul Walker got into an augment. PW was basically taking the wee wee out of us in what we'd become, and JP laid into him saying it was still an important game for the fans who'd travelled etc. JP - loyal to the end.

• Thanks 1

pre-season 2003 was Donny away weren't it when about 5,000 turned up, loads couldn't get in & then all trouble before/after led to loads of our lot getting banned

carnage that day, wednesday just rampaged through Donny, I couldn't believe what I was seeing 

I remember the stink Radio Sheffield kicked up at the end of the season when Derek Geary and Alan Quinn were released and subsequently went to the Blades. Stephen Quinn subsequently left from our Academy to the Blades also. I recall RS then used it as a rebranding exercise the following season with  Basement Jaxx "Good Luck" being their new anthem of misery based on the above story. Not that I'm bitter.... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember them being interviewed about there contract releases. They obviously were not that impressed with Wednesday. They weren't the only players released and the dip in form by Wednesday was surely down to players being disgruntled about not being offered new contracts. I guess we have a warning of how things may turn out this year with all the contacts we have expiring at the end of this season. 

I used to think Ndumbu Nsungu was a decent player at that level. Grant Holt was also a decent player who came in after the clear out. He wasn't appreciated by all, like Nuhiu today, but in the end he went onto greater things away from Wednesday. 

55 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I remember the stink Radio Sheffield kicked up at the end of the season when Derek Geary and Alan Quinn were released and subsequently went to the Blades. Stephen Quinn subsequently left from our Academy to the Blades also.

Bromby was another for that list too. All of them left that summer and ended up played for the Blades in the PL. 

32 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

A blast from the past lol

I remember Chris Carr playing one game against QPR on day they went up and scored an OG. 

Does anyone remember the lad from Sunderland? Michael Reddy? 

Wasn't he the season before along with Lee Bradbury.

My dad started properly taking me a couple years before this season as we were back living in the UK. It was around this time though that I started to suspect he was punishing me for something, no idea what I’d done wrong though 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Wasn't he the season before along with Lee Bradbury.

1 hour ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Yes quite possibly mate, I remember him scoring a last minute goal away at Portsmouth but as you say might have been the season before.

We then allowed Alan Quinn to go out on loan to Sunderland in return for us having Michael Reddy for 3 months I think. I seem to remember he scored a fantastic goal against Barnsley in the LDV Vans Trophy. Apart from that, I can't recall him scoring in any other match

Probably the only highlight of that season was Derek Gearys challenge on that scumbag at home to Brighton. I've never known fans to cheer a stretcher come on like that. That or seeing the reserves win one of the trophies beating Tranmere in the final (I think it was).

Second worst season of following the Owls, no where near as bad as the season under Irvine and Megson. 

Edited by katie melua

4 hours ago, kristmace said:

Bromby was another for that list too. All of them left that summer and ended up played for the Blades in the PL. 

I'm sure we didn't have a choice, it beggers belief we got relegated with them in the first place though. 

Derek Geary playing in the Premier League was quiet a shock. I think Wednesday had made a statement saying his cruciate wasn't up to warrant a new contract. Two years later he's playing in the Premier. Biggest turnaround in a career until Leon Clarke tore up the Championship last year. 

8 hours ago, kristmace said:

Bored yesterday afternoon so got on with a Wednesday related job: A Wikipedia page for the 2003-4 season - the only season we've had since 1990 that doesn't have one. What an absolute shower we were that year!

Anyway, here it is. Please let me know if there are any errors, and also where I might be able to get the attendances for each game from. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._season

That squad is dark reading

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fantastic season.

We reached the Johnstone Paint Trophy northern semi final. Got knocked out by Blackpool. 

Only two clubs have ever beaten us 4 times in the same season. The first was Manchester United when we met them in the 1993/4 league cup semi-final over two legs in addition to the routine league games. No shame there.

But the other was Blackpool in 2003/4.

:sad: